Options

Do Americans really care about saving the planet?

Comments

• Options
    JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Just come back from the US and couldn't help noticing:-

1. Gas guzzling cars & trucks positively promoted on TV - "yes, the 5.7 litre pickup can get 12 miles to gallon". You rarely see a car that has less than 2.5 litres - even our low quality 4 seater hire car (Mondeo equivalent) was 3.5 litres and only got 18 miles to the gallon!
    2. Food portions and "all you can eat" meals, where most of the food is thrown away and wasted. At one single sitting, and American can waste enough food to feed a family of four in starving Africa.
    3. For all the sunshine they get, they make no effort to have solar panels - they continue to use fossil burning power stations. In Florida, they get an average 10 hours strong sunshine a day - enough to provide the power required to run the air conditioning, yet they don't bother!
    4. They use up so much space for their communities, they have to drive everywhere instead of walking or even getting (rare) public transport.

And the surprise is that for all the junk food they eat, the waste pipes running from their toilet bowls are only about 3 inches in diameter!

A caring nation? I don't think so.

Many of them probably do. When their government isnt invading the planet to spread its own brand of freedom and arming dangerous countries and spending a fortune on military matters and all the oil that they use it to keep the war machine running, then im in no doubt it considers the environment, but money and profits for shareholders must come first:rolleyes:

Only when the last tree has been cut down and the last river has dried up will man realize that he cant eat money as the old indian proverb go
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Why would anyone want to save the planet? What would be saving it for?
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    So, about that F150?

Incidentally, a bit of googling reveals that Brit' fuel consumption has gone up by 17% since 1990 whereas US fuel consumption has gone up by 30% in the same period.

What about the F150?

Here's the top 20 best selling cars in the USA.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/09/usa-best-selling-cars-august-2011.html

For a guy who spends much of the time on the forums talking about the vehicles he owns you're doing a really bad job of trying to lecture someone who uses public transport about environmental failings.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Corporate America does...well sort of. Green tech is seen as a major industry of the future and American firms want a piece of it. Even the big oil companies pretend they care in their ads. OK many Republicans don't but I understand that they are a minority.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    What about the F150?

Here's the top 20 best selling cars in the USA.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/09/usa-best-selling-cars-august-2011.html

I think you've managed to find a site that focuses on "cars" rather than vehicles in general and excludes pick-up trucks.

According to the data HERE, for example, there have been 361,000 F150s sold compared with 204,000 Camrys this year.

The Wall St Journal seems to agree, stating that 48,000 F-series trucks were sold in August compared with 30,000 Camrys.

Top selling cars in the UK are all, by contrast, compact and sub-compact cars.
    For a guy who spends much of the time on the forums talking about the vehicles he owns you're doing a really bad job of trying to lecture someone who uses public transport about environmental failings.

I apologise if, despite your best efforts, your country is pretty poor at the whole "eco" thing.

It's not all bad, of course. You guys ARE improving massively.
    Most of the cars in your top 20 are fairly sensible ones, aside from the continuing fixation with pick-up trucks. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you've managed to find a site that focuses on "cars" rather than vehicles in general and excludes pick-up trucks.

According to the data HERE, for example, there have been 361,000 F150s sold compared with 204,000 Camrys this year.

The Wall St Journal seems to agree, stating that 48,000 F-series trucks were sold in August compared with 30,000 Camrys.

Top selling cars in the UK are all, by contrast, compact and sub-compact cars.

I apologise if, despite your best efforts, your country is pretty poor at the whole "eco" thing.

It's not all bad, of course. You guys ARE improving massively.
    Most of the cars in your top 20 are fairly sensible ones, aside from the continuing fixation with pick-up trucks. :)

No, what i "managed to do" was use google and enter a search on 2011 best selling cars USA. That brought me to that page and i looked at the most recent data.

On the other hand what you tried to do was highlight the best selling truck in the USA which is a different type of vehicle. I knew what you were doing and so presented a like for like comparison which of course you aren't so happy about hence the snarky "you're getting better" type remarks from you. Nice try but very transparent. How many cars was it that you own again? You didn't say.

P.S. I see the best sellers in Britain are the Ford Fiesta and the Ford Focus. Thanks for buying American.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, what i "managed to do" was use google and enter a search on 2011 best selling cars USA. That brought me to that page and i looked at the most recent data.

On the other hand what you tried to do was highlight the best selling truck in the USA which is a different type of vehicle. I knew what you were doing and so presented a like for like comparison which of course you aren't so happy about hence the snarky "you're getting better" type remarks from you. Nice try but very transparent. How many cars was it that you own again? You didn't say.

You seem a tiny bit defensive.

It's apparent that there are more pick-up trucks sold than regular cars so I found statistics that includes them.

That doesn't require any kind of hidden agenda. Just a desire to obtain factual information.
    P.S. I see the best sellers in Britain are the Ford Fiesta and the Ford Focus. Thanks for buying American.

Yeah, great cars they are too.
    Made in Dagenham.

All credit to the USA and ol' Henry for starting his company though. I've certainly got nothing against american stuff. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seem a tiny bit defensive.

It's apparent that there are more pick-up trucks sold than regular cars so I found statistics that includes them.

That doesn't require any kind of hidden agenda. Just a desire to obtain factual information.

Yeah, great cars they are too.
    Made in Dagenham.

All credit to the USA and ol' Henry for starting his company though. I've certainly got nothing against american stuff. :)

Yeah yeah saw earlier in the thread any come back would be labelled defensive. The plant's in Dagenham of course. I believe there's a Honda plant in Swindon and a Nissan plant in Sunderland. Are you suggesting Honda and Nissan aren't Japanese or does that analogy only work with Ford?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah yeah saw earlier in the thread any come back would be labelled defensive.

Yeah, so, setting aside all the nonsense, what are your thoughts on the US 30% rise in fuel usage over the last 20 years compared to the UK 17% rise?

How about why the Ford F150 is (and it IS) the most popular vehicle in the USA?
    The plant's in Dagenham of course. I believe there's a Honda plant in Swindon and a Nissan plant in Sunderland. Are you suggesting Honda and Nissan aren't Japanese or does that analogy only work with Ford?

I'm not suggesting any such thing.
    You're mistaken if you think I'm some flag-waving jingoistic patriot.
    Again, all credit to Mr Toyoda and Mr Honda for starting their businesses and doing so well.

If a jap' tried to gloat about how good jap' cars are I'd certainly remind him that the jap' cars we drive ARE made here though. :)
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    The US is so big there may well be huge differences from state to state, but certainly last year when I was in Tennessee staying at a holiday place up in the Smoky Mountains there was no evidence of any environmental considerations. There were no recycling facilities there whatsoever. All the rubbish - including glass, cardboard, paper, tins - went into the same big bin with everything else. In the supermarkets no effort at all to reduce carrier bag usage - the checkout operator put everything in plastic bags dispensed from a carousel at the end of the till, often one item per bag.

Exactly my experience. ALL rubbish has to be bagged - and it all goes to the dump. No recycling available at all. We filled half a trash bin with plastic bags from the Publix supermarket - and typically their trash bins are twice the size of ours and get emptied twice a week!

Mind you, their streets are spotless - never ever saw litter. Not even outside McDonalds. If only the UK could be as conscious at keeping streets clean......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, so, setting aside all the nonsense, what are your thoughts on the US 30% rise in fuel usage over the last 20 years compared to the UK 17% rise?

How about why the Ford F150 is (and it IS) the most popular vehicle in the USA?

I'm not suggesting any such thing.
    You're mistaken if you think I'm some flag-waving jingoistic patriot.
    Again, all credit to Mr Toyoda and Mr Honda for starting their businesses and doing so well.

If a jap' tried to gloat about how good jap' cars are I'd certainly remind him that the jap' cars we drive ARE made here though. :)

My thoughts are that with population expansion outside major metropolitan areas people are buying more vehicles and as for pick up trucks a large amount of people use trucks for manual work and transporting equipment and tools like your transit vans over there. People use mini vans too. People also often live off the beaten track and so a larger vehicle is more sensible. Main roads are bigger, distances travelled longer but i'm sure you actually know all of this already.

If your last sentence was some reference to me gloating, i certainly was not but it proved that not all american cars are enormous gas guzzlers that are shunned by the European market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My thoughts are that with population expansion outside major metropolitan areas people are buying more vehicles and as for pick up trucks a large amount of people use trucks for manual work and transporting equipment and tools like your transit vans over there. People use mini vans too. People also often live off the beaten track and so a larger vehicle is more sensible. Main roads are bigger, distances travelled longer but i'm sure you actually know all of this already.

Is the USA actually getting bigger year by year?

Cos Britain has stayed the same size over the last 20 years and our fuel usage has gone up 17% whereas yours has gone up double that amount.

Funny thing is, I don't actually hold it against the USA that people like to spread themselves out and then drive around bigger distances to get where they need to go.

I just think it's a bit odd that you're the one defending the USA's eco-credentials while, at the same time, apparently trying to justify all the extra usage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See I tried to have a sensible conversation with you but you can't help yourself. Yes Si Crewe the USA is geographically growing every year. :rolleyes:

Here's the thing, I use public transport, you often post about your fleet of luxury vehicles and elsewhere today you've been advocating the UK speed limit increasing to 80mph. This will use more fuel up so therefore there is little point in discussing this with you as you're effectively saying do as I say not as I do. Can't be bothered anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See I tried to have a sensible conversation with you but you can't help yourself. Yes Si Crewe the USA is geographically growing every year. :rolleyes:

Here's the thing, I use public transport, you often post about your fleet of luxury vehicles and elsewhere today you've been advocating the UK speed limit increasing to 80mph. This will use more fuel up so therefore there is little point in discussing this with you as you're effectively saying do as I say not as I do. Can't be bothered anymore.

For a guy who's taken it upon himself to defend US eco-friendliness you seem more interested in failed attempts at personal digs (no matter how many times you say otherwise, I can only drive my cars one at a time) than actually addressing the facts of the matter.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course America = evil no matter what we do. Umm people buy trucks because they need a truck, it's really that simple. Who cares if the US is environmentally conscious or not? Are you going to come stop us?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a guy who's taken it upon himself to defend US eco-friendliness you seem more interested in failed attempts at personal digs (no matter how many times you say otherwise, I can only drive my cars one at a time) than actually addressing the facts of the matter.

No I haven't taken it upon myself to defend such things. I've pointed out the grossly hypocritical nature of someone who enjoys telling everyone about their Ducati, BMW oh and Porsche (any that I missed there?) trying to lecture others and criticise others for their eco credentials while at the same time being pro speed limit increases on another thread. As for personal digs look at your own posts....glasshouses.....
  • Options
    Jimmy the GentJimmy the Gent Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slash and burn crop farming does far, far more damage to the environment than motor vehicles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course America = evil no matter what we do. Umm people buy trucks because they need a truck, it's really that simple. Who cares if the US is environmentally conscious or not? Are you going to come stop us?

More people need a new F150 (that returns 15mpg) than any other car in the country or even, say, a Toyota Hilux?
    Come off it.

At least you're honest about the US attitude to enviro-mentalism though. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No I haven't taken it upon myself to defend such things. I've pointed out the grossly hypocritical nature of someone who enjoys telling everyone about their Ducati, BMW oh and Porsche (any that I missed there?) trying to lecture others and criticise others for their eco credentials while at the same time being pro speed limit increases on another thread. As for personal digs look at your own posts....glasshouses.....

Well, if that's the case, you still haven't adequately explained how it's hypocritical for me to comment on this specific topic regardless of my personal circumstances.

And, yes. I also have a Toyota MR2, a VW Golf and a FIAT Scudo van. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More people need a new F150 (that returns 15mpg) than any other car in the country or even, say, a Toyota Hilux?
    Come off it.

At least you're honest about the US attitude to enviro-mentalism though. :)

Do you have a problem with correct spelling?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you have a problem with correct spelling?

No.

It's a jibe at the rather unbalanced mental state of a lot of tree-huggers and lentil eaters.

Hope this clarifies things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I wasn't aware the planet was in any danger and needed saving.

It is approximately 4 and half billion years old and has a mass of approximately 5972 billion billion tonnes.

I think it'll be fine for a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

It's a jibe at the rather unbalanced mental state of a lot of tree-huggers and lentil eaters.

Hope this clarifies things.

Hmm ok. So how does your attitude toward environmentalist's jibe with your view that America is bad because we all drive trucks? Are you a "moderate" environmentalist then, or do you just think the US is bad bad bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if that's the case, you still haven't adequately explained how it's hypocritical for me to comment on this specific topic regardless of my personal circumstances.

And, yes. I also have a Toyota MR2, a VW Golf and a FIAT Scudo van. :p

I think you are likely the only one that can't see why you are a hypocrite with your having added a high horse to your fleet of vehicles. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm ok. So how does your attitude toward environmentalist's jibe with your view that America is bad because we all drive trucks? Are you a "moderate" environmentalist then, or do you just think the US is bad bad bad.

Why're you assuming I think any of that stuff is "bad"?

The only thing I consider "bad" are Brooklynboy's attempts to deny the facts of the matter and, instead, suggest it's somehow hypocritical for me to own a bunch of cars.

Which I still don't understand, given that a person can only drive one car at a time. :confused: