Channel 4 to scrap 4oD and replace it with All4

Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    l sincerely hope that C4's new on demand element will be compatible with all connected Freesat boxes and PVRs. This is where clarification and reassurance would be helpful.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    l sincerely hope that C4's new on demand element will be compatible with all connected Freesat boxes and PVRs. This is where clarification and reassurance would be helpful.

Well I'd pretty much garuantee that All 4 will be on exactly the same Freesat devices as 4OD currently is as that what's it's replacing ie: <free time> boxes & TVs.
    If your hoping to see All 4 on G1 Freesat boxes then you'll be disappointed.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it's available online without crappy encryption too. Would be useful for HTPC.s
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    I hope it's available online without crappy encryption too. Would be useful for HTPC.s

"For Channel 4’s registered viewers, the All 4 experience will be increasingly personalised" - this phrase in the press release implies that there will be some form of encryption or access restriction.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "For Channel 4’s registered viewers, the All 4 experience will be increasingly personalised" - this phrase in the press release implies that there will be some form of encryption or access restriction.

No it doesn't, it suggests that they will use a content recommendation engine like Netflix, YouTube, Tivo etc do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Hopefully they give us a HD option or even enhanced SD using VP9 or something because their H264 encoder for their online stuff is crap.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using 4od on the web, I thought the pic quality was poor. Especially when compared to the same content live on freesat hd.
    Why 4od should be this bad I don't know, I player from the beeb has much better quality. When I used it (a month or so ago), I couldn't skip the commercials either which was a real pain compared with on freesat (where I can skip them).
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    Using 4od on the web, I thought the pic quality was poor. Especially when compared to the same content live on freesat hd.
    Why 4od should be this bad I don't know, I player from the beeb has much better quality. When I used it (a month or so ago), I couldn't skip the commercials either which was a real pain compared with on freesat (where I can skip them).

PQ looks pretty good on 4OD via <freetime>.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christoFar wrote: »
    Hopefully they give us a HD option or even enhanced SD using VP9 or something because their H264 encoder for their online stuff is crap.

I would guess this will happen (HD). Channel 4 have been delivering HD On Demand content to Sky for a few months so they have the rights to HD Catch Up