Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think ITV will be keeping a very close relationship with Jeff Pope for the foreseeable. I expect even they didn't see 6.7m coming.

I hope it outrated Corrie.

I'd say it more likely to be Sheridan Smith that caused the high ratings, she's very popular these days, remember how well the 7.39 did earlier in the year.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Top 20's
    rank	programme	channel	time	figure
    1	Coronation Street	ITV	19:30	7162000
    2	Coronation Street	ITV	20:30	7118000
    3	EastEnders	BBC1 Inc HD	20:00	6289000
    4	Cilla	ITV	21:00	6115000
    5	Emmerdale	ITV	19:00	5661000
    6	Regional News and Weather	BBC1 Inc HD	18:30	5128000
    7	BBC News at Six	BBC1 Inc HD	18:00	4281000
    8	New Tricks	BBC1 Inc HD	21:00	4224000
    9	BBC News at Ten	BBC1 Inc HD	22:00	3964000
    10	The One Show	BBC1 Inc HD	19:00	3744000
    11	Inside Out	BBC1 Inc HD	19:30	3114000
    12	ITV News London	ITV	18:00	3026000
    13	The Undriveables	ITV	20:00	2987000
    14	Pointless	BBC1 Inc HD	17:15	2986000
    15	ITV News & Weather	ITV	18:30	2883000
    16	University Challenge	BBC2 Inc HD	20:00	2552000
    17	BBC News at One	BBC1 Inc HD	13:00	2521000
    18	ITV News at Ten & Weather	ITV	22:00	2436000
    19	Regional News and Weather	BBC1 Inc HD	13:30	2427000
    20	The Chase	ITV	17:00	2226000

ITV does include HD, ratings are NOT tape checked

Cilla even boosted NAT for ITV, is there nothing she can't do?

:)
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    I don't think 60 mins in BBC one prime time is excessive for a special programme on the referendum, regardless of the result its politically historical and the BBC are right to reflect and debate its effects on the whole of the United Kingdom whether they can vote or not. Its a 300 year old history agreement of the UK versus a 30 year old factual crime programme celebration.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Excellent rating for Cilla, although I admit it does make me sad that the few other excellent dramas that have aired recently have got underwhelming ratings when this rating is achievable.

I see we're quoting posts from weeks ago and rubbing them in people's faces, not childish at all.
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    qwerty21 wrote: »
    Middling for Glue but in the context of E4 other homegrown dramas (which have all been recommissioned) it looks ok

Glue (2014): Launch Figure 616k
    My Mad Fat Diary (2013): Launch Figure 498k

Can't find overnights for these next two but consolidated.

Misfits (2009): Launch Figure [Consolidated] 574k
    Skins (2007) Launch Figure [Consolidated] 1.5million

Admittedly some pretty historical comparisons here but it's encouraging for Glue. Warm critical reception and moderate ratings mean that a recomission is likely. E4 are (rightly) very proud of their drama slate and tend to treat them very well.

it's a decent launch and didn't have a lot of publicity.

i think E4 will stick with it.

*boom boom
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone was expecting that for Cilla. I thought 5.5m at best.

And I find it odd that a lot of you spend half your posts on here moaning about Samuel, and then take every opportunity you can to goad him.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent rating for Cilla, although I admit it does make me sad that the few other excellent dramas that have aired recently have got underwhelming ratings when this rating is achievable.

I see we're quoting posts from weeks ago and rubbing them in people's faces, not childish at all.

If posters continually make OTT predictions using phrases like "mark my words" then they deserve to be called out when they are so spectacularly wrong IMO.

It may be childish but let's be honest here, talking about television ratings is hardly some highbrow, philosophical undertaking is it.:)
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That rating seriously highlights how low the dramas have been recently.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Maybe it would be better if people didn't gloat in the first place

That way we wouldn't have the toing and froing between people who are anti or pro certain channels and can barely contain the glee when ratings aren't that good.

• Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I don't think 60 mins in BBC one prime time is excessive for a special programme on the referendum, regardless of the result its politically historical and the BBC are right to reflect and debate its effects on the whole of the United Kingdom whether they can vote or not. Its a 300 year old history agreement of the UK versus a 30 year old factual crime programme celebration.

It irks me that this will affect the whole of the UK but only a minority will get to vote. Democracy in action? But that's for the Politics forum. :blush::D

EDIT: I do understand the minority have been disenfranchised for far too long which is why I think the political system should be changed to Proportional Representation.

I wonder if the debate will focus, in part, on the effect on the UK as a whole? If not, despite it's importance, I don't think a pre-scheduled anniversary show should be moved for it. Actually, I don't think any pre-scheduled show should be moved for it except on BBC one Scotland.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    A full roundup :) I'll edit this once DS puts the soap ratings up :p Thanks to Mike and Brothers Bar for the ratings.

BBC 1
    12:15: Bargain Hunt - 1.99m (36.1%)
    13:00: BBC News at One - 2.52m
    13:30: BBC Regional News - 2.43m
    13:45: Doctors
    14:15: Pressure Pad - 0.67m (12.0%)
    16:30: Flog It! - 1.77m (18.7%)
    17:15: Pointless - 2.99m (23.1%)
    18:00: BBC News at Six - 4.28m
    18:30: BBC Regional News - 5.13m
    19:00: The One Show - 3.74m
    19:30: Inside Out - 3.11m
    20:00: EastEnders - 6.29m
    21:00: New Tricks - 4.22m (18.8%)
    22:00: BBC News at Ten - 3.96m

BBC 2
    18:00: Two Tribes - 1.18m (7.7%)
    18:30: Eggheads - 1.11m (6.6%)
    19:00: Celebrity Antiques Road Trip - 1.35m (7.1%)
    20:00: University Challenge - 2.55m (11.8%)
    20:30: Only Connect - 1.90m (8.6%)

ITV
    14:00: Dickinson’s Real Deal - 0.72m (12.5%)
    16:00: Who’s Doing the Dishes? - 0.82m (9.9%)
    17:00: The Chase - 2.39m (19.4%)
    18:00: ITV Regional News - 3.03m
    18:30: ITV News - 2.88m
    19:00: Emmerdale - 5.66m
    19:30: Coronation Street - 7.16m
    20:00: The Undriveables - 2.99m
    20:30: Coronation Street - 7.12m
    21:00: Cilla - 6.12m (27.2%)
    * +1 - 557.9k (3.7%)
    22:00: ITV News at Ten - 2.44m

Channel 4
    15:10: Countdown - 0.43m (7.0%)
    16:00: Deal or No Deal - 0.74m (9.0%)
    17:00: Come Dine with Me - 0.85m (6.9%)

I'm shocked at how low the Ch4 quizzes/daytime fare rates. Has it rated that low for a while? Don't follow Ch4's ratings. Maybe they should swap Countdown and DOND around? DOND is an appalling programme.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That way we wouldn't have the toing and froing between people who are anti or pro certain channels and can barely contain the glee when ratings aren't that good.

I don't mind a bit of banter. If people are silly enough to get worked up more fool them. Nice to get a high rating and a surprising rating. Makes things more interesting.

Viewers are there but most of the TV offerings are driving them away. The main channels must try harder.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    :o at Cilla! That is an amazing rating after months and months of dross. Don't think anyone saw that coming! The decline of New Tricks this year is truly staggering. The once all conquering show reduced to 4.2m in the space of a year. Hopefully ITV can pull in some good ratings in the Monday 9PM slot over the coming weeks.

Glue started OK - thought it would have been higher to be honest. It will probably timeshift to a 1m. The soaps still on the low side for me. Corrie just over 7m on Monday night in September is poor - but given how poor it is right now, maybe its all relative.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    18:30: BBC Regional News - 5.13m
    19:00: The One Show - 3.74m

ITV
    19:00: Emmerdale - 5.66m

Don't be surprised if Emmerdale's share is a few points lower than usual - BBC One Scotland are opting out of The One Show this week due to Referendum coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    It irks me that this will affect the whole of the UK but only a minority will get to vote. Democracy in action? But that's for the Politics forum. :blush::D

I wonder if the debate will focus, in part, on the effect on the UK as a whole? If not, despite it's importance, I don't think a pre-scheduled anniversary show should be moved for it. Actually, I don't think any pre-scheduled show should be moved for it except on BBC one Scotland.

Yes, I understand, I likewise I would also feel frustrated if it were Wales, Northern Ireland or England who were contemplating a serious departure from a 300 year old agreement and I had no vote on it. However the coverage is important for the country as a whole. Politics is likely to have some sort of significant change from this vote. Parts of England already are discussing how they could have more democratic, localised powers, so I don't really see where else BBC one could have scheduled it. "Crimewatch" is just about the only thing they could move before Thursday in prime time. Charlotte Moore perhaps thought it more important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed, I think the rise of services like Netflix and their immediate availability of box set dramas is having an effect on terrestrial drama ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do see your point. Personally I take this thread as a bit of light hearted fun and enjoy reading it immensely, but some do seem to take it very seriously and in some cases very personally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes it does! If some programmes had more appeal the overnights would be higher. I'm talking about ones with good timeslots that underwhelm. And if the rest of the schedule doesn't appeal you're less likely to watch a channel on a certain night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    I do see your point. Personally I take this thread as a bit of light hearted fun and enjoy reading it immensely, but some do seem to take it very seriously and in some cases very personally.

They do. Fools. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Yog.

An update on Saturday's Doctor Who.
    Yog101 wrote: »
    Live + VOSDAL: 4.808m
    + Day 1: 6.125m
    + Day 2: 6.526m
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    From Yog.

An update on Saturday's Doctor Who.

Excellent news. Added 1.718m already, highest 2 day timeshift of the series so far, should be able to get over 7m now. Only 0.13m down on where previous episode was at this point, it was down 0.41m in the overnights.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Yes, I understand, I likewise I would also feel frustrated if it were Wales, Northern Ireland or England who were contemplating a serious departure from a 300 year old agreement and I had no vote on it. However the coverage is important for the country as a whole. Politics is likely to have some sort of significant change from this vote. Parts of England already are discussing how they could have more democratic, localised powers, so I don't really see where else BBC one could have scheduled it. "Crimewatch" is just about the only thing they could move before Thursday in prime time. Charlotte Moore perhaps thought it more important.

The Devolution Max promise has changed the landscape completely as it has an even greater impact on the other countries in the union now, I agree. But could there be a pre-scheduled debate on this impact (on either all the countries or all but Scotland) at another time? We have referendum coverage on the news and they could easily publicise the 9pm showing on BBC One offering people the chance to switch to BBC One Scotland or watch online.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    I wasn't expecting to come in here and be shocked in a good way by an overnight, that hasn't happened much if at all recently. Cilla performed exceptionally well. To achieve a top end figure like that even with a weaker than usual Corrie preceding it is particularly impressive. A brilliant audience. Unfortunately for the BBC it came at the expense of New Tricks, which really is dropping away alarmingly quickly now. Glue did okay but needs to find a bit more through the run for there to be a strong case for bringing it back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    The Devolution Max promise has changed the landscape completely as it has an even greater impact on the other countries in the union now, I agree. But could there be a pre-scheduled debate on this impact (on either all the countries or all but Scotland) at another time? We have referendum coverage on the news and they could easily publicise the 9pm showing on BBC One offering people the chance to switch to BBC One Scotland or watch online.

I think under Moore BBC one will continue to have these water cooler debates, she seemed keen in interviews to reflect what was happening up and down the country whether it be the next prime minister or Doctor Who! I don't think this will be the end of BBC one moving pre scheduled programming in favour of documentary strands or debate. I think they are right to move something as bland as "Crime watch" celebration of 30 years, for the coverage of a national debate on how our country is divided and run. No doubt Wales and Northern Ireland will also be waiting and watching and be interested in how this vote goes, and of course the viewers in Wales, Northern Ireland and England who cannot vote but are Scottish.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    :o:o over 6.5m for Cilla? Have they got that right lol. Wasn't expecting anything like that. Sad for NT being so low. It seems the BBC are having a weekly Monday 9pm ratings crisis ;)

But to be serious, 6.6m is a great if unexpected rating.
This discussion has been closed.