There seems to be jeolusy amongst people that messi led his team to the final

Comments

• Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Micknsiv wrote: »
    Zidanes performance against Brazil at the 2006 World Cup is my favourite performance by any player in any match. Ever. He was magical that day.

That's true. It's as if he gave his team mates a chance to perform in the group stages and after watching them play miserably, he thought "**** it, Let me show them how it's done." He was absolutely out of this world and I'm actually struggling to think of a time when he wasn't magical.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david_kenn wrote: »
    Would you rather support your club more than your country?

Yes, of course.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Yes, of course.

Can never understand that and probably never will.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can smell it, those who doubted messi are eating their own words now, messi has led his country to the wc final and is the top scorer for Argentina with an assist to his credit. So do people still think messi will struggle in the PL, since pl, cl, and any national league is inferior to the world cup which is historically the hardest stage for a player and teams.

OK, Lionel, we get it.;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can never understand that and probably never will.

You invest 9 months of every year and thousands of pounds in following your chosen club. Your country is an accident of birth.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Aftershow wrote: »
    You invest 9 months of every year and thousands of pounds in following your chosen club. Your country is an accident of birth.

for the most part so is most peoples club team (you're very likely to support your local team) unless you're choosing to support a foreign one
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    for the most part so is most peoples club team (you're very likely to support your local team) unless you're choosing to support a foreign one

A true football supporter would ALWAYS take club over country. My club belongs to me. England is just a bunch of players from enemy clubs.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    A true football supporter would ALWAYS take club over country. My club belongs to me. England is just a bunch of players from enemy clubs.

That's up to the individual which they consider more important, surely? A Brazilian football-mad supporter might take country over club. That's their right to decide what matters to them.
  • david_kenndavid_kenn Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar that is being a unpatriotic if you pick your club over your country.
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »

I don't think it's fair say true supporters always put their club over their country but I personally would always put my club over the national side. You go and see your club team week after week and you have been brought up watching your side in your stadium since your first fell in love with the game. It's no surprise to that you have more love for your club side with the emotion you put into them year after year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar that is being a unpatriotic if you pick your club over your country.

Even if we accept your dubious assertion that not being that interested in a national team is 'unpatriotic' - so what?
  • david_kenndavid_kenn Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should support the country your born in, you should take pride in your national identity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should support the country your born in, you should take pride in your national identity.

Why 'should' you?

Of course, that is making yet another large assumption that your 'national identity' is linked to 11 footballers.
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure everyone posting on here does but you simply don't put the amount of time, effort and emotion into your national side as you do your club side. If England won the World Cup everyone would be ecstatic but your club side winning something means more to most purely because of everything you have put in to it as a fan.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    What if you have dual nationality?
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure everyone posting on here does but you simply don't put the amount of time, effort and emotion into your national side as you do your club side. If England won the World Cup everyone would be ecstatic but your club side winning something means more to most purely because of everything you have put in to it as a fan.

Sums it up perfectly AC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only English fans prefer clubs to country because England never wins anything.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which country is it you support today again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Which country is it you support today again?

Wow, you follow me around from thread to thread just to make a snide comment. I'm very flattered.

For your information, I always support Italy, always, but if Italy are out the Dutch are my next team. I never support Germany and want whoever plays them to win. Hope that helps :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was already active in the thread, which would make me an unorthodox stalker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »

The majority of clubs don't win anything either so your point is, typically, illogical.
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member

Maybe I would care more if England were decent but at the end of the day I couldn't have cared less when they got knocked out of the World Cup (they weren't even my 'favourite' team), on the other hand if Swansea got relegated I would be absolutely gutted.

The difference in time I invest in my country and my club is astronomical, this world cup was probably the first time Id seen England play since the last one. I spend at least an hour a day reading or talking about Swansea, probably talk about England under an hour in a year.

I don't think this difference is because England don't win anything I think it's because I'm not at all interested in them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who professes a love for Italy Xela, you really should know that club before country really isn't specific to England. Look at how Maradona tried to prey on the emotions of the Neapolitans in 1990.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not a chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    As someone who professes a love for Italy Xela, you really should know that club before country really isn't specific to England. Look at how Maradona tried to prey on the emotions of the Neapolitans in 1990.

That's true, but Maradona was special. I can't really remember another case where a host country would support the opposing team because of one player.

Did Liverpool fans support Uruguay when they were playing England? (genuine question)