Spitfire Women

academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
Forum Member
✭✭
The programme was about the women who flew in the last war. They were amazing and from the look of the ones still alive to be interviewed, they still are. Marvellous programme.

Comments

• aligailaligail Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    The programme was about the women who flew in the last war. They were amazing and from the look of the ones still alive to be interviewed, they still are. Marvellous programme.
    I'm glad some one else watched it too! It was fantastic . I watched the first showing on Saturday night and went to the library today to order the book about them.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aligail wrote: »
    I'm glad some one else watched it too! It was fantastic . I watched the first showing on Saturday night and went to the library today to order the book about them.

The book is fantastic - full of stories about them all. Wait till you read about the one who sank to the bottom of the Firth of Forth...:D
    Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
  • MetermaidMetermaid Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what a brilliant programme. The story has all the ingredients for a fantastic film. Really loved it. :)
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonderful programme, very well made and hats off to these ladies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cracking programme - I never knew about them

They are game old gals too :D
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    Cracking programme - I never knew about them

They are game old gals too :D

I don't think they make them like that any more!
  • davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent documentary. I watched it on Saturday and was so impressed I watched it again last night. It was so well put together with the interviews and narration being seamlessly edited together.

On a personal note I have had the pleasure of meeting one of the ATA many years ago, the mother of a girlfriend. Even as a gauche teenager in the 70s I was suitably in awe of this redoubtable woman who flew Spitfires. :)
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Missed it damn. Are they the women who ferried the Spits from the factory to the airfield? Talking about the doco Wellington bomber, got a bit teary at the film where the women built a Wellington bomber in record time. Reminded me of a another doco when an elderly woman who helped build Lancasters said "I'd like to think I did my bit for the war effort"- well you damn well did.
  • WatlingA5WatlingA5 Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    My EPG shows:

BBC4, 01.30 Thursday (that's Wed night/Thurs morning; possibly with sign language at that time)

BBC2, 19.00 Thursday, September 30 (that's a week on Thursday).

Set your timers - this really is worth watching. Unsung heroes of the Battle of Britain, delivering unarmed planes from the factories to the front line with no radio, navigating by looking for landmarks :eek:
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The programme must have been a repeat from a few years ago, as I remember the interview with the woman who'd stepped out of a Lancaster and asked the ground crew to take her to the control tower. They said they were waiting for the pilot. When she told them she was the pilot they didn't believe her and went and searched the plane.
    Great programme.
    Forum Member
    Copyright date at end is 2009, but even "new" programmes often incorporate material from earlier shows.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    It was a really enjoyable programme, especially since I knew Diana Barnato Walker (mentioned a couple of times... she powdered her nose before landing planes) and her son Barney and I have a signed copy of her excellent book "Spreading my Wings".

Her father, Woolf Barnato, was a car racing driver, so speed and thrills has always been part of her affluent life (Woolf's father was part of De Beers Diamond Mining)! Diana not only flew spitfires, she flew many hundreds of planes... including a Lightning... through the sound barrier, when she became known as the fastest woman in the world!

Diana was an amazing woman, who was always very glamorous and sadly she died, aged 90, two years ago.
    Forum Member
    It's scheduled to be shown on BBC2 next Thursday (30th) at 7pm.
  • davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a really enjoyable programme, especially since I knew Diana Barnato Walker (mentioned a couple of times... she powdered her nose before landing planes) and her son Barney and I have a signed copy of her excellent book "Spreading my Wings".

Her father, Woolf Barnato, was a car racing driver, so speed and thrills has always been part of her affluent life (Woolf's father was part of De Beers Diamond Mining)! Diana not only flew spitfires, she flew many hundreds of planes... including a Lightning... through the sound barrier, when she became known as the fastest woman in the world!

Diana was an amazing woman, who was always very glamorous and sadly she died, aged 90, two years ago.

Woolf 'babe' Barnato was one of the famous Bentley boys and for a short while owned the company after it got into difficulties during the depression. Some excellent stories about Woolf can be found in W.O. Bentleys autobiography.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidseven wrote: »
    Woolf 'babe' Barnato was one of the famous Bentley boys and for a short while owned the company after it got into difficulties during the depression. Some excellent stories about Woolf can be found in W.O. Bentleys autobiography.

Bit of trivia - Barnato is the only driver to date with a 100% winning record at the Le Mans 24 Hours - entered three times, won three times.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Bumpity bump as this is on again on BBC4 now.
    Seen it a few times, always worth watching again.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know a little about Diana Barnato Walker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Barnato_Walker

This was at one time Woolf's pre-war family home in West London. It was designed by Robert Lutyens the son of Edwin Lutyens, of Cenotaph fame.
    I was shown round it about ten years ago, at the time it was a rather posh nursing home.

scan0001.png
  • aligailaligail Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Bumpity bump as this is on again on BBC4 now.
    Seen it a few times, always worth watching again.

I have just watched it again and enjoyed it just as much second time round. Fantastic programme about wonderful women. Flying all those different planes with no maps or radios was just incredible.
    Forum Member
    aligail wrote: »
    I have just watched it again and enjoyed it just as much second time round. Fantastic programme about wonderful women. Flying all those different planes with no maps or radios was just incredible.

Probably the 4 or 5th time I've watched, recorded it the first time round.

Anyone know if the soldiers of Empire or the 2 Walter Tull based programs been repeated in the last month or so of remembrance related programs?
    Forum Member
    Just noticed this was back on the Iplayer, missed it's broadcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tw1m1

During World War II, a remarkable band of female pilots fought against all odds for the right to aid the war effort. Without these Spitfire Women, the war may never have been won.

Using interviews with the last few surviving veterans, archive footage and dramatic reconstruction, this documentary brings to life the forgotten story of the ATA. The resilience of these women in the face of open discrimination is one of the most inspiring and overlooked milestones in women's rights. Their story is one of courage, sexism and patriotism, but above all a story about women who want to break the confines of the world they live in and reach for the skies.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    My grandmother was one of these pilots. She used to deliver them to airfields all over Britain, but mainly the East coast stations, especially Manston. She joined because my grandfather was away in Africa and she was bored. - my mother was 12 and was sent to her aunt to stay while my nan 'did her bit'.

I have a fabulous picture of her standing in the 'casual elbow on the wing' stance on a Spitfire, goggles in hand. My grandfather had no knowledge of what she was doing and was totally nonplussed when he eventually came back from Burma and Japan in '47 and learnt what his wife had done.

She never flew again after her wartime service saying that 'It needed to be done, so I did it, even though I didn't like it that much. Why would I want to do it again?'.
    Forum Member
    Some of the women a loved it.
    One is gets quite misty eyed about it and says they were the best days of her life.
    Another says she never wanted the war to end for purely selfish reasons, despite losing those close to her.

Saw another documentary about the ATA the other day, chap who joined at 14 as a general gopher/messenger also loved it, flying about derring do, general excitement and danger.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When photographing war graves for the WGPP I came across a husband and wife, both ATA, buried side by side.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The programme is on BBC2 at the moment. Very brave women.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    The programme is on BBC2 at the moment. Very brave women.
    Why brave? It was an important, essential but explicitly non-combat role. All flying has an inherent risk but that's true in peacetime too.

It was unique in terms of equality for the time, even down to the equal pay for the men and women involved.