Prisoner Cell Block H

Comments

• woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gerda Nicholson became governor in 1983 until the series end in 1986, she went on to do a few guest roles in other Australian soaps with one of her last apperances being as a love interest for Harold in Neighbours. Her time in PCBH was long over at the time of her death. It was very sad that she was taken so young and as you say many of us watching the show didnt know.

As an actress I did prefer Gerda Nicholson and Ann was a much more rounded character than Erica. Anne had boyfriends, family issues and a life outside of Wentworth where as we didnt see much of this with Erica, nor do I think Patsy King could have really pulled those kind of stories off.

Gerda Nicolson also popped up in the show before she started as Ann Reynolds. She played a bent screw at Barhurst (where Bea was briefly transferred), complete with rough accent! Here's a pic.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i remember that, Bea will be going back there soon, as im onto Ep 337 now.
  • ZaichikZaichik Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I really must get back to Prisoner (I stopped a while back on episode 220-ish) but never seem to have the time. :(
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bea should have been in it till the end, would have been great if it was her that finally got the Freak in the last episode :D
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerda Nicholson became governor in 1983 until the series end in 1986, she went on to do a few guest roles in other Australian soaps with one of her last apperances being as a love interest for Harold in Neighbours. Her time in PCBH was long over at the time of her death. It was very sad that she was taken so young and as you say many of us watching the show didnt know.

As an actress I did prefer Gerda Nicholson and Ann was a much more rounded character than Erica. Anne had boyfriends, family issues and a life outside of Wentworth where as we didnt see much of this with Erica, nor do I think Patsy King could have really pulled those kind of stories off.

Yes, I know that ITV were showing them 10 years behind their original Australian transmission, so that means she did infact become Governor around the time, or just after the time of her passing, on the ITV broadcasts.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Bea should have been in it till the end, would have been great if it was her that finally got the Freak in the last episode :D

Yeah they really messed up killing Bea off. Rita bringing down The Freak just never sat right with me as it should have been Bea who had the last laugh.

Its also a shame that Amanda Muggleton never returned as Chrissie. She was only suppose to go on a short break to do a play and was always intended to return but the plays run was extended and by the time it ended Bea, Lizzy, Maxie and Margo had either left or where about to leave so Chrissie ended up never returning.
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Chrissie Latham was a fantastic character. Even though she killed Meg's first Husband earlier in the series she was very lovable and funny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I loved Chrissie as well.

This is good for fans of The Freak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaB82c1CcbU&feature=relmfu

Gives us an insight into what she may have been like behind bars! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh boy, did that let my imagination run riot, after that drive away from the prison gates of Wentworth to a jail out west in 1986, here she is 17 years into her stint, and looking as brilliantly "Freak" as ever. :eek:

Great clip!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i used to watch this every late night in the 90's when i'd come home from the 2 till 10 shift in the factory (those were the days :rolleyes: )

I wonder what happened in the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBeeN wrote: »
    i used to watch this every late night in the 90's when i'd come home from the 2 till 10 shift in the factory (those were the days :rolleyes: )

I wonder what happened in the end.

In the end Joan Ferguson got caught in a sting, set up by the police, and another prisoner Rita Connors, and stole a bag of money hidden in a toilet in a bank, but got arrested as she tried to leave, taken to Wentworth with all the humiliation that entailed with the cons and her colleagues, was banged up and the next day sent off to another jail far away to the delight of the prisoners.
    What she got sentenced to is anyones guess, or infact if she was even found guilty I suppose!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How did Dani end up in prison?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    In the end Joan Ferguson got caught in a sting, set up by the police, and another prisoner Rita Connors, and stole a bag of money hidden in a toilet in a bank, but got arrested as she tried to leave, taken to Wentworth with all the humiliation that entailed with the cons and her colleagues, was banged up and the next day sent off to another jail far away to the delight of the prisoners.
    What she got sentenced to is anyones guess, or infact if she was even found guilty I suppose!

Oooh thanks for that. I was so hooked on that programme :o
    and i was also hooked on sunset Beach too :o:o:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBeeN wrote: »
    Oooh thanks for that. I was so hooked on that programme :o
    and i was also hooked on sunset Beach too :o:o:o

It was a breathtaking climax and well worth the wait. I can't do it justice (sorry about the pun) with those few words describing it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i think we can assume she was found guilty and would never work in prisons again after her realease as an inmate, i think that was the whole point of the storyline, that wentworth was free of the freak forever.

I like to think that once let out she went on to fight snobbish moaning customers in a restaurant and overcame a cocky Willie Beacham :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    How did Dani end up in prison?

She tried to kill Kane after he raped her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a breathtaking climax and well worth the wait. I can't do it justice (sorry about the pun) with those few words describing it.

It would have been so much better if it had been Bea instead of Rita though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were all lead to believe that Rita Connors had died of Cancer only for her to reappear alive for the climax and reveal that she had double crossed The Freak. Was she responding to treatment then or was she still dying at the end (and presumably died later?) Something I always wondered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She tried to kill Kane after he raped her.

Ah right. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    We were all lead to believe that Rita Connors had died of Cancer only for her to reappear alive for the climax and reveal that she had double crossed The Freak. Was she responding to treatment then or was she still dying at the end (and presumably died later?) Something I always wondered.

i think she was still terminally ill with cancer but i think she had used her diagnosis to team up with the police and with Reynolds to fake her own death and set up the freak, but she was definately dying from cancer, you don't get a hospital to fake cancer treatment just so you can set up a corrupt screw and it was plainly seen Rita going to hospital for treatment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I knew she was genuinely ill but though they had over-exaggerated the severity of it as part of the plan. The fact that Rita threw the chair to one side and said "I'll be the oldest biker in the world, Lurch!" lead me to believe she was in remission.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »

From the way they put the story across, the prison officers, the governor and the prisoners probably just said she'd died as she was slowly dying. She was then brought to see Ferguson again when she was getting worse likely. We then see Rita being wheeled around the garden in a wheelchair after Ferguson goes through the gates in a police car. I've yet to see this soap again after I last seen it in 2001. I have the whole of it on DVD though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just rewatching the terrorist siege episodes. There was some great instrumnetal music used in those episodes. Especially over the mugshots/when Joan goes to sound the alarm.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    From the way they put the story across, the prison officers, the governor and the prisoners probably just said she'd died as she was slowly dying. She was then brought to see Ferguson again when she was getting worse likely. We then see Rita being wheeled around the garden in a wheelchair after Ferguson goes through the gates in a police car. I've yet to see this soap again after I last seen it in 2001. I have the whole of it on DVD though.

Goodness, that's quite a buy! I may be wrong, but I believe this excellent show to be the most voluminous box-set in DVD history. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished rewatching the episode where Bea killed Nora with the zip gun. :D

I loved Nora. She was a headcase. The scene where she beat up 4 people at once was classic Prisoner!