POF is pissing me off

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
I have sent countless messages in recent months and not received a single reply.

The problem is not my profile either since most have read the message but not my profile so it has to be either my picture or my message.

My picture is fairly simple: me wearing a decent shirt, jacket an jeans standing smiling and looking quite good I must say.

My messages are always clean and respectful, I always make it clear that I have read her profile by talking about things we have in common. I always tell her a little bit about myself and ask her questions about her.

I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong.

Comments

• Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Not only are there POF, there are also plenty of other sites you can try. POF are (apparently, never used it myself) notoriously shite from some of the posts i have read about them here. :cool:
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not only are there POF, there are also plenty of other sites you can try. POF are (apparently, never used it myself) notoriously shite from some of the posts i have read about them here. :cool:

I've tried Match and had much the same experience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    oh i thought were were talking about post office :D
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Why don't we use this site? I'm looking for a nice scottish woman who likes casual sex and no commitments. Preference is brunette , between 5 feet and 5 foot 8.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    oh i thought were were talking about post office :D

from the title i wondered if it was Piece of Fish....i opened the thread to find out what it stood for....still no wiser...
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not on dating sites but I imagine a long detailed message might seem a bit keen for my liking. Try sending hi, how are you, nice pic. See if that works?
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong.

I signed up to PoF last year and got around 95 messages in the first day.

I'm nothing special so I imagine most girls get the same when they join. It just gets tiring looking through them all and you end up overlooking messages which are probably really genuine.
    planets wrote: »
    from the title i wondered if it was Piece of Fish....i opened the thread to find out what it stood for....still no wiser...

Plenty of Fish :) dating site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Not on dating sites but I imagine a long detailed message might seem a bit keen for my liking. Try sending hi, how are you, nice pic. See if that works?

I can't see how that would work. Surely women get loads of messages like that each day so the name of the game is to try and stand out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see how that would work. Surely women get loads of messages like that each day so the name of the game is to try and stand out.

You stand out already using your pic. Seriously give it a go. For the sake of my curiosity if nothing else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I signed up to PoF last year and got around 95 messages in the first day.

I'm nothing special so I imagine most girls get the same when they join. It just gets tiring looking through them all and you end up overlooking messages which are probably really genuine.

Plenty of Fish :) dating site.

It's frustrating as hell when you put a bit of effort into your profile and taking a decent picture (rather than just a selfie in front of the mirror) and get nowhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You stand out already using your pic. Seriously give it a go. For the sake of my curiosity if nothing else.

Yeah but if you send the same message as dozens of others, how would that get you noticed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any tips on what makes a decent pic?

If you're good looking to the person looking at it, that will be all you need.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually it's the picture. Be honest: are you good looking - or even just ok looking?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Use lines like "Is that a ladder in your stockings or is it a stairway to heaven?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Usually it's the picture. Be honest: are you good looking - or even just ok looking?

I am probably just OK looking. It's not like I am messaging people who are considered really beautiful though (even if they are attractive to me). I tend to message people based on the content of their profile rather than their picture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Use lines like "Is that a ladder in your stockings or is it a stairway to heaven?"

I'm allergic to cliches :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's frustrating as hell when you put a bit of effort into your profile and taking a decent picture (rather than just a selfie in front of the mirror) and get nowhere.

I understand that.

The problem is with dating sites is it makes things all about looks when they really shouldn't be. In real life when I meet guys I rarely take notice of looks to begin with and only realise I'm attracted to them when I've had a conversation. Online you can't do this so I'm sure we all have brushed off plenty of people who actually we'd be a good match with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah but if you send the same message as dozens of others, how would that get you noticed?

You don't have to stand out right away.

When I was free and single, I'd have a few guys texting me. If I woke up the morning after a night out and got 3 texts, one with a long diatribe about we've got loads in common etc, and 2 saying had a good night thanks, I'd immediately dismiss the long one but reply to the other two.

You build a rapport over the course of a chat back and forth. That makes it fun and flirty rather than intense and requiring effort.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    hazydayz wrote: »
    Why don't we use this site? I'm looking for a nice scottish woman who likes casual sex and no commitments. Preference is brunette , between 5 feet and 5 foot 8.

If you don't get any offers, 5ft 7" 20 stone trucker called Barry, hailing from Barnsley here.
    Forum Member
    You don't have to stand out right away.

When I was free and single, I'd have a few guys texting me. If I woke up the morning after a night out and got 3 texts, one with a long diatribe about we've got loads in common etc, and 2 saying had a good night thanks, I'd immediately dismiss the long one but reply to the other two.

You build a rapport over the course of a chat back and forth. That makes it fun and flirty rather than intense and requiring effort.

So you're into 4sums?
    Forum Member
    If you don't get any offers, 5ft 7" 20 stone trucker called Barry, hailing from Barnsley here.

Are you a good cook? Do you know how to make me feel special in bed?
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the picture is of your whole outfit they may not be able to see your face in detail. Take a selfie with just your face in. Make it clear in your message that you are not fat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    So you're into 4sums?

No but I have given out my number to more than one fellow of an evening :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree actually.

The one's I replied to were short and to the point, usually saying things like "Hi Bex, I like this band too! Have you seen them live?" Or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The FBI wrote: »
    If the picture is of your whole outfit they may not be able to see your face in detail. Take a selfie with just your face in. Make it clear in your message that you are not fat.

I hate selfies. They are a good way to make me ignore a profile (especially the duck pout ones) so I would not go down that road myself.