Mayor of Liverpool asks Cameron to apologise

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styles wrote: »
    Liverpool seems to love wallowing in its victimhood, any other county would have been over it by now.

I don't think there's another city anywhere in the world which enjoys playing the victim so much. Many bad things have been said about London, and even worse done to it, over the years but they ignore it and move on.

What The Sun said about those Liverpool fans was disgraceful but beyond the unreserved apology what more do they want? I don't hold a grudge against Germans because the Luftwaffe bombed my grandad's house.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I don't think there's another city anywhere in the world which enjoys playing the victim so much. Many bad things have been said about London, and even worse done to it, over the years but they ignore it and move on.

What The Sun said about those Liverpool fans was disgraceful but beyond the unreserved apology what more do they want? I don't hold a grudge against Germans because the Luftwaffe bombed my grandad's house.

This really puts things in perspective.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    iamsofired wrote: »
    This really puts things in perspective.

there are lots of things that have happened over a similar sort of time period that are much much worse. there are wars, genocides, terrorism, that have been forgiven in less time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    there are lots of things that have happened over a similar sort of time period that are much much worse. there are wars, genocides, terrorism, that have been forgiven in less time.

There are Crimes Against Humanity but they aren't as bad a Crimes Against Liverpool.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mandella's walk to freedom in 1990, the Good Friday Agreement in 1998, even the former Yugoslavian countries seem to have moved on. It makes you think doesn't it?
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not saying the Sun deliberately chose to issue their paper to every household at the same time the Hillsborough inquest is going on, but maybe by doing so it is playing some part in the Liverpool football fans feelings towards the Sun at this time.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can't really compare bricks and mortar to a human being. Had your grandad been killed when the bomb hit the house, than maybe you would have a different opinion. (the good thing is that the following generation move on.

Relatives of the victims of the Hillsborough disaster are still alive - maybe they'll never get over their loss.
    The fact that the Sun is promoting the World Cup is like rubbing salt into a wound for some of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying the Sun deliberately chose to issue their paper to every household at the same time the Hillsborough inquest is going on, but maybe by doing so it is playing some part in the Liverpool football fans feelings towards the Sun at this time.

Have official spokespeople for the HIllsborough Family Support Group spoken on this matter or are people taking offence on their behalf? As I said earlier, people like the mayor and councillor seem to using this tradegy for their own ends rather than speaking for those people directly affected by the tradegy.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    You can't really compare bricks and mortar to a human being. Had your grandad been killed when the bomb hit the house, than maybe you would have a different opinion. (the good thing is that the following generation move on.

Relatives of the victims of the Hillsborough disaster are still alive - maybe they'll never get over their loss.
    The fact that the Sun is promoting the World Cup is like rubbing salt into a wound for some of them.

just a pedantic point. people also died in the second world war.

and the sun didn't kill anyone. they said something rude. for which they issued an reserved apology.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

The deaths weren't the suns fault though, and they only reported what other papers reported at the time from police sources. The sun is the biggest selling paper in the country so is it the politicans that are out of touch on this or the people (who im sure have never made mistakes) still clinging to decades of resentment?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Have official spokespeople for the HIllsborough Family Support Group spoken on this matter or are people taking offence on their behalf? As I said earlier, people like the mayor and councillor seem to using this tradegy for their own ends rather than speaking for those people directly affected by the tradegy.

i have no idea, I was just putting forward a suggestion for what the reason behind it could be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So are you saying that The Sun shouldn't mention the World Cup just so that Liverpool don't get upset?

I've heard of "Don''t mention the war" but that is ridiculous.

Besides, they aren't promoting the World Cup - it doesn't need promoting - they are using the World Cup to promote themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »

You could also ask whether the postmen who are refusing to deliver the Sun are speaking on behalf of the people living on Mereseyside or just themselves.

I live in Merseyside and no post men have asked me if I would object to them posting the Sun through my letterbox.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    It's really interesting that neither in this thread nor in the other one regarding the postal staff refusing to deliver the free copy of The Sun has anyone from Merseyside sought to give a rational argument for their city's obsessive attitude. A few posters have simply reflected the same obsession but none have sought to explain or defend it. They seem to just take for granted that their city is right.

Let me be clear. Most of the rest of the country are baffled by you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Expect to see Kelvin MacKenzie on BBC QT in the near future - the corp will want to cash in on this one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just a pedantic point. people also died in the second world war.

and the sun didn't kill anyone. they said something rude. for which they issued an reserved apology.

It wasn't just 'something rude' - there were several things. Even if they issued an apology, it obviously takes some people longer to get over things.
    It was four years later that the then publicity-averse Kelvin MacKenzie went public for the first time about the calamitous decision to call Liverpudlians liars and thieves who preyed off the dying and dead.

"I regret Hillsborough," he said. "It was a fundamental mistake. The mistake was I believed what an MP said. It was a Tory MP. If he had not said it and the chief superintendent had not agreed with it, we would not have gone with it," he told the Commons national heritage committee in January, 1993.

However, the Hillsborough survivors' group felt his words amounted to a less than sufficient apology.
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/jul/07/pressandpublishing.football1
    iamsofired wrote: »
    The deaths weren't the suns fault though, and they only reported what other papers reported at the time from police sources. The sun is the biggest selling paper in the country so is it the politicans that are out of touch on this or the people (who im sure have never made mistakes) still clinging to decades of resentment?
    I know it wasn't. I watched the whole disaster live on tv. It was truly shocking.
    So are you saying that The Sun shouldn't mention the World Cup just so that Liverpool don't get upset?

I've heard of "Don''t mention the war" but that is ridiculous.

Besides, they aren't promoting the World Cup - it doesn't need promoting - they are using the World Cup to promote themselves.

Sort of. They're not simply mentioning it. They're promoting it with all the politicians. Why can't they stick to Cricket or snooker or something and let someone else promote the World Cup?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    It's really interesting that neither in this thread nor in the other one regarding the postal staff refusing to deliver the free copy of The Sun has anyone from Merseyside sought to give a rational argument for their city's obsessive attitude. A few posters have simply reflected the same obsession but none have sought to explain or defend it. They seem to just take for granted that their city is right.

The people in Liverpool haven't got together and banned post men from delivering the Sun through their letter boxes, it's the post men themselves who have refused to deliver them.

We haven't had it delivered around here but that isn't because we have told the postman we don't want it he just hasn't had them to deliver, or if he has he's left them in his post van and got rid of them somewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why would they need to explain something which is so obvious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could also ask whether the postmen who are refusing to deliver the Sun are speaking on behalf of the people living on Mereseyside or just themselves.

I live in Merseyside and no post men have asked me if I would object to them posting the Sun through my letterbox.

Maybe I should have mentioned the posties but the story has moved on from them.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

It's one of the biggest events in the world, what are they supposed to do?

Anyone would feel for their loss, but it was 25 years ago - the rest of the world can't base everything they do around Hillsborough.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

Why would they need to explain something which is so obvious.

What a classic Liverpool response!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    It's one of the biggest events in the world, what are they supposed to do?

Anyone would feel for their loss, but it was 25 years ago - the rest of the world can't base everything they do around Hillsborough.

Seriously, I don't care what the Sun does (I don't buy it) but in this case did they really need politicians to pose for it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing. That pretty much sums up Liverpool football club. Bang on about nasty Murdoch and The Sun, no mention of boycotting Sky Sports.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a classic Liverpool response!

LOL Is it?

I'm neither a Liverpudlian nor do I live in Liverpool - I'm a Londoner. It doesn't mean I can't have sympathy for those in Liverpool :)
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously, I don't care what the Sun does (I don't buy it) but in this case did they really need politicians to pose for it?

I don't know if they needed to, they decided they wanted to though, and said politicians agreed to it, so that's all there really is to say about it.

Those in Liverpool are never going to accept an apology from The Sun and will always be offended by whatever they do. At some point The Sun have just had to accept that and get on with things, instead of pandering to a small section of the country. They chose to not have it delivered in Liverpool, what more do you want them to do?