Elderly traffic signs are insulting and derogatory?

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2836533/Ban-elderly-traffic-warning-sign-leads-discrimination-against-50s-says-government-tsar.html

I did a search for this but couldnt find any threads on it.

I read about it the other day but heard a debate on the Jeremy Vine show today too.

I had personally always regarded the signs to indicate that there may be people nearby or in sheltered/care homes who had limited mobility, rather than being elderly per se.

Comments

• Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I find it always looks like the woman figure is giving the man a prostate examination.

The 'roadworks' sign looks like a man opening a large parasol.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2836533/Ban-elderly-traffic-warning-sign-leads-discrimination-against-50s-says-government-tsar.html

I did a search for this but couldnt find any threads on it.

I read about it the other day but heard a debate on the Jeremy Vine show today too.

I had personally always regarded the signs to indicate that there may be people nearby or in sheltered/care homes who had limited mobility, rather than being elderly per se.
    That's what I thought too.

But the government's tsar for the elderly says the road sign should be banned because they convey a message that older people are 'frail and disabled' and discourage employers from hiring someone over 50.

Since when has 50 been 'elderly'?
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »

But they're nearly always captioned 'Elderly' underneath.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have only ever seen them near elderly homes, sheltered housing etc . I think they serve a purpose as they can remind people that there are elderly people in that area who maybe cannot get across the road so quickly and seeing them may make them slow down or have a bit of patience

The sign itself to me does not mean everyone over 50 at all the picture clearly shows elderly as opposed to middle aged and as an employer I do not get where she thinks a road sign would put an employer off hiring someone older but to be honest how many people of the age that is really clearly depicted on the sign stooped over with a stick are out looking for a job.

I do not see how the signs are any different to ones that show kids are crossing or animals , Dr Altmann needs to learn the difference between older and elderly.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    But stupid really as the only ones I have ever seen are near care homes ect where often the residence are frail and slow moving.

If she gets her way though and they are taken down all it will take is for one OAP to get knocked down where the sign used to be and she/the government could be facing a lot of problems.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    But they're nearly always captioned 'Elderly' underneath.

They havent been for 10 years!

There are some near care homes for people with learning needs near where we are.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I have only ever seen them near elderly homes, sheltered housing etc . I think they serve a purpose as they can remind people that there are elderly people in that area who maybe cannot get across the road so quickly and seeing them may make them slow down or have a bit of patience

The sign itself to me does not mean everyone over 50 at all the picture clearly shows elderly as opposed to middle aged and as an employer I do not get where she thinks a road sign would put an employer off hiring someone older but to be honest how many people of the age that is really clearly depicted on the sign stooped over with a stick are out looking for a job.

I do not see how the signs are any different to ones that show kids are crossing or animals , Dr Altmann needs to learn the difference between older and elderly.

Thats a really good point about the children and animals,some woman on the radio phone in was really angry about them and felt no other group was depicted in this way. Just as I was listening to this, I was driving past a school with some rather skittish looking children on a sign, looking like they are running (into the road). But of course not all children are unaware of roads, or would run into them, but we accept that their age makes them more likely to have poor awareness, impulse control, poor concentration (or short term concentration), too busy gaggling with their mates. So yes, for general signs, we do have to make assumptions about how groups act.
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much this one would rustle her jimmies.

K01zvi0.png
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how in the sodding hell is is "discriminatory"?????
    it's a sign warning drivers

more god damn stupidity from morons
    why not just put her picture up instead ..... drive away wild life that face would do!
    >:(
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nonono
    the REAL REASON is that EVERYONE WHO IS STILL ALIVE must work or else they'll be run over

stupid bitch
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, yes, employers are so susceptible to stereotyping, not to say being downright stupid, that when they see one of these signs they immediately sack every worker over 50!

I'd say it is much more likely that this so-called "business champion for older workers" is so short of realistic proposals that she's reduced to idiocies like this. Not employing her would be a much better idea.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    What a stupid woman, if she's trying to justify her job with that nonsense then she should get the boot.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say they were discriminatory but I do think they're very old fashioned stereotypes and pretty grim. A revamp certainly wouldn't hurt at this point in time.
  • TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the government's tsar for the elderly says the road sign should be banned because they convey a message that older people are 'frail and disabled' and discourage employers from hiring someone over 50.

What planet is this woman living on? Does she seriously think that there are employers up and down the country who have looked at these roads signs and though, "ah, clearly everybody over 50 must be frail and disabled. I won't be hiring them anymore". "Hmm this applicant, looks perfectly able bodied and healthy in my eyes and has all the right qualifications too. But oh dear, he says he is 51, he must surely be frail and disabled like the sign said so. I can't hire him."
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    nonono
    the REAL REASON is that EVERYONE WHO IS STILL ALIVE must work or else they'll be run over

stupid bitch

Why are you so angry towards the person who proposed this, to the point of calling them a 'bitch'?

I mean seriously, if this sort of thing winds you up this much you should probably go into a darkened room and just stay there, or your tiny head might explode.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Most people are able to use their judgement to determine that some elderly people require a longer than average time to cross the road and wait patiently, sadly there are also a small minority of idiots with short tempers who need signs to tell them things like this .

I wonder if the person suggesting they be removed is an elderly person with mobility issues? They are the people this question should really be posed to. Far too often issues about the elderly are only debated by the young.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Where the hell are the signs for everyone else warning us about elderly people using mobility scooters? They don't care if your a man, woman or child. Get out of the way or you will be run over.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Where the hell are the signs for everyone else warning us about elderly people using mobility scooters? They don't care if your a man, woman or child. Get out of the way or you will be run over.

Powered wheelchairs and scooters MUST NOT travel faster than 4 mph (6 km/h) on pavements or in pedestrian areas. You may need to reduce your speed to adjust to other pavement users who may not be able to move out of your way quickly enough or where the pavement is too narrow.
    Law UICHR 1988 reg 4

8 mph on the pavement is more the norm round these parts. I've actually seen a very elderly flat capped OAP accidentally perform the skiing stunt (where the mobility scooter is driven while balanced only on two wheels), round a high street pavement corner.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    how in the sodding hell is is "discriminatory"?????
    it's a sign warning drivers

more god damn stupidity from morons
    why not just put her picture up instead ..... drive away wild life that face would do!
    >:(
    Your second point kind of negates your first point.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmhmm..... people in power looking for something to be offended about to get some column inches. That's not a new concept, is it.

Okay then, how about we replace it with something more up-to-date? Here's a couple of suggestions....

texting

wide load
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I live near a remedial school. There is a sign that says, slow... children. That can't be good for their self esteem. But look of course on the positive side, they can't read it.