Unsolicited calls concerning your computer

Comments

• radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the more reason for them to come knocking on my door.
    LOL
  • TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got a message pop up on my test laptop (which is exposed to all manner of malware, PUPs etc. for testing purposes) instructing me to call Microsoft as I had a virus!!!!!!!!!!

The number I was instructed to phone is 08006101013.

So I did.

Best free 30 minutes entertainment for a while. :D:D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trajet wrote: »
    Just got a message pop up on my test laptop (which is exposed to all manner of malware, PUPs etc. for testing purposes) instructing me to call Microsoft as I had a virus!!!!!!!!!!

The number I was instructed to phone is 08006101013.

So I did.

Best free 30 minutes entertainment for a while. :D:D

After entering that number into Google...

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-call-0800-610-1013-for-immediate-support-virus/
  • TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

That's the one.

I didn't let them connect, but even if I did it wouldn't have bothered me as I was using my test machine.
  • jamctjamct Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had 6 of these calls this year to date. For the 2nd one I pretended that I was following an Asian lady's instructions and when she asked me what I could see on my monitor I said '' A video of you in a prison cell". She told me I was evil at which point I ended the call. On the 4 calls since I have used a personal 'screech' alarm. Hopefully they now have 'noise-induced' hearing loss. :p All the phone numbers were untraceable.
  • KunashKunash Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had an Indian gentleman phone me up, saying he was from microsoft, and as i had registered with microsoft they get sent details from my computer about any threats i have on my computer. he said i have a threat on my computer that could at any stage shut my computer down

the line was quite bad. so it was hard to hear him. he said if i typed something on my computer he coud tell me my computer serial number, which would identify him as being genuine. i said ok, so what would you like me to do?

he said press the windows flag logo ( bottom left ) and the r key.

so i asked him again who he worked for, he replied microsoft. i asked him for his direct dial number. he didnt like this, but i kept asking. and he eventually gave me a number. i asked what town he worked in, he didnt reply to that. he got a bit shirty with with me, and i reminded him that he cold called me and i was a little suspicious. he finally got fed up of my questions and hanged up

i rang the number he gave, and it was an old ladies private number.

so nothing lost there, which is good. if he had been genuine he would never have hanged up on me.

but does microsoft have such a system where they can detect threats on my computer, and then phone and let me know?

very odd phonecall
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MS does not do such calls, you have to call them to get support, it wasn't MS.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum about this very subject

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1435992

Basically it is a total and utter scam. Microsoft do not have any means of knowing how infested with malware your PC is and probably care even less. All this scam wants you to do is part with cash for some totally useless clean up scam or to gain access to your computer to try and harvest any personal data it can find.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised Microsoft haven't tried to go after these scammers themselves.
  • JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I had one the other day - I called him a lying b*****d and to **** off. I hadn't time to mess about but one day I'm going to lead them down the garden path and have a bit of fun. I believe the thread referred to has some interesting anecdotes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamesE wrote: »
    I had one the other day - I called him a lying b*****d and to **** off. I hadn't time to mess about but one day I'm going to lead them down the garden path and have a bit of fun. I believe the thread referred to has some interesting anecdotes.

They could have put your number in a long list of phone numbers where people have either mucked them about or just told them where to go.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kunash wrote: »
    the line was quite bad. so it was hard to hear him. he said if i typed something on my computer he coud tell me my computer serial number, which would identify him as being genuine. i said ok, so what would you like me to do?

he said press the windows flag logo ( bottom left ) and the r key.

This is quite common and unfortunately caught out an elderly gentleman who I sometimes do support for. Basically they ask you open a CMD shell and ask you to get your PC license key by typing in a command. The command they tell you give is ASSOC and gives CLSID,

ZFSendToTarget=CLSID{888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062}

People don't realise its the same value on all PC and are taken in by the scam. Fortunately my friend didn't go as far as making a payment to these guys but he installed some remote control software so I said the safest thing would be wipe and re-install the PC.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'm surprised Microsoft haven't tried to go after these scammers themselves.

Microsoft takes on tech support scammers
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why had this been removed from a sticky ?
    Answer please from a mod.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why had this been removed from a sticky ?
    Answer please from a mod.

It was merged with another thread on the same topic, but perhaps the "wrong" way?
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a really nice chat with a British Gas woman in New Delhi the other day.

I think she was bored and I couldn't get her off the line what with how nice the city is, and I ought to visit sometime, but not now because it's hot.

She was of course after money as well. Trouble is, there's a valid reason for that.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always time waste them act as if you have no idea and go along with it, then just him them with it.
  • Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I just signed in to check this thread, because we just got a phone call from one of these scammers.

It wasn't the first time we have had one.

I got Mr. Tenna; he loves fooling around with these guys. As per usual, it was an Indian sounding gent calling, and the line was horrific. We could hear babbling male voices in the background - likely other scammers pestering other people.

If these guys really annoy you and you don't want to play around with them and have some fun, get a whistle and let the scammer have a good blast of it in his ear!
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I've not had any calls for a while, I wonder if their is a "cycle" based on updated lists of names and numbers being issued to the people who make these calls.

Having a little call centre experience I now put all sales calls to my home number "through security". I ask loads and loads of personal questions, asking first names, surnames, home address, telephone numbers, all the numbers on their bank and credit cards and PIN - soon gets rid of them:D.
  • riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They called a lot of people round here a couple of weeks ago, me included.
    Tell then that you're glad they rang because your Apple Mac has been playing up, can they fix it and they'll put the phone down instantly!
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My grandfather received a call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft's I.T department. They gave him the usual speil about there may be something wrong with his computer. My dad regular scans his computer and recently upgraded the memory for faster performance.

My grandfather is usually on the ball with these scam phone calls but the Indian guy on the phone managed to convince him something might be wrong. He rang again just now while I was there and my grandad passed the phone to me. It was an Indian man speaking in broken English and the signal of the call was very poor.

They left a number on 1471 but nothing comes up with Google.

The number 1471 says: 003 254 578 458.

Has anyone seen a similar number or had calls from this number before?
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always search without the spaces, but often you don't get any informative hits.

Make sure Grandad understands never to give out any details for computers, banks, utilities, surveys, double-glazing, home insulation or whatever. He doesn't even have to talk to them. Just end the call.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I always search without the spaces, but often you don't get any informative hits.

Make sure Grandad understands never to give out any details for computers, banks, utilities, surveys, double-glazing, home insulation or whatever. He doesn't even have to talk to them. Just end the call.

Or buy him a call blocker.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I have received "Microsoft" calls in the past but not recently. The current campaigns seem to be for solar energy and the latest one is "charges on packaged bank accounts".

I have wondered where these callers get the numbers from and these companies came up in my searches

http://www.elitemarketingdata.co.uk/index.html
    http://www.ipt-ltd.co.uk/
    http://www.ukdatahouse.com/

I do not know if they sell data to indian call centres as I have no connection with any of them. The company that called today asked to speak to a relative who died 7 years ago and I sent off the TPS and MPS forms from the registrar's office at the time. The company told me they were given the number by "Ukdatahouse" who are obviously not filtering the data.