The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downton Abbey returns on Sunday at 9pm, it's up against some stiff competition:-

BBC1 - NEW SERIES - OUR GIRL (military drama, 1 of 5).

BBC2 - THIS WORLD - US prison documentary.

C4 - FILM PREMIERE - SAFE HOUSE - 2012 thriller starring Ryan Reynolds.

C5 - FILM PREMIERE - IN TIME - 2011 sci-fi starring Justin Timberlake.

Will be interesting to see how it does.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guess its time for Viacom to include some new concepts to Channel 5, Also Viacom should re-brand the channel back to FIVE or some other name.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Viacom will stick to Channel 5 rather than revert back to Five but a rebranding wouldn't surprise me.
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Downton Abbey returns on Sunday at 9pm, it's up against some stiff competition:-

I think Safe House should do well, not sure about In Time. Our Girl probably will be squeezed out.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only person who thinks 6.1m for a massively trailed Cilla drama, with Corrie lead in and cross promotion, in the September darkness, isn't exactly earth shattering?

BBC1 launched a period drama about Chester Zoo to a similar ballpark 5.3m just the other week.

I wouldn't rule out new tricks regaining the lead next week either!

Yes

And how is 6.1m anywhere in the same ballpark at 5.3m, let alone 6.7m. Cilla managed a figure close to 7m from a weak Corrie, while Our Zoo managed a figure of 5.3m from a 9m lead in. Which one looks more impressive?

New Tricks is unlikely too regain the lead, and I expect Cilla to either stay steady or even rise. If it does indeed rise we could be looking at NT ending its series with a rating below 4m. This would be unthinkable just last year.

If you strip out the ads of Cilla its likely to be be over 7m anyway, and will likely consolidate over 8m.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Guess its time for Viacom to include some new concepts to Channel 5, Also Viacom should re-brand the channel back to FIVE or some other name.
    I think Viacom have said they have no plans to do so and are keen on keeping the Channel 5 brand. It would be a waste of time rebranding to Five anyway. Some new idents and imaging wouldn't go a miss, though. The current look is 3 and a half years old now, the longest running in the channel's history according to This Is Five.

http://www.thisisfive.co.uk/ident2011a.shtml
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    At least Under the Dome was slightly up week-on-week (at least exc+1) and steady in share.

D.M.N., do you have last week's official please?

1.51m (9.0%). :)
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I think Viacom have said they have no plans to do so and are keen on keeping the Channel 5 brand. It would be a waste of time rebranding to Five anyway. Some new idents and imaging wouldn't go a miss, though. The current look is 3 and a half years old now, the longest running in the channel's history according to This Is Five.

I think Channel 5 should do something to that logo in the idents and improve the website.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Assuming that Cilla holds up over its run, rather than commission a Brucie profile as someone suggested there IS a way of getting another (sort of) series out of what on the face of it looks a one off three parter - and keep some of this cast in there, too.

Get Jeff Pope to tell the story of The Beatles in the same way, which would allow for some appearances by Sheridan Smith in that. As the first episode showed she knew them from the start.

Plus that would be an even easier sell internationally.

Five words.

Yoko Ono. John Lennon's Likeness.

Too much hassle sorting that out, I think an American channel is trying to do a drama featuring Beatles music and are running into difficulty I believe.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    I think they should do something to that logo in the idents and improve the website.
    They've changed the logo on the website slightly. "Channel" is now in lowercase as opposed to capital letters. A subtle change, granted. But might indicate they intend a more thorough refresh, including on air.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV has bought a real dud, I think we can safely say that now. All about limiting the potential damage from ITV's point-of-view, as it's very unlikely to be successful here given the overwhelmingly negative response it's had elsewhere when the UK market is probably more progressive than some of the key markets it has tanked in already-- admittedly that's not saying very much.

Rising Star might buck the trend. I wouldn't launch it in January anywhere near Call The Midwife though. Try a time of year where the BBC1 competition is weaker.

Tanking in America and Germany, two big markets, is terrible for the show. That's a lot of potential revenue gone.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The current 5 logo is fine but I agree they need new idents and a refresh of the website. Would think an on and off campaign showcasing the best of the channel around the time that Gotham launches would be great. The ad campaign they did a few years back advertising US drama with just the faces of the leads was pretty impressive.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Rising Star might buck the trend. I wouldn't launch it in January anywhere near Call The Midwife though. Try a time of year where the BBC1 competition is weaker.

I doubt it will do anything over 5m. If I were ITV I would push it back to July when they have nothing else expect repeats. Its might provide a bit of interest when they literally zilch on TV.

March still has some good TV. Better to stink up July, than March wen it might pull down the schedule.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Long Lost Family - Series Averages
    2011 - 5.03m (19.6%) - 6 episodes
    2012 - 5.15m (20.7%) - 7 episodes
    2013 - 5.86m (24.1%) - 8 episodes
    2014 - 4.95m (19.6%) - 8 episodes

I say a 'not great' series average, however five million is still a really good number for returning factual, and its not something that is going to get axed unless numbers drop a further million as it is relatively cheap to make.

Meanwhile, Judge Rinder's first series officially averaged 1.10m (15.8%).

I think it'll last another couple of years yet but I don't think it'll hang around forever. I'm a big fan of the show but I found myself getting a bit bored of the format this series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it will do anything over 5m. If I were ITV I would push it back to July when they have nothing else expect repeats. Its might provide a bit of interest when they literally zilch on TV.

March still has some good TV. Better to stink up July, than March wen it might pull down the schedule.

Got to agree - if it looks like a struggler, then air it next summer. Otherwise, sit it on the shelf for just now and don't attempt to stink up a winter/spring schedule.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I think Safe House should do well, not sure about In Time.

In Time is pretty good. From the director of Gattaca, Andrew Niccol. Even The Trousersnake acquits himself well!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a very competitive 9pm hour on Sunday. I think it will affect Our Girl more than Downton. If Our Girl gets 5m it will be a miracle!
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's obviously a big problem with New Tricks this year. When a hit series goes from trampling everything in its path one year to actively repelling viewers the following year, it's clear person or persons unknown have messed something up quite badly.

I'd be tempted not to schedule the remaining episodes until next summer, where they can air in a soft slot (Tuesdays) as some sort of final farewell.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,858
    Forum Member
    Got to agree - if it looks like a struggler, then air it next summer. Otherwise, sit it on the shelf for just now and don't attempt to stink up a winter/spring schedule.

Although, what do they have for Winter Weekends if this is the plan, Stars in their Eyes will probably take its old Saturday early evening slot I would think, so what replaces DOI? They'd be equally as well having four weeks of auditions on a Sunday in February (assuming SITE is in January) and SNT taking the Saturday Slot to avoid Singing Show overload with The Voice, SITE and RS all in the same weekend. Then strip the finals before BGT starts up again. Its too expensive a format to just burn off in summer or leave it on a shelf somewhere, and will be very expensive to run as its completely live all the way through. ABC did renew it for a midseason replacement in January so they clearly have a little faith in it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I think Viacom will stick to Channel 5 rather than revert back to Five but a rebranding wouldn't surprise me.

I think Safe House should do well, not sure about In Time. Our Girl probably will be squeezed out.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    That's a very competitive 9pm hour on Sunday. I think it will affect Our Girl more than Downton. If Our Girl gets 5m it will be a miracle!

Agree that with Downton returning Our Girl could be up against it - a pity, as on paper it looks like an interesting addition for a Sunday night audience - stars Lacey Turner (ex Eastender) and returning on the back of a successful one-off last year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Although, what do they have for Winter Weekends if this is the plan, Stars in their Eyes will probably take its old Saturday early evening slot I would think, so what replaces DOI? They'd be equally as well having four weeks of auditions on a Sunday in February (assuming SITE is in January) and SNT taking the Saturday Slot to avoid Singing Show overload with The Voice, SITE and RS all in the same weekend. Then strip the finals before BGT starts up again. Its too expensive a format to just burn off in summer or leave it on a shelf somewhere, and will be very expensive to run as its completely live all the way through. ABC did renew it for a midseason replacement in January so they clearly have a little faith in it?

Good shout, might be worth going for in February as you say.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's obviously a big problem with New Tricks this year. When a hit series goes from trampling everything in its path one year to actively repelling viewers the following year, it's clear person or persons unknown have messed something up quite badly.

I'd be tempted not to schedule the remaining episodes until next summer, where they can air in a soft slot (Tuesdays) as some sort of final farewell.

The problem with New Tricks in my opinion is that Tamsin Outhwaite is terribly difficult to warn to. She comes across naturally as cold and I think it resonates on screen too. She is no Amanda Redman and Nick Lyndhurst is no Alun Armstrong either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »

There's a massive hole on Sundays that needs filling on ITV in Winter. Rising Star was bought to fill that hole. But seeing how the show has done around the world caution I s needed. BGT is a Summer show but mostly on Saturdays. Rising Star on Sundays? That would give it a nice gap from The Voice.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 9s
    #Cilla on ITV made a very strong start last night with 6.67m/29.7% tuning in, winning its slot. @Sheridansmith1

Fantastic for Cilla!

Wow. Massive rating for Cilla. So much for it being a flop waiting to happen. Almost 7m tuned in, and I can see it staying flat throughout the series.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK
    Against #Cilla, BBC1's #NewTricks continued its decline with 4.22m/18.8%, 690,000 down on last week.
    9:41 AM - 16 Sep 2014

Ouch, again this was the show that was supposed to ensure Cilla was DOA, and would crush it, batter it etc. A once massive drama looks like it is heading for cancellation. Bringing in a new cast but then constant repeats of episodes featuring the old cast can't exactly help.
    Re: Cilla - speaking as someone who watched it :blush:...

I was surprised at how it kept me entertained. If you actually ignored the fact it was about Cilla Black and just viewed it as a story of a 60's working class girl, it worked even more.

With the right people working on a show, it proves that audiences will watch.
    This is an important point which is worth mentioning again and shows that not all biopics can be treat the same. Unlike others, you didn't even have to know it was Cilla, it was basically just a nice story of a working class girl in 60s Liverpool. If it was about her more recent TV career, like the Tommy Cooper one was, it might not have done as well. This is also why they can't just commission any old biopic expecting the same results.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Peaky Blinders returns Thursday 2nd October at 9pm. I hope this does well, mainly because its one of those dramas that have a very vocal (i.e annoying) online fanbase which doesn't translate to viewers, leading to it being cancelled, and the pointless petitions like Ripper Street and The Hour.

I wonder where The Fall will end up. Thursdays after Peaky Blinders, or Mondays when New Tricks finishes? Monday would be better, but I can see BBC One putting The Missing there (which I think shows promise, but it could easily end up on Thursdays and be a massive flop.)
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New Tricks' decline is rather noteworthy I feel. Not so long ago it was smashing it out of the park in its timeslots wherever it was.
This discussion has been closed.