Just told my brother who I would be voting for on Thursday...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    I think people think twitter and facebook is real life...:D

Facebook and twitter status updates are posted by real life people - I've seen the hate filled rants.

It is happening, perhaps not in your circle of friends, but it is happening.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrstim wrote: »
    This is what I'm worried about - I've been so shocked at the behaviour and hate that's come from people I classed as friends , who came to our wedding and have taken a drink from my English husband and called him 'pal' - yet now they are all Braveheart and posting racists rants on FB ( clearly forgetting they are friends with him or not actually caring how they are making him feel)

It's making me feel sick.

I think you better move back to England for your own safety

Oh and close your FB account too

quick, before Thursday as we may have the borders shut on Friday

<insert scary laugh>
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you better move back to England for your own safety

Oh and close your FB account too

quick, before Thursday as we may have the borders shut on Friday

<insert scary laugh>

I don't have a FB or twitter but thanks for your concern.

Oh and BTW I'm Scottish, born in Dundee - so I wouldn't be moving ' back to England '
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrstim wrote: »
    This is what I'm worried about - I've been so shocked at the behaviour and hate that's come from people I classed as friends , who came to our wedding and have taken a drink from my English husband and called him 'pal' - yet now they are all Braveheart and posting racists rants on FB ( clearly forgetting they are friends with him or not actually caring how they are making him feel)

It's making me feel sick.

If these nutters on FB are actually making you sick why don't you either unfriend them or log out for a while. It is not worth risking your health over silly round robin posts.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These stories always sound made-up to me. The tone is all wrong.

The internet is a dishonest place nowadays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    So, when your brother said we could keep using the pound and you said we can't, who was wrong?

I know I was wrong but he thinks if Scotland keeps the pound, everything will be as it is just now.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I think most commentators now accept it will be and the debate has moved on

:D:D:D

Who are these commentators that you speak of ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    And you rushed right over to tell us because....

I felt like it, and it bothers you because..................
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt like it, and it bothers you because..................

Because a portion of the Yes camp seems to be all for free speech up until the point where you dare to criticise them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    These stories always sound made-up to me. The tone is all wrong.

The internet is a dishonest place nowadays.

It is twitter and Facebook. Everyone has a voice. You have got to wonder at how much police time is wasted over people posting offensive things and people taking offence.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to school in the mid 70's in Scotland. There was 5 English boys in the school including me. We were all beaten up regularly with the teachers doing nothing. It got so bad I had to move back to England and continue my education staying with relatives. I did have Scottish friends but I also saw the nasty side. The abuse was for no other reason than I was English. It was in Lossiemouth High School if that makes any difference.

I live in England, born here too, have often gone up to Scotland to visit Scottish relatives and when they heard our accents they would always have a derogatory comment to make about the English, we were brought up to accept it as just their way. When England v Germany were playing in the 1990 World Cup (? some match anyway), my Mum and Auntie were visiting my Grandpa in Scotland and the support was all for Germany in big way. This attitude can be denied, but it has been the norm for my English side of the family, it does exist.

My sister's ex husband is Scottish, but they lived and worked in England, he had been married before to a Scottish woman, who had no problem with living in a council house in England, while openly slagging England off, they are still doing just that, but that's typical England for you, just let people do that and moan about it, while we bend over.
    I know midwives who cannot get jobs in Scotland once trained and commute to London for work, having to travel back and forth to Scotland frequently. They are really suffering, just to stay registered and practice.

I would personally like Scotland to stay as part of UK, I love Scotland, I am part Scottish,however, I do not live there, it's not up to me. Although some of the comments about the English from some I met over my lifetime were deliberately nasty, from other relatives and friends it was normal banter, no harm intended-banter they meant, though.Even my Grandpa, who lived in England for many years of his life, married an Englishwoman would joke about the Sassenachs in the family.
    Only hope it works out for Scotland, whichever way it goes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because a portion of the Yes camp seems to be all for free speech until the point where you dare to criticise them.

I am in favour of free speech . I wouldn't dream of trying to censor the debate between funlovingirl and her brother. I even hope she keeps us up to date with future developments. No censorship here :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    If these nutters on FB are actually making you sick why don't you either unfriend them or log out for a while. It is not worth risking your health over silly round robin posts.

As I said I don't have a FB page, it's my husband and daughter and friends that have them ( altho my daughter has been clever enough to deactivate hers )

I really do hope that all the posts about punching people are just bravado, my Husband is one of the loveliest people I've ever known and his place of birth should mean nothing.
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    I am in favour of free speech . I wouldn't dream of trying to censor the debate between funlovingirl and her brother. I even hope she keeps us up to date with future developments. No censorship here :)

Oh I don't mean you, I was referring to the posters having a go at the OP for even posting about it in the first place.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I was wrong but he thinks if Scotland keeps the pound, everything will be as it is just now.

You were wrong on that and wrong on NATO. What actually did you get right?
  • thisthis Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Some of the yes camp are coming across a tad rabid, Braveheart complex anyone?

Crikey, i really feel for the sane people if they don't get their freedom.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..and he literally freaked out!

Myself, my sister and my brother were all at my mother's house and my sister asked me how I would be voting on Thursday, I told her I would be voting no, my sister said she'd also be voting no as she had to think of her daughters futures. Upon hearing this my brother began shouting at us calling us stupid and telling us that people like us would ruin Scotland. I tried telling him the reasons why I would be voting no, including the issues with the currency, no Nato membership etc. He persisted to call me and my sister stupid and told me I would get no job (I was filling out an application form at the time) as I'm stupid. :)

I know he is passionate about Scotland but I never expected him to react like this! It has just made me realise how some people seem blinded by the SNP lies.

Think yourself lucky. I was called a Rangers supporter :(

Also a f*cking idiot right enough but that's fair comment :)
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this wrote: »

Good job you highlighted the 'some' in bold.;-)

Cybermen in kilts anyone?
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Yorkshire bloke has worked with us for 25 years and I've never heard anyone call him a derogetary name or bad mouth him behind his back about his Englishness, he's a miserable, dour right wing homophobe, but his Englishness has never been an issue with us.
    However he has mentioned a few " racist " comments have come his way recently, I do wonder if some people mistake friendly banter/ribbing with full on Racism.
    Forum Member
    yup i gather some would fancy it but, some seem to need it badly. i hope Scotland stay and if they do i also hope the Bravehearts will not hold it against no voters, however some comments on here make me doubt that.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    You were wrong on that and wrong on NATO. What actually did you get right?

Lol, oh your so wrong. According to Nato leader, Anders Fogh Rasmussen,

"any newly independent state that wanted to become a Nato member would have to apply to join and then gain the support of all 28 existing member states.

Mr Rasmussen insisted there had been no discussion within the alliance regarding any application by an independent Scotland to join, describing it as a "hypothetical question".

He refused to be drawn on how long it would take for such an application to be dealt with, saying that it would depend on an applicant country's ability to fulfil the "necessary criteria".

I guess he's wrong as well then. :)

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/nato-leader-iscotland-would-need-unanimous-backing-from-all-28-states-to-jo.1410805900
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of "yes" campaigners are loud mouthed chavs, or at least people in my life. Its really brought out their ugly, arrogant sides.

I haven't heard anyone as of yet being yelled at or treated like a traitor for saying they're voting yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yup i gather some would fancy it but, some seem to need it badly. i hope Scotland stay and if they do i also hope the Bravehearts will not hold it against no voters, however some comments on here make me doubt that.:(

Its going to kick off, I have a feeling it might if there's a narrow no majority. That's why I've told my dad to not put any of those vile little stickers up.
    Forum Member
    It's daft.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Must say, this is something that strikes me as a bit one-sided.

I mean, if there's a "no" vote, they're just going to start all over again and we'll have the same crap in ten or 15 years or whatever.
    Conversely, if there's a "yes" vote, the rest of us are shafted forever. No second chances, no do-overs. :(