Options

The Vatican want to ban Hallloween

Comments

• Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    I'm guessing because Catholics / The Pope don't get taken very seriously any more.

Millions of people worldwide take him seriously.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder they want to ban it. I mean, there's no such thing as ghosts and ghouls. Good on them for sticking to their beliefs that are totally provable ........ Oh no, hang on. :confused:
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Not so seriously they blow themselves up, cut people's heads off, or stone people to death in the name of their religion though.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,586
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Not so seriously they blow themselves up or cut people's heads off though.

Probably because the Pope hasn't suggested that they do anything like that!
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Probably because the Pope hasn't suggested that they do anything like that!
    Thank god!
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random anti-religion fill in the blanks post.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They daren't do anything else. They'll get hell or purgatory but babies are spared limbo now.

http://www.global-air.com/global/graphics/top%20pop%20benedict%20limbo.gif

This one over-ruled God apparently. Much too big for his boots..
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyr wrote: »
    Christians trying to hijack a pagan tradition? Nothing new here then.

My laugh out loud for today on here.
    So true.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Can't we just ban religion instead?

Halloween or religion, what causes the most wars, hatred and bloodshed?

Neither do. People do that.
  • Options
    TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an Americanism, good enough reason to ban it, p.s. I know it originated in Britain before some know it alls start to explain it.

Guess we should ban blue jeans too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I think that The Vatican should merge into Italy, THEN Italy ban Halloween altogether instead.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are they hijacking it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

High jacking? Did you mean that?

I got the most amusing vision of them in different frocks, prancing around the Vatican dressed as witches. It seems more apt somehow. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that The Vatican should merge into Italy, THEN Italy ban Halloween altogether instead.

And apply the law to child abusers. Win win.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Father Aldo Buonaiuto, of the International Association of Exorcists, said the organisation's emergency number receives around 40 calls a day over this period
    they were probably from a Bangalore call centre saying they'd help him with the problems with his possessed computer.
    "Can't I just turn it off and resurrect it again?"
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    It's an Americanism, good enough reason to ban it, p.s. I know it originated in Britain before some know it alls start to explain it.

If you know it originated in Britain (actually it originated in Ireland and Scotland), then why claim it's an Americanism when it is obvious that it isn't?
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish they would ban all the thousands of nonces, rapists and sadists in the Catholic church.

You only have to look at Ireland to see how the promise of power over the lives of the weak, sick and vulnerable of society attracted so many functional psychopaths (male and female) to the church.

The Magdalene laundries for example - what a wonderful institution they were. >:(
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never gunna happen, especially in the USA

It's a very big event on the calendar over there, and increasingly so in the Uk, as well

Vatican? Go back in your darkened rooms, and pretend you are communicating with the Almighty
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you know it originated in Britain (actually it originated in Ireland and Scotland), then why claim it's an Americanism when it is obvious that it isn't?

You know why it's an Americanism but let me explain. The old British tradition had almost died out except for a few people apple bobbing and making turnip lamps.Then about 20 or so years ago because of American films and t.v. we started importing pumpkin lamps, pumpkins aren't British, dressing up and Trick or treating. We never had these things previously.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Come Wednesday at Lewes, a Pope will be burnt. As sure as eggs are eggs.

:p
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    We used to go guising as kids.

Despite the name, "guising" had nothing to do with Guy Fawkes Night a few days later. It referred to "disguise".

The "trick or treat" thing is an Americanism. If we got nothing from a house, we'd just try the next door along. There were no "tricks".
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/pope-wants-ban-halloween-because-4533824

Hmm it's not front page news in any paper wonder why that is ? :confused:. If it was a certain other religion people would be screaming from the rooftops how disgusting it all was .

After reading the article this has nothing to do with the Pope at all and is some vague 'Catholic church exorcists'. Sometimes people need to recognise that not everything they see in a newspaper is actually the truth.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justatech wrote: »
    After reading the article this has nothing to do with the Pope at all and is some vague 'Catholic church exorcists'. Sometimes people need to recognise that not everything they see in a newspaper is actually the truth.

Indeed. It's like "Muslims want to ban Peppa Pig" but with Catholicism. Bunch of arse either way, but people still fall for it every time.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I never knew there was an International Association of Exorcists. I guess you learn something new every day.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why doesn't the RC church try banning child abuse carried out by it's corrupt preists? surely that would be far more constructive.Oh of course, silly me, it's institutional.