Options

Papal canonisation

CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
Forum Member
Direct from the Vatican. 2 Popes becoming saints. Could be entertaining. BBC/Sky News.

Comments

• Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP sums it up in a nutshell : '.....should be entertaining'.........I'm almost certain that it isn't meant to be.

Making people saints has no place in the modern world....it is impossible to relate to PROPERLY and if it is to have any significance who has the right to make that kind of decision anyway?

Even if you're not religious out of respect to people who are historically recognised as saints the whole thing reduced to the level of a Sky news special is insulting and or embarrassing and just the latest way in which most things get dumbed down and devalued to current X factor/Daily Mail/Selfie type values.

For me,there are no such thing as saints but believe or disbelieve it is a concept that should be left to history where it belongs.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather strangely also shown on Sky Arts 2...
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course there are such things as Saints. It's a given title like "Doctor" or "Professor" or "CEO". Many are historically documented individuals. Now the belief that Saints performed miracles is an entirely different thing altogether but you can't disblieve the existance of the Saints themselves.

As to who has the right to decide who becomes a Saint, well they are Saints of the Catholic Church so at the end of the day the Catholic Church gets to decide which ultimately is the Pope.

It's like deciding the new manager of Manchester United, everyone can have an opinion if they like but the final say is down to the owners of the club. The Pope is the "owner" of the Church so he gets the final word (of God :D ).

If you are not a member of the Catholic Church, as I'm not, then it really has no impact on you at all so who cares (a bit like the appointment of Manchester United manager if you don't follow football)? New Saints don't get to draw a benefit from our taxes, you don't have to sacrifice your new born to them, they don't get to jump the queue at Alton Towers so frankly it has no discernible impact on your life. About the worst would be you move into a new house in a road that been named after them. :)

PS - Little factoid for you...when someone made an application to have their local do gooder made into a Saint a church council had to make the decision. Someone had to be appointed to argue against it, giving example of how the miracles could of been misinterpreted natural phenomenon. Because this person was arguing against the existence of miracles they were known as "the Devil's Advocate".
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally underwhelmed by the whole charade.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Well I, for one, was on the edge of my seat.
    Who'd have thought we'd be so honoured as to see the Pope-we've-never-heard-of *and* the Pope-who-allowed-kiddy-fiddling-to-go-on, becoming saints on the same day.

A particularly tasteful aspect of proceedings was this description of what happened:
    Relics of each man - a container of blood from John Paul and a piece of skin from John - were placed near the altar.
    Lovely.