Receiving Eurosport Germany In The UK?

ontheradioontheradio Posts: 374
Forum Member
Does anyone know weather you can receive Eurosport Germany in the UK?

Comments

• TV DUNIYATV DUNIYA Posts: 6,772
    Forum Member
    ontheradio wrote: »
    Does anyone know weather you can receive Eurosport Germany in the UK?

Yes,very easily.
    You can even pick it up with a Sky minidish,as the signal from 19E(Astra 1),is very strong.
  • ontheradioontheradio Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    TV DUNIYA wrote: »
    Yes,very easily.
    You can even pick it up with a Sky minidish,as the signal from 19E(Astra 1),is very strong.

I have a Sky Minidish but only receive British Eurosport. What Astra signal would I be receiving?
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Sky Minidish but only receive British Eurosport. What Astra signal would I be receiving?
    You are receiving the Astra 2 group at 28 East - Eurosport Germany is on Astra 1 at 19.2 East. Your dish would need realigning but you would lose all the UK channels on 28 East then.
    Forum Member
    You are receiving the Astra 2 group at 28 East - Eurosport Germany is on Astra 1 at 19.2 East. Your dish would need realigning but you would lose all the UK channels on 28 East then.

Ah ok. I guess all channels on Astra 1 at 19.2 East are non English language? I'd need a motorised dish?
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Ah ok. I guess all channels on Astra 1 at 19.2 East are non English language? I'd need a motorised dish?
    If you just want these two satellites a MUCH cheaper alternative is a bracket which holds two LNBs at the correct positions.

I am out of touch if anyone makes such things for the Sky minidish - or if it needs a larger dish to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apart from Sky News and BBC World News
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    If you just want these two satellites a MUCH cheaper alternative is a bracket which holds two LNBs at the correct positions.

I am out of touch if anyone makes such things for the Sky minidish - or if it needs a larger dish to work.

It would need a DIY bracket and the dish is almost certainly too small to provide any sort of "rain margin"
  • data123data123 Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Apart from Sky News and BBC World News

There a few more channels in English they are also on 28e
    Bloomberg, CNBC, CNN, NHK World, RT HD, France 24

not on 28e

Arirang TV (South Korea channel in English)
    Fashion One
    Arte (sometimes show films with a English sound track)
    Forum Member
    It would need a DIY bracket and the dish is almost certainly too small to provide any sort of "rain margin"

So I'd need a larger dish for 2 LNB's?
    Forum Member
    So I'd need a larger dish for 2 LNB's?

What is 'rain margin'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is 'rain margin'

A high enough signal to allow reception in bad weather conditions - water in the air reduces the signal received significantly.
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Just get an additional minidish. Much easier than aligning 2 LNBs on one dish.

I'm sure 2 LNB'S is okay? I can have them fitted as I can't have to minidishes where I live etc ...
    Forum Member
    A high enough signal to allow reception in bad weather conditions - water in the air reduces the signal received significantly.

A larger dish with LNB'S then?
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Just get an additional minidish. Much easier than aligning 2 LNBs on one dish.

Ideally I'm looking for the cheapest option?
  • Hooded ClawHooded Claw Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ideally I'm looking for the cheapest option?

Another possibility is to use one of the relatively new Adjustable Monoblock LNBs (About £20).

These are very simple to fit and can accommodate the 9 degrees of separation you require (The latest Octagon one goes up to 15 degrees)

Unlike fixed separation Monoblocks, the Adjustable ones don't have an inbuilt DiSEqC switch, so you would need one of those (About £4)

You would also need a Triax LNB Adapter (About £2) which is simply a direct replacement for the existing BSkyB dish's LNB holder that allows unfussy fitting of a standard 40mm LNB (Which is what the Monoblock needs).

As BSkyB receivers have no DiSEqC switching, then you'd need to ensure the Default Port of the Monoblock (Port A) was allocated to the BSkyB box.

However, as others have said, the BSkyB dish may be too small and to guarantee results you'd need to replace it with a bigger one (60-80cm should do).
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would also need a Triax LNB Adapter (About £2) which is simply a direct replacement for the existing BSkyB dish's LNB holder that allows unfussy fitting of a standard 40mm LNB (Which is what the Monoblock needs).
    Standard LNB's are also less than optimal for a MiniDish due to the shape of both - therefore 28.2'E will be compromised too.

A quick look on eBay is showing mini-dish's for around £30 complete with LNB - all that would need adding is a receiver and the caballing. Lidl occasionally has the whole caboodle on decent offers too.

The Sky box won't cope with connecting the signal from satellites to it either so in any case a new receiver is needed - keeping it simple will give you separate boxes for Sky and German Eurosport. You'll also get "Sport 1" and if you're an F1 fan then RTL carries all the Grand Prix too. In addition to the obvious English language channels Deluxe Music and gotv also broadcast a log of English language music with many of the interviews on gotv in English (with German subtitles) too. If you have a spare socket on the minidish a DiSEqC switch and some extra cables will give you 28.2'E FTA services on the same box too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    Standard LNB's are also less than optimal for a MiniDish due to the shape of both - therefore 28.2'E will be compromised too.

Whilst that is true, in practice the efficiency degradation will be very small - the main issue is the dish size, which is why replacing it with a proper dish of between 60-80cm would be a good idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote: »

The Sky box won't cope with connecting the signal from satellites to it either so in any case a new receiver is needed.

Yes, a separate Receiver for 19.2E would be essential whichever Dish arrangement the OP ultimately decides upon. BSkyB boxes are far too clumsy and inflexible for worthwhile use away from 28E.

But the absence of DiSEqC switching on BSkyB boxes is not a showstopper and simply means that if the BSkyB box is to be retained for 28E use, it must be physically connected to Port A (or Port 1) of any DiSEqC switching device ie The Default Port.

A proper receiver that allows user configured DiSEqC switching would then need to be allocated to a non-default Port.

Generally speaking, we advise people branching out into multi-Satellite reception to maintain a dedicated dish and receiver for 28E as it ultimately reduces complexity. That doesn't preclude mentioning other technically feasibly and reasonably inexpensive solutions, though.
    Forum Member
    Yes, a separate Receiver for 19.2E would be essential whichever Dish arrangement the OP ultimately decides upon. BSkyB boxes are far too clumsy and inflexible for worthwhile use away from 28E.

But the absence of DiSEqC switching on BSkyB boxes is not a showstopper and simply means that if the BSkyB box is to be retained for 28E use, it must be physically connected to Port A (or Port 1) of any DiSEqC switching device ie The Default Port.

A proper receiver that allows user configured DiSEqC switching would then need to be allocated to a non-default Port.

Generally speaking, we advise people branching out into multi-Satellite reception to maintain a dedicated dish and receiver for 28E as it ultimately reduces complexity. That doesn't preclude mentioning other technically feasibly and reasonably inexpensive solutions, though.

So what the best way to go? I currently have Sky HD box and a minidish connected to it via 2 ports. Where I live there is another Minidish I could use for Astra 19.2 for receiving Eurosport Germany etc ... I guess I'll need an additional receiver/box for this?
    Forum Member

Would a minidish be sufficient for receiving from Astra 19,2? I ask, beause I have another minidish I can use here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely - Astra 1 signals are fairly strong* so you could use that spare minidish as a dedicated 19.2E dish quite happily :)

It seems a solution is beginning to present itself!

* Throughhout most of the UK: Can you confirm your location, please?
    Forum Member
    Absolutely - Astra 1 signals are fairly strong so you could use that spare minidish as a dedicated 19.2E dish quite happily :)

There's no one way of getting with using the one dish? I guess with using one minidish for dedicated 28 E and the other for Astra 19.2 would be a good set up!

WIll I need a DiSEqC switching device?
    Forum Member
    Absolutely - Astra 1 signals are fairly strong* so you could use that spare minidish as a dedicated 19.2E dish quite happily :)

* Throughhout most of the UK: Can you confirm your location, please?

I'm based in Northampton
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what the best way to go? I currently have Sky HD box and a minidish connected to it via 2 ports. Where I live there is another Minidish I could use for Astra 19.2 for receiving Eurosport Germany etc ... I guess I'll need an additional receiver/box for this?

Yes, additional Receiver.

A good overall value for money box might be the Openbox V5S/F5S which can be obtained for around £40 and is a decent quality HD multi-sat box which can also be used as a PVR using external USB stick or external HDD.