Bluestone 42 - 5 March - BBC3 - 2200 - 8 weeks

Comments

• StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Seen this program while on the net and waiting for the next program.
    Its the comedy equivalent of a test card.
    A Funny Test Card.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Thought last night's had a better plot than ep2 but it really wasn't that funny.

I think it needs to be either more slapstick or more intelligent. At the moment it isn't really either.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that it could have taken some ideas from Scrubs.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Just caught this on iplayer.

Given up after episode 2 - very boring.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it! But it helps that I was in the army in my teenage years for almost three years. But you don't need to be in the army to understand the gags. It's not purile like Lee Nelson rubbish. It's not trying to be intellectual comedy either. It wasn't disrespectful towards the 'enemies' nor trying to play down the seriousness of war at times. I think it's great!
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it hilarious!

Also when the interpreter was saying his nephew was a taxi driver in Hamilton we loved as the taxi driver we had the other night could've been his nephew lol.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    I love it! But it helps that I was in the army in my teenage years for almost three years. But you don't need to be in the army to understand the gags. It's not purile like Lee Nelson rubbish. It's not trying to be intellectual comedy either. It wasn't disrespectful towards the 'enemies' nor trying to play down the seriousness of war at times. I think it's great!

I agree about it not being disrespectful. It's no different to Green Wing being set in a hospital for example. But I just don't find it very original or interesting or funny. The only story in it is the padre love affair.

I want to like it as I think Oliver Chris is a great comedy actor, so I'll watch one more episode but only if I have time.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liking this. Being BBC3 I go in with low expectations so perhaps that explains why!
  • charliehascharliehas Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    It certainly gets my vote too. Original and funny.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having Kelly Adams on the prog makes watching it an essential for me! :):):):)
  • EmmabellEmmabell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I caught a bit of this last night and I really thought it was a new series of 'Gary, Tank Commander'.....
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

I spent a short time as a STAB and this does nail squaddie humour quite well, which is both its strength and its weakness. The writers have avoided too much Army slang, which would make the dialogue impenetrable to the average listener, yet kept the essential darkness and gallows element plus the crudeness - 'off you f*ck' - excellent!

The setting seems to be carefully chosen for dramatic effect but is actually a very good one. Being an Ammo Tech (the Captain) is one of the most dangerous jobs in the British Army so when he tells the padre that it is only a matter of time until he gets killed, he's not lying.

The script's good but the quality of the cast is patchy. Oliver Chris and Tony Gardner are brilliant as the officers but Stephen Wight overacts just as badly as he did in Threesome. The Jock 2-hander act is badly done as well - real porridge wogs are much drier and funnier - but Kelly Adams strikes just the right balance as the padre.

Overall, it's a competent comedy - not great but good and a solid addition to BBC3's comedy armoury.
    Forum Member
    I thought last weeks episode was an improvement. More going on to keep you interested.

Just an obvservation but in a couple of the intro pieces Nick has sounded a little bit like a certain Second technician Rimmer to me.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bump bump - on air
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed that every ep, they tried to make it light-hearted, but there's always an incident that's not so nice. Totto is the case in point this week.
  • Soul SiestaSoul Siesta Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Kelly Adams is great, she was excellent in Hustle too. This is a good, entertaining comedy in my opinion.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I noticed that every ep, they tried to make it light-hearted, but there's always an incident that's not so nice. Totto is the case in point this week.

Yes, this is developing nicely. The Jock double act is growing on me a bit and the actress playing Cpl Bird has been really good for the past couple of episodes. Oliver Chris and Tony Gardner also continue to impress.

I see that there was a cheeky mention of Freckles as one of Mac and Rocket's games. This is a reference to a particularly horrible genuine squaddy game and shows that the writers have been paying attention.:D

Surely that closing scene was an homage to the 'liquorice allsort' offered to Captain Darling in Blackadder Goes Forth?
    Forum Member
    Another good episode.

A bit more indepth on Nick.

I do like the way the CO is protrayed. In many shows they are usually a pompous dick but in this he seems like one of the gang.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bumping - on air.
  • Evs814Evs814 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Best episode so far. Reminded me of some MASH episodes, concentrating on the characters under fire, rather than the situation. And quite poignant at the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evs814 wrote: »
    Best episode so far. Reminded me of some MASH episodes, concentrating on the characters under fire, rather than the situation. And quite poignant at the end.

I completely agree. Sometimes extreme and riduculously precarious situations like a warzone brings out the best in people. Beautifully scripted episode without any sentimental b*llsh*t.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    last night was the best of the bad lot.
    Forum Member
    Not sure it was the best so far for me but it was different which is good. Reminded me of Red Dwarf Marooned in some ways.

I think the LC is a really good character. Also good that they haven't used him too much but just when neccessary.
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think the LC is a really good character. Also good that they haven't used him too much but just when neccessary.

A very accurate reflection of the real ones.... I was very touched by his use of completely the opposite opinion to his true one to motivate the Captain.
    Forum Member
    That's what suprised me as in many comedies the autority figure is usually portayed as a pompous oaf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30 mins till final ep. Series 2 has apparently been greenlit..