Forum Member
    ....and being Weegiecentric
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QuincyMD wrote: »
    ....and being Weegiecentric

The Weegie Wireless Company. ;)

Actually the one thing I will praise Radio Scotland for is it's football coverage.

But yes, you're right Mike, all they do when it comes to sport is football.
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would fund this service Martin?

The English as usual.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Radio Ulster can provide a split service for Derry in the form of Radio Foyle, then how about something similar for Scotland? Split Radio Scotland from breakfast to drive with Radio Glasgow with a TSA including Ayrshire and the West of Scotland, Radio Edinburgh including Fife, Lothians and the Borders and then a service from Aberdeen serving the Highlands, Tayside and the islands, which would continue their opt-out service.

You would have to redesign the distribution system (i.e. spend money), I don't think that Argyll would want Radio Aberdeen (and probably not even Radio Highland (if the name revived) but if you fed them with Radio Glasgow then parts of the Highlands and Islands would be receiving it.

RDS would need reprogramming because you would not want your radio changing between Radio Glasgow and Radio Aberdeen (some already have different PIs) and you would lose out on coverage on areas between the two areas. Is Blackhill going to carry Radio Glasgow or Radio Edinburgh or do you propose getting more transmitters and frequencies?

It will take money out of the BBC Scotland budget to run these new stations so be less to spend somewhere else.

As often it is not as simple as it might seem.
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is really interesting that BBC Radio Scotland has people listening an average of 7 hours per week, and like you say across the whole heart network just under 8 hours, that shows the power of a national radio station in scotland :) I wonder how many people listen to the station south of the border?
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    If Radio Ulster can provide a split service for Derry in the form of Radio Foyle, then how about something similar for Scotland? Split Radio Scotland from breakfast to drive with Radio Glasgow with a TSA including Ayrshire and the West of Scotland, Radio Edinburgh including Fife, Lothians and the Borders and then a service from Aberdeen serving the Highlands, Tayside and the islands, which would continue their opt-out service.

Because the reasons for Radio Foyle are as much about deep cultural differences between Derry and Belfast as anything else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is really interesting that BBC Radio Scotland has people listening an average of 7 hours per week, and like you say across the whole heart network just under 8 hours, that shows the power of a national radio station in scotland :) I wonder how many people listen to the station south of the border?

I do and I also dip into Radio Wales and Radio Ulster.

Things do go wrong...

Two weeks ago(I think)BBC Tees should've been carrying a country and western programme relayed from BBC Radio Cumbria and for the first hour they had to join BBC Radio Newcastle. The fault was fixed by some BBC engineer based in Manchester or Birmingham or somewhere and I believe the presenter said it was fixed remotely using computer software.

And today a programme that should've started from BBC Tees' studios at 2pm still has not materialised. We've had music filling in the time and finally a presenter who starts her programme at 5pm saying they have a technical problem beyond their control.

I haven't quite worked out why they haven't switched studios yet apart from it being very annoying and a nuisance. But it would allow the other to be fixed.

The show that should be on air only lasts 3 hours and is on air only once a week at this rate, it will not be worth starting it.

Oh well...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starting to think that there is another reason for this delay at Tees as the presenter who should start at 5pm says she's starting at 4pm with an extended programme so I doubt the programme that should've started at 2pm will just come on for an hour.

If they are not going to air the programme why don't they just say so...
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The missing Tees programme is "Vintage Vinyl" looking at the schedule. Sounds like the kind of programme that wouldn't necessarily need to be live, could it be that it's prerecorded and there's a problem playing out the recording?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has a strong following and does requests, and responds to live texts and e-mails.

If it was recorded(and it has been when extra shows are required)why not admit that, the presenter is missing or that it's not live etc...

In the end people were contacting the station asking if the presenter was ill and eventually they confirmed he was ok.

The fact the presnter due on air at 5pm was able to play music and talk on mike makes the mix up look even more strange.
  • ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the only time Radio Scotland achieved decent listening figures was in the late 70s/early 80s when they had a more music based format with the likes of Tom Ferrie etc. They even had their own Scottish Top 40 as well!

Nowadays all they seem to want to be is a Scottish-based R4 or 5Live! And if the best presenters you can get are the likes of Tam Cowan, Stuart Cosgrove and Fred MacAuley that says it all!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW I'm not hijacking this thread just making the point that things go wrong(another thread mentioned the problems with Any Answers on Radio 4)

I think BBC Radio Scotland does manage quite a good mix of programmes but I do wonder who the music programne weekdays before the afternoon feature and drive is aimed at...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aja wrote: »
    They even had their own Scottish Top 40 as well!

The Top 40 with Brian Ford and then later on, John Collins.
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the only time Radio Scotland achieved decent listening figures was in the late 70s/early 80s when they had a more music based format with the likes of Tom Ferrie etc. They even had their own Scottish Top 40 as well!

Nowadays all they seem to want to be is a Scottish-based R4 or 5Live! And if the best presenters you can get are the likes of Tam Cowan, Stuart Cosgrove and Fred MacAuley that says it all!

Care to quote those "decent listening figures" for us please?

Are you suggesting they should switch to a pop and prattle format again? Maybe you could have got off with that back then when ILR was not available outside the central belt but not now.
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you look at the history of Radio Scotland you will see that it started as an opt out of Radio 4. Its FM transmitters are in the same frequency range that Radio 4 is on in England. In many respects it was set up with the purpose of being a Scottish version of R4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowadays all they seem to want to be is a Scottish-based R4 or 5Live!

What is wrong with a "Scottish-based Radio 4"?

Do you not think the BBC should transmit intelligent programming?

Plenty of other stations with endless rubbish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look at the history of Radio Scotland you will see that it started as an opt out of Radio 4. Its FM transmitters are in the same frequency range that Radio 4 is on in England. In many respects it was set up with the purpose of being a Scottish version of R4.

Historically the reason goes back further because it was the Scottish Home Service before Radio 4, VHF FM had Light, Third and Home.

There was talk of shuffling frequencies around so Radio 4 was in the same range of frequencies everywhere but it never happened - it did actually happen somewhere but that is another story :=)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member

If by greater listening figures you mean greater than 25% in 2008 (that's a quarter of the population listening to a primarily speech service) and when the station played music during the daytime for just two programs (one in the morning through lunch and the other in the afternoon), plus a teenage pop music programme and Top 40 at nights, then you also have to bear in mind that it was when there were fewer commercial radio stations, Radio 1 was still on medium wave only (which I can just about remember) and Radio 2 was an oldies and easy listening service, plus Radio 4 was still only available in Scotland on longwave at that time. There was much less television in those days as well.
    Forum Member
    tini cans wrote: »
    BBC Radio Scotland lost 13 per cent of its audience - equivalent to 75,000 listeners - in the past two years, and in 2009 was regularly outperformed by its London-based counterpart, BBC Radio 4.

Great work Gutless.

I can't help but rub your nose in it but since you decided to throw some statistics, here are some for you, based on today's RAJAR results:-

Radio Scotland has GAINED 36,000 listeners since September 2010 (quarter on quarter) and 67,000 listeners since December 2009 (year on year). This is despite 5 Live having scored its highest ever audiences.

Brilliant work - don't you think? More especially considering that some of our larger commercial competitors within our market have seen quite shocking losses in audience.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COMMERCIAL RADIO = ENTERTAINMENT ONLY FOR PEOPLE WITH A VERY LOW I.Q.

Very unprofessional tagline, IMHO, if you really do work for BBC Radio Scotland

Since this thread has moved on to BBC Scotland in general, I think a 'Scottish solution to a Scottish problem' would be to have BBC radio Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen on FM, with BBC Scotland on AM as a sort of 'Radio Five for Scotland'

In areas away from the central belt and Aberdeenshire, Radio Scotland would be on FM as it is now.

That would be expensive, but it's no more than people in England get.
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    Very unprofessional tagline, IMHO, if you really do work for BBC Radio Scotland

Since this thread has moved on to BBC Scotland in general, I think a 'Scottish solution to a Scottish problem' would be to have BBC radio Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen on FM, with BBC Scotland on AM as a sort of 'Radio Five for Scotland'

In areas away from the central belt and Aberdeenshire, Radio Scotland would be on FM as it is now.

That would be expensive, but it's no more than people in England get.

First of all, I don't come onto this website using a false name to be professional. I save any professionalism for my profession, within the boundaries of the BBC's property, where I use my real name and get on with my job.

Meanwhile on Digital Spy, I have to bring myself down to the level of most posters on here in order to be better understood - it's rather unfortunate, but you only have to look at the quality and tone of the posts of most people on this forum, especially those who use false names.

As for your suggestions about the BBC creating seperate local services, I have to take issue with that for a number of reasons.

First of all, you clearly do not understand the geography of Scotland and I have noticed that you have not included Dundee and Inverness in your suggestions.

Also, there are no seperate transmitters for Edinburgh and Glasgow on either FM or AM. Radio Scotland also uses a lot of smaller relay transmitters and lower powerd main transmitters (such as Darvel in Ayrshire), for which it would make sense to have to use some of them to provide a Radio Aberdeen/Glasgow/Edinburgh as well - but at one point do you stop using relays and fill-ins and instead just use the "main" service? Who is to decide where the harmony between a small isolated community and a nearby city is?

Why do we need to provide a "Scottish Radio 5," when Scotland already has Radio 5?

Radio Scotland is what it is and the latest RAJAR figures suggest that it's a success (and growing success, when the audiences for commercial radio stations around us are either staying still or falling off a cliff, with only a small number of exceptions who have seen slight rises), yet you are suggesting we stop providing what we are doing and instead provide a more local service (and perhaps music intensive service, I'm assuming) for selected areas.
  • tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't understand how BBC Radio Scotland can afford to employ presenters for an hour and then replace them with someone else. The Scotland schedule is like a cross between Radio 4 and a typical Sassanach local radio station.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Meanwhile on Digital Spy, I have to bring myself down to the level of most posters on here in order to be better understood - it's rather unfortunate, but you only have to look at the quality and tone of the posts of most people on this forum,

Oh dear oh dear. We've got a right one here :yawn: :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvstudies wrote: »
    I can't understand how BBC Radio Scotland can afford to employ presenters for an hour and then replace them with someone else. The Scotland schedule is like a cross between Radio 4 and a typical Sassanach local radio station.

Do you know that they are only employed for an hour or do you jump to that conclusion because you only hear them during a one hour period. Are they "employed" or freelancers contracted for a one hour programme?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    Oh dear oh dear. We've got a right one here :yawn: :rolleyes:

Indeed. :rolleyes: