AnitVirus Trojan

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry if there's a thread alreay on here....I'm online with no antivirus or firewall - just d/loaded some again

Got a virus/trojan today it was some sort of XP alert with a control centre like popup, telling me all sorts of stuff. Ran SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition and it found it, so I removed it.

Now all my antispyware programmes have gone (as it appears have all my other programmes) and none of my programmes (like word) will open. I get the box asking me what programme I'd like to open it with.

I cannot get into my control box safety center. I get the message C\:WINDOWS\system\rundl32.exe

any help or advice would be apprecited :confused:

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    bump.
    Forum Member
    are you on windows XP?

a system restore would probably be easiest. if that works....

go to start - accessories - system tools - system restore

select that, and then chose the option, restore my computer to an earlier time.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    If System Restore doesn't help, you can try the usual recommendations for running Malwarebytes, ComboFix and HijackThis. I wouldn't hold out much hope though.

Best option is probably to backup your files and restore to factory settings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't do a system restore for some reason ?

At first couldn't open any programmes.....then each time I was promted with a page asking me what name I wanted to run the programme as....owner or amdin etc

Managed to open my spyware programmes so ran them all virus checker.

My avast virus checker found nothing, but malwarebytes....after five hours....found nine items, including a key logger and a couple of trojans.

Started my pc again now and all my programmes opened up.

After logging off this time I'll do another quick scan with malwarebytes as I've now managed to update it. Fingers crossed !!
    Forum Member
    After the Malwarebytes quick scan, remove Avast and install Avira. Update it fully, then run a scan. After that, run a full Malwarebytes scan. Post a HijackThis log here as well for someone to look at.

Personally though, if my machine got in that state, there's no way I would I would carry on using it when there's still a good chance that the security, stability and performance have all been compromised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a full scan with Malwarebytes that's why I think it took the best part of 5 hours ? After managing to update it I was just going to do a quick scan.

Last time I had a virus I was advised to remove Avira and install Avast.

Apart from my net connection being a little slow (nothing new) it seems back to normal ? I will do another mylwarebytes quick scan and post the hijack log.

Thanks for the advice !
    Forum Member
    cuk wrote: »
    Last time I had a virus I was advised to remove Avira and install Avast.

:D That's always the way. Someone will always recommend a different AV. But as Avast didn't detect the current malware, it makes sense to install a different one and run a scan.

I also meant to mention that you should run CCleaner. This will clear out old junk files and can substantially speed up malware/AV scan times. You'll need to run it for each user account.

Five hours for a full Malwabytes scan is extreme. XP normally doesn't take much more than an hour and Vista can take up to a couple of hours.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cuk wrote: »
    none of my programmes (like word) will open. I get the box asking me what programme I'd like to open it with.

That's a known issue with some removal tools, they can't clean rundll32.exe so they delete it.

You need to get a clean fresh copy of the file from the Windows media and put it in the system32 folder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice ! Much appreciated !

I also installed something called Secunia. It did a scan and gave me a low rating, so updating the programmes it highlighted.

I assume that I can't have Avira and Avast on my pc at the same time ? I do have CCleaner installed and ran it yesterday

All programmes are running again ok today, will do another scan with malwarebytes. Think it took so long due to all the files/videos/pictures etc I have on my pc ?
    Forum Member
    you should not have avast and avira no.

CCleaner is not a security product, nor is it for fault fixing, it's just for housekeeping.

you need to pick one av that runs all the time, then back it up with things like super anti spyware and malwarebytes.

personally i run sas and MB on alternate weeks, be sure to update them before scanning.

MB will find most things on a quick scan, takes a couple of minutes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    with your av program you can run threatfire which will enforce your av program alongside your firewall .to remove the problem you have use superantispyware,update then rull full scan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ran full scans again with superantispyware and malwarebytes (both updated first) and apart from a few tracking cookies found by superantispyware, nothing else was found :) I'll give that threatfire a try too.

Thanks again !