Options

HUman League

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
Formed in the late 70s but came into their own in the 1980s
Phil Oakley said he was a big fan of Abba in the 1970s... is it just a coincidence that his band ended up .... like Abba... with two attractive girls up front... one blonde ... one brunette.
But they went their own way and were brilliant and innovative.... they even made it in America.
The blonde in Abba ... the blonde in Human League... why am I so obsessed with blondes ?
go here
http://www.mediafire.com/?pr2dolfs8zecv78
slide show of Susanne (only 14 meg )

Comments

• Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite sure where this thread will go. But I used to love them and saw them live at the Hammersmith Palais December 81 ( and since a couple of times on those 80's tours).
    Really liked them before the Heaven 17 guys split from them as well. Quite ahead of the field at the time.
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I like... Human League... they're music... is... quite good... and... my favourite... song... of their's... is... Open Your Heart.

I... like this... thread...

...:)
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Open Your Heart was beautiful, and easily one of my fave songs of the 80s. Their album track The Things that Dreams are Made of would have made an excellent single.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wiki says
    Since 1978, The Human League have released nine studio albums, four EPs and twenty-seven singles.
    They have had four albums and eight singles in the UK Top Ten, one of which was #1 (No2 in the US) and they have played over 350 live concerts.
    The band have sold more than 20 million records worldwide

Somehow 20 million LP sales does nt seem that many... when you think that Lloyd Webber sold over 40 million+ LPs just of Phantom !
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Wiki says
    Since 1978, The Human League have released nine studio albums, four EPs and twenty-seven singles.
    They have had four albums and eight singles in the UK Top Ten, one of which was #1 (No2 in the US) and they have played over 350 live concerts.
    The band have sold more than 20 million records worldwide

Somehow 20 million LP sales does nt seem that many... when you think that Lloyd Webber sold over 40 million+ LPs just of Phantom !

Strange comparrison:confused: Their biggest album, Dare, is still seen as a classic, producing some amazing singles in 1981, but comparing the sales of these 2 is like comparing the sales of houses to cream crackers:eek:
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Not quite sure where this thread will go. But I used to love them and saw them live at the Hammersmith Palais December 81 ( and since a couple of times on those 80's tours).
    Really liked them before the Heaven 17 guys split from them as well. Quite ahead of the field at the time.

saw then in derby on the same tour :)

not sure why theres another thread on thl, there was one just the other week...
  • Options
    StephenHKentStephenHKent Posts: 1,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having a nostalgia fest this evening. I saw Human League at Hammersmith Palais in 81 too. In 80/81/82 I saw:
    Depeche Mode

Soft Cell (brilliant)

Toyah (more stage presence than anyone - very underrated)

Siouxsie and the banshees
    Orchestral Manouvres in the dark
    Hazel O Connor
    The Tourists (Annie Lennox)
    Culture Club
    Duran Duran
    Ultravox
    Mari Wilson

..Great days ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having a nostalgia fest this evening. I saw Human League at Hammersmith Palais in 81 too. In 80/81/82 I saw:
    Depeche Mode

Soft Cell (brilliant)

Toyah (more stage presence than anyone - very underrated)

Siouxsie and the banshees
    Orchestral Manouvres in the dark
    Hazel O Connor
    The Tourists (Annie Lennox)
    Culture Club
    Duran Duran
    Ultravox
    Mari Wilson

..Great days ...

i too saw hazel o conor.... great artist

plus squeeze, teardrop explodes, dexys, siousxie, and the photos... (they were good!)
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, The Banshees, now, they were a live band!;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes but did Suzi Souixie ever smile ? she seemed to have contempt for everyone in the audience !
    maybe that was just a punk thing ?

She was actually in the TV studio with the sex pistols that famous night with Bill Grundy
    It was Bill making a pass at Suzie that started all the fracas !
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the track 'So Hurt' on their 1984 album (is it Dare?), the one with The Lebanon on. It's got these very plangent 'spacey' synth chords following each chorus that I love, which reminds me of really low-budget late 70s/early 80s sci-fi movies sparked by the era's VHS boom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Yes but did Suzi Souixie ever smile ? she seemed to have contempt for everyone in the audience !
    maybe that was just a punk thing ?

She was actually in the TV studio with the sex pistols that famous night with Bill Grundy
    It was Bill making a pass at Suzie that started all the fracas !

it certainly wasnt contempt, she is very grateful to her fans, punk wasnt happy poppy stuff so smiling was only empoyed when it was required! lol.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    My Favourite Human League tune is "Louise".
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I like "Don't You Want Me" but it's really the only song of theirs I know... didn't they also sing Ain't Nobody (which was later covered by Liberty X?)
  • Options
    StephenHKentStephenHKent Posts: 1,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i too saw hazel o conor.... great artist

plus squeeze, teardrop explodes, dexys, siousxie, and the photos... (they were good!)

I don't know the Photos. I'm googling and you tube-ing them now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know the Photos. I'm googling and you tube-ing them now.

'irene' was there best known, lead singer wendy woo....
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like... Human League... they're music... is... quite good... and... my favourite... song... of their's... is... Open Your Heart.

I... like this... thread...

...:)

But most of all you like hellips (...)
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'irene' was there best known, lead singer wendy woo....

From Evesham IIRC , I'm So Attractive was an excellent new wave song. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got to hand it to Phil Oakey.... its down to him that
    Human League came into existance and down to him
    that they have lasted so long....
    He is the real driving force behind
    the group and its a compliment to him that they are still popular today and still filling theatres.

The band's live performances began to gain momentum and acclaim and they were asked to support first The Rezillos then Siouxsie and the Banshees as early as September 1978.
    In December, 1978 David Bowie appeared in the audience and later declared to NME that he "had seen the future of pop music."
    end quote.

Looking at the LP .... Dare.... Phil is on the credits for most of the songs...
    wot was he a lyrics guy or a melody guy ?
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like "Don't You Want Me" but it's really the only song of theirs I know... didn't they also sing Ain't Nobody (which was later covered by Liberty X?)

No, that was Chaka Khan.

My favorite Human League track is The Things That Dreams Are Made Of and Keep Feeling Fascination.is my second choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, that was Chaka Khan.

Ah right, I wasn't sure who it was. :o It's not a bad song though.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member

They sang Being Boiled, Rufus & Chaka Khan sang Ain't Nobody - Liberty X did a mash-up of the 2 - the lyrics and melody of Ain't Nobody, music/sample of Being Boiled....it was called Being Nobody
  • Options
    Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    They have a new album out - 'Credo' and it's rather good. Saw them live this month and they are still cracking live. Got the crowd going too. It's worth catching them outside the 80's tours.

The latest single:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcii6HcBWKA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    =VoodooChic;46908670]They sang Being Boiled, Rufus & Chaka Khan sang Ain't Nobody - Liberty X did a mash-up of the 2 - the lyrics and melody of Ain't Nobody, music/sample of Being Boiled....it was called Being Nobody

indeed and tbh i thought richard x's mix (with liberty x) of these tracks was very good, as was the other hl mix he did 'finest dreams' (the finest + the things dreams are made of).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    indeed and tbh i thought richard x's mix (with liberty x) of these tracks was very good, as was the other hl mix he did 'finest dreams' (the finest + the things dreams are made of).

I loved that version of that song, a good bit of electropop :)