The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Family Fortunes continues to do well with over 5m viewers despite facing the double whammy of Midwife and Top Gear. But it would be interesting to see ASFF's breakdown to see if the the first 15 minutes rates considerably higher than the last 30.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    In fairness, Secret Service was from Endemol (co-created by Richard Hammond, apparently).
    I do get the impression it was created as they basically wanted to keep the studio bits with Richard Hammond but not bother sending people out to the Wipeout course in Argentina.
    JCR wrote: »
    Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco dropped the f bomb on CBS as well, interesting night for them. Won't somebody please think of the children? ;)
    Don't worry - I'm sure some marksmen were on standby to deal with the problem and ensure their innocent little ears would never hear such expletives again.
    Servalan wrote: »
    So why was Being Human relegated to a 10pm slot?

To avoid a clash with the BBC One/ITV drama clash? Or to try and bury it because it's unlikely there'll be another series anyway because of budget cuts at BBC Three ...?
    A bit of both I suspect. I do think they need to send some of the BBC2 drama budget back BBC3's way so they can at least run two series a year - BBC2 have thrown a lot on screen in the last year and frankly don't need it as much as BBC3.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Think Channel 4 will do well at 9pm tonight - 2/3m?
    Possibly even more - a lot of publicity today and these historic royal documentaries often of fairly C-list royals have thrown up some rating surprises in the past.
    fodg09 wrote: »
    108.4m for the Super Bowl - down on the last two years.
    Oh dear, they should probably axe it. :D
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Oh dear, they should probably axe it. :D

:D I guess CBS will be slightly disappointed that both FOX and NBC gained greater figures for the Superbowl than they did. Is CBS seen as inferior, sports wise, to the other two networks like ITV and Channel 5 are here compared to the BBC? :o

To be fair to Elementary, I don't think Big Bang Theory would have done much better in the post-show spot as it was on so late. Being a 30 minute show instead of an hour long and higher starting base would have helped but the delay hurt CBS there.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    eterry21 wrote: »
    Looking at the figures, have no idea why Channel 5 chose to change up its slot and send it off air for several months.
    All in all, Good number for the return episode (1.80m for 'Super'). As you said, this is probably down to +1 though as the actual episode only got something like 1.3m I think. Disappointing that the episode the week after (last Sunday) only got 735k (2.9%) in overnights. Hopefully, +1 helps this increase and hopefully the audience picks up next week Sunday.
    No Ripper Street next week. A stuffy awards show is on instead. That might help.

But yeah, dreadful way to end a dreadful week. I don't think we can read too much into how individual shows are doing until they get themselves out of this rut.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    No Ripper Street next week. A stuffy awards show is on instead. That might help.

But yeah, dreadful way to end a dreadful week. I don't think we can read too much into how individual shows are doing until they get themselves out of this rut.

That could help, less competition.

Yep. However, Dangerous Drivers School held up pretty well really with 1.3 million on Thursday last week as did Police Interceptors with 1.2 million on Monday and Benidorm ER with 1.2 million on Tuesday.

Channel 5 need to continue to advertise Person Of Interest I think. Notice they stop promoting a show a lot when it goes to air.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just confirmed on BBC One that Mrs. Brown's Boys will return at Christmas.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Last year's BAFTA film awards had an overnight figure of 5.32m which is higher than last night's Ripper Street. I would also assume the awards rated higher in its first hour than its second, in which case its ratings in the 9pm hour would be even greater than Ripper's were last night.
    Forum Member

Yep. However, Dangerous Drivers School held up pretty well really with 1.3 million on Thursday last week as did Police Interceptors with 1.2 million on Monday and Benidorm ER with 1.2 million on Tuesday.

Channel 5 need to continue to advertise Person Of Interest I think. Notice they stop promoting a show a lot when it goes to air.
    Only Police Interceptors and Drivers School were in line with past performances though. The vast majority of programmes have been down. Benidorm ER and Ice Road Truckers were still at a respectable level but lost a lot of viewers week-on-week.

I agree that episode specific trails every week would be lovely but I understand the need to shift attention to new arrivals as if they have too many promos in rotation at any one time nothing is sufficiently trailed and they don't really achieve anything. Standard practice is to promo episodes 1+2 of a new series then switch to those short generic ones they do.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Be interesting to see how bbc one now schedule the voice and doctor who against much harder competition in the shape of bgt. I hope doctor who comes back bigger and stronger this season as the christmas show rated fairly well. But hope its not sacrificed to bgt and voice battle scheduling they would have been better to delay series 7b til autumn if its thrown away early evening.
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Last year's BAFTA film awards had an overnight figure of 5.32m which is higher than last night's Ripper Street. I would also assume the awards rated higher in its first hour than its second, in which case its ratings in the 9pm hour would be even greater than Ripper's were last night.
    Not just about size of audience. One rival drama has been knocked out of the equation.

The makeup of the BAFTAs audience is unlikely to be that similar to that of Ripper Street. I'd be amazed if it was.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Looking into whether BGT should air the semi-finals over a normal week again, out of interest - In the past 2-3 years, have any of the soaps hit 10m in the summer?

In 2011, Corrie averaged 10.42m and 10.19m on 30/5 and 31/5 during BGT week.
    31/5 2010 part had 10.5m as well. **week was cut short because of shootings.
    Yet last year it's best rating was 8.7m.

January overnight averages for the Big Three:
    Corrie: 9.16m
    up 30k y-o-y

EastEnders: 8.27m
    down 690k y-o-y

Emmerdale: 7.23m
    down 330k y-o-y
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Those percentages are all wrong. You are talking share points there, not percentages.

And C4 is doing just fine so far this year, utter nonsense to suggest otherwise.

+1 utterly amazing that he doesn't know the difference between share points and percentages.
    No wonder he doesn't have a clue about demographics.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how bbc one now schedule the voice and doctor who against much harder competition in the shape of bgt. I hope doctor who comes back bigger and stronger this season as the christmas show rated fairly well. But hope its not sacrificed to bgt and voice battle scheduling they would have been better to delay series 7b til autumn if its thrown away early evening.
    There is the argument that should The Voice land at around 7pm that just like Merlin an 8.15pm slot against BGT might be better for Doctor Who than a 6.15pm slot.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    There is the argument that should The Voice land at around 7pm that just like Merlin an 8.15pm slot against BGT might be better for Doctor Who than a 6.15pm slot.

Yeah the x factor never really affected merlin but then it was never given the chance to flourish outside the autumn slot. Another show that could have been pushed over to this january when the schedule was so bloated last autumn I would have enjoyed a final series merlin at 7 pm battle against itv rubbish. Id rather they maybe launched doctor who this coming august and ran it through september and give it a decent slot. It shouldn't just be a prelude the voice which is very bulky at 90 mins. Or actually sundays at 7pm where it gets a fixed time after countryfile and keep it away from the voice completely or bgt
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    +1 utterly amazing that he doesn't know the difference between share points and percentages.
    No wonder he doesn't have a clue about demographics.

Hi jake. He has a name you know! I'm well aware of the difference. If you read my reply to Dancc, you will have understood the point I was making;
    There not wrong. I didn't say percentage gain/lost. I posted the share points gained/lost instead of percentages, so shoot me! There available via this link...;

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly...g-summary?_s=4.

...if you want the percentage difference, then do it yourself.

C4 is down this year. 16-34 is up, as is ABC1 Adults (would be appreciated if someone could post the full month's figures), but the overall audience is down. The 4.9% is reflective of that. Fact.

C5 surprisingly down despite the success of CBB. Then again, it's been down since Desmond took over.

ITV down, despite Lewis, Splash, Corrie. DOI and the Tuesday Flopzone affecting it.

BBC1 up. Evidently because of Africa, Miranda, Mrs Brown Boys, Silent Witness.

BBC2 down, amazingly with the Bake Off, Top Gear and University Challenge all doing so well.
    It's pretty obvious you haven't read this post, and you probably won't. You can keep throwing your insults, but I couldn't care less. Your quite a nasty, spiteful person. I know what I'm talking about, and that does include demographics!
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given that not even the Superbowl can dent Downton Abbey

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/tv-ratings-downton-abbey-scores-super-bowl-xlvii-pbs-masterpiece-classic/

I cant help but wonder how ITV got so lucky with it?
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    dullagj2 wrote: »

up 30k y-o-y

down 690k y-o-y

down 330k y-o-y

Don't suppose you know Hollyoaks yoy?

That soap could have a rather good 2013, a big February coming up with Mitzeee, Cheryl and Brendens departures and the upcoming arrival of Gillian Tyalforth and return of Clare Devine
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dullagj2 wrote: »

up 30k y-o-y

down 690k y-o-y

down 330k y-o-y

So...

Corrie - flat
    Eastenders - down 8%
    Emmerdale - down 4%
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think I saw this mentioned earlier on in the day, but the consolidated rating for the first ep of Top Gear was a stonking 6.66m incl HD simulcast.

Pretty impressive, the year off seems to have whetted appetites. And particularly when BBC1 was getting a stupendous 10.24m at the same time.

A combined BBC1/BBC2 consolidated audience of 16.90m in the 8pm hour - and it's not as ITV is in complete collapse in the same slot either.

The BBC HD only figure for TG was 1.18m too - and that's pretty impressive, if not indeed a new record.

And for those who like to aggregate, a whopping 14.35m for Mrs Brown's Boys - the +5 (days) showing getting 26th spot in the BBC1 top 30. Very rare for a same week repeat of a show to also feature in the chart.

Ironically, with no Saturday repeat of this week's MBB it would have been interesting to see if there was an uplift in the Monday MBB figures tonight. But of course, the Saturday MBB fans won't know it isn't on this Saturday until they tune in around 9.40 on Saturday and realise it's not on. :rolleyes:
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While it's obviously not great that DOI is hitting lows, I think ITV need to cling onto it. When you consider the ratings on BBC1/BBC2, it's not hard to imagine that a line-up without DOI as an anchor could be plumbing some serious lows. Doubt All Star Family Fortunes would hold up so well on its own either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    While it's obviously not great that DOI is hitting lows, I think ITV need to cling onto it. When you consider the ratings on BBC1/BBC2, it's not hard to imagine that a line-up without DOI as an anchor could be plumbing some serious lows. Doubt All Star Family Fortunes would hold up so well on its own either.

That's the problem ITV has and it's exactly the same with The X Factor - yes, they're both dramatically down on their highs but what's going to do better, in Dancing on Ice's case against the tough competition it has?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scheduling change on 14th February: Emmerdale's two episodes are being combined into an hour long episode in order for the channel to air Tottenham v Lyon from 8pm. I sense we'll be seeing a few more of these games on ITV so expect more soap clashes in the future.

In the same week ITV will be airing Celtic v Juventus on the Tuesday plus have FA Cup matches across Saturday and Sunday.

Sky Sports will be so jealous. :D
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    That's the problem ITV has and it's exactly the same with The X Factor - yes, they're both dramatically down on their highs but what's going to do better, in Dancing on Ice's case against the tough competition it has?

It's "Splash"!!!

"Splash" is the future.......
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Scheduling change on 14th February: Emmerdale's two episodes are being combined into an hour long episode in order for the channel to air Tottenham v Lyon from 8pm. I sense we'll be seeing a few more of these games on ITV so expect more soap clashes in the future.

In the same week ITV will be airing Celtic v Juventus on the Tuesday plus have FA Cup matches across Saturday and Sunday.

Sky Sports will be so jealous. :D

Tottenham v Lyon? That'll appeal to the ITV heartland.
  • Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC HD only figure for TG was 1.18m too - and that's pretty impressive, if not indeed a new record.
    It is the highest ever (non sporting) consolidated figure for the channel. (Highest ever reported rating for BBC HD is 1.64m for England v Germany 2010 WC)
This discussion has been closed.