LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 27)

Comments

• Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting hour on the abortion topic. J O'B at his reasonable best.

I agree - that's where I think the mornings function well, with the 'short sharp shock' of the NF tabloid style approach, then JOB picking the stories apart. When it does work well, it introduces a good degree of balance.
  • RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JHB talking about the boring olympics get over it it's finished already, sick to death hearing about the damn olympics.I couldn't give a stuff if some athlete came from a council estate or whatever she's (JHB) on about who cares.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    What's that got to do with the fact that she clearly came on air with the intention of steam-rollering through her pre-prepared statement on the matter without dealing with pertinent questions?

A general question only, as I didn't hear this particular incident, but is there a problem with having pre-prepared statements? Unless one is a practised politician, I would think that prepping what one wanted to say wouldn't be a bad idea. On complex issues, there is a lot to get across, and I think presenters too often butt in before someone's really had a chance to lay out their whole stall.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    A general question only, as I didn't hear this particular incident, but is there a problem with having pre-prepared statements? Unless one is a practised politician, I would think that prepping what one wanted to say wouldn't be a bad idea. On complex issues, there is a lot to get across, and I think presenters too often butt in before someone's really had a chance to lay out their whole stall.

I would suggest notes rather than a statement. Particularly if the statement doesn't deal with the question that is asked, then you could phrase your answer so that you can include the points you want to get across, but answering the question at the same time.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest notes rather than a statement. Particularly if the statement doesn't deal with the question that is asked, then you could phrase your answer so that you can include the points you want to get across, but answering the question at the same time.

Perhaps she'd heard Ferrari's intervention tactics and was determined to plough on regardless.
    Forum Member

Good points, but it doesn't quite work for a 'top of the hour' expert, introducing a topic, as there isn't always a question as such to answer. I reckon it's fair enough for a short statement in that scenario, with questions to follow.

Quite often I've heard the presenter interrupt only to ask something that the expert was just about to come on to anyway, or worse, had just said, and the presenter clearly hadn't been listening.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps she'd heard Ferrari's intervention tactics and was determined to plough on regardless.

Quite possibly.

I know I've said it before, but I used to like Nick Ferrari until his tactics overtook his presenting skills, and the man became more important than the stories he was presenting. Essentially, a bit like James Whale, he's become a parody of himself and crossed the line from funny into just plain rude and annoying, IMO. At the end of the day, he's there to give us a chance to listen to an expert, challenge their views, but not belittle them.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting hour on the abortion topic. J O'B at his reasonable best.

I heard Iain Dale's programme and was sickened to my stomach by the man who called in and admitted wanting boys was an Asian cultural thing before saying that he had wanted a boy and had a girl. As far as he was concerned he loved the girl, but women should have the right to chose. Well done to Iain for saying he hoped his daughter wasn't listening.
    These so called doctors must be struck off and prosecuted.
  • dachsie10dachsie10 Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite possibly.

I know I've said it before, but I used to like Nick Ferrari until his tactics overtook his presenting skills, and the man became more important than the stories he was presenting. Essentially, a bit like James Whale, he's become a parody of himself and crossed the line from funny into just plain rude and annoying, IMO. At the end of the day, he's there to give us a chance to listen to an expert, challenge their views, but not belittle them.

He simply won't put up with people evading the issues and reading out their mantra rather like a cold-calling double glazing salesman. He's there to find out - for us the listeners - the salient points....and he does it very well, too! (In my opinion, of course!) I also do not think he's the slightest bit rude - although he doesn't pussy-foot around and he doesn't suffer fools gladly.........and neither should he! He's there to elicit information from people who are often very reluctant to give the facts and are economical with the truth to boot! For me, he does a damned fine job........unlike the objectionable Chiswick dweller who follows him. The 'OFF' button comes firmly into play at that point and stays that way for the next three hours!
  • RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloc banging on about education.The same old topics day in day out.Kinda like a shopping channel ideal world same old products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas preparations well under way at Allen Towers by the sound of it! :D

He was sent a box of doughnuts this morning. Somebody trying to finish him off? :eek:

Morning all. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurrah! We've got the all time Foamar stats back. Lot of old, much missed names there. :cry:

http://files.myopera.com/FOAMAR/STATS/lbc/
    Forum Member
    Christmas preparations well under way at Allen Towers by the sound of it! :D

Yesterday I saw some 'Christmas at Sainsburys' mince pies out on show, while at the supermarket. *sigh*
  • jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SA was saying this morning he could not interview actor Bill Maynard because he has a mobility scooter, which he says would be difficult to get into LBC.
    Is that prejudice to the disabled ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday I saw some 'Christmas at Sainsburys' mince pies out on show, while at the supermarket. *sigh*

The main supermarkets have hot cross buns all year round.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SA was saying this morning he could not interview actor Bill Maynard because he has a mobility scooter, which he says would be difficult to get into LBC.
    Is that prejudice to the disabled ?

I recall they have a narrow entrance door, and almost immediately there are stairs to go up. I am not sure if there is a lift.

New buildings have to have disability access, but I don't know about existing premises.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurrah! We've got the all time Foamar stats back. Lot of old, much missed names there. :cry:

Hoorah, I am back at second place!

Seeing all those 'old' names, just shows how many posts people made in the 'old days' ! It was many years ago that Radamfi stopped posting here after LBC dropped Iain Lee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoorah, I am back at second place!

Seeing all those 'old' names, just shows how many posts people made in the 'old days' ! It was many years ago that Radamfi stopped posting here after LBC dropped Iain Lee.

He temporarily filled the gaping void in his life by writing up incredibly detailed descriptions of Clive's old podcasts. They sometimes stretched to almost a whole page! Then IL got a job at Absolute and Rad moved in with them! Bless. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

:mad::mad::mad:
    :mad::p:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    :mad::p:mad:

Please remove 'King Foamar' from your profile!

Thank you.
    Forum Member
    I recall they have a narrow entrance door, and almost immediately there are stairs to go up. I am not sure if there is a lift.

New buildings have to have disability access, but I don't know about existing premises.

I am sure there is a lift (remember the Ken and Boris lift-gate incident?). And there's a Steve Allen video from his phone of Cameron or Clegg arriving with their entourage and getting into the lift.

But oddly enough, I am 99% sure that the laws on disability access are based on a bare minimum. They have to provide space, etc to those in a standard wheelchair, but this doesn't extend to the additional space needed by those in a larger electric chair, let alone a scooter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just posting to turn the page. It was refusing to show page 4. :confused:

Ah, must have caught the mods having a 'tidy up'. ;)
    Forum Member
    It was refusing to show page 4. :confused:

Ooh - you edited yourself as I was about to answer with just that observation.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Anyone else find that ""Property, Property, Property" advert flipping annoying :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just posting to turn the page. It was refusing to show page 4. :confused:

You little tinker! ;) For your info I do like to be open minded and I find abortion based on gender appalling. This made me agree with Iain Dale. Which I am sure you will agree is highly unusual.
This discussion has been closed.