Options

Andre's "suffering"

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the photographs of the visit to the hospice, I cannot warm to Peter Andre. I see it as self promotion. .

The difference in David Beckham visiting a Chinese children's hospital, is that he doesnt look desperate and in need of promoting his career.

David is shown laughing and entertaining the children and Peter near tears and holding a very ill child.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    bunny55 wrote: »
    Looking at the photographs of the visit to the hospice, I cannot warm to Peter Andre. I see it as self promotion. .

The difference in David Beckham visiting a Chinese children's hospital, is that he doesnt look desperate and in need of promoting his career.

David is shown laughing and entertaining the children and Peter near tears and holding a very ill child.

How would you prefer him to be while holding a very ill child?

Not a barbed comment, but I remember Princess Anne would visit sick children with a very stern look and never touch one or pick one up.

I honestly think whatever, however, Peter acted, someone would find fault on here or should he take the easy way and do nothing at all. Then the charity would not get the publicity and donations.
  • Options
    sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have another look. Pete is laughing on this one

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/peter_andre_and_karen_millen_make_kent_charity_stop_off_1_2243962
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    How would you prefer him to be while holding a very ill child?

Not a barbed comment, but I remember Princess Anne would visit sick children with a very stern look and never touch one or pick one up.

I honestly think whatever, however, Peter acted, someone would find fault on here or should he take the easy way and do nothing at all. Then the charity would not get the publicity and donations.

He doesnt need to be holding a very ill child.

David Beckham gets the message across and doesnt need to make it about him.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No, he doesn't need to be holding the child, it is called compassion, some people have it, others don't.

It is a snapshot, a moment in time. The Beckhams are also criticized for their charity work and childrens photos. Much the same.
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member

Don't know about you but every time I see an extremely ill child I have a strong urge to give that child a hug.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People handle situations in very different ways. Look at Comic Relief etc. Some people go out there and want to hug every sick child, others stand back, others flee in tears. None of these are wrong, just different
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    No, he doesn't need to be holding the child, it is called compassion, some people have it, others don't.

It is a snapshot, a moment in time. The Beckhams are also criticized for their charity work and childrens photos. Much the same.

I have read plenty of comments accusing David Beckham of self promotion when doing something for charity.

Not everyone likes DB just as not everyone likes PA....The thing is that with some people if they have a strong dislike for someone they will never be able to see any good in them.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    People handle situations in very different ways. Look at Comic Relief etc. Some people go out there and want to hug every sick child, others stand back, others flee in tears. None of these are wrong, just different

It's just with PA, his DOTYness preceeds him, so it's entirely his own fault if people are very cynical about him and his motivations. That's just the reality and it has nothing to do with disliking him for the sake of it.

And really, that pic at the earlier link is way OTT and ripe for cynicism. If he had any sense, he'd have asked them not to use that one and go for a less 'suffering' one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    It's just with PA, his DOTYness preceeds him, so it's entirely his own fault if people are very cynical about him and his motivations. That's just the reality and it has nothing to do with disliking him for the sake of it.

And really, that pic at the earlier link is way OTT and ripe for cynicism. If he had any sense, he'd have asked them not to use that one and go for a less 'suffering' one.

Would anyone really say, "Not that suffering child, I'll have my picture taken with that other one"

That would really be one for his detractors. As I said previously, he is damned one way and damned the other.
    I know he is cheesy but harmless.
  • Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »

There are times when you can hear him singing "Heal the World" in his head and truly believing that he is somehow doing that. When "What Would Michael Do" is your guidance, you have issues.

Trouble is, he never really got past the "Looking at the man in the mirror" to move onto the "asking him to change his ways"...:D
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are times when you can hear him singing "Heal the World" in his head and truly believing that he is somehow doing that. When "What Would Michael Do" is your guidance, you have issues.

Trouble is, he never really got past the "Looking at the man in the mirror" to move onto the "asking him to change his ways"...:D

:D Very good, Art. :D
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done in advance to Peter and All those who will be involved in raising money for the children's Hospice .... It really annoys me that hospices have to raise money to survive and the more we as individuals can do to help the better
  • Options
    SenseiSamSenseiSam Posts: 3,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done in advance to Peter and All those who will be involved in raising money for the children's Hospice .... It really annoys me that hospices have to raise money to survive and the more we as individuals can do to help the better

Completely agree Betty - Demelza's has to rely almost entirely on voluntary donations to continue and charge nothing for the services they provide.100% of profits of Music on the Hill are divided between the four charities http://www.musiconthehill.org.uk/about. We've got ticket for Saturday so fingers crossed it stays dry ...

Some happy photos of Pete at the kick-off of the Fruit Shoots get your skills on campaign http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/hes-skills-peter-andre-visits-4701589 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SenseiSam wrote: »
    Completely agree Betty - Demelza's has to rely almost entirely on voluntary donations to continue and charge nothing for the services they provide.100% of profits of Music on the Hill are divided between the four charities http://www.musiconthehill.org.uk/about. We've got ticket for Saturday so fingers crossed it stays dry ...

Some happy photos of Pete at the kick-off of the Fruit Shoots get your skills on campaign http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/hes-skills-peter-andre-visits-4701589 :)

Hope it's a sell out SenseiSam ... I support a children's hospice in Liverpool as its close to my heart ...Zoe's Place
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope it's a sell out SenseiSam ... I support a children's hospice in Liverpool as its close to my heart ...Zoe's Place

I think that's one advantage hospices have for their fund raising - people who've had any personal experience of them tend to be very loyal and supportive. Very special places.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's one advantage hospices have for their fund raising - people who've had any personal experience of them tend to be very loyal and supportive. Very special places.

They truely are... And the people who work there are such kind dedicated amazing people ..they deserve all the support we can give
  • Options
    Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello all ...

Anyone know how to avoid chafing, saddles sores and crotch rash?

In other news, PA has a tour of 9 dates about to be announced. Well i think its 9 .. could have been 14, my mind freezes when in a state of shock. Sadly no Wemberleee Stadium
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello all ...

Anyone know how to avoid chafing, saddles sores and crotch rash?

In other news, PA has a tour of 9 dates about to be announced. Well i think its 9 .. could have been 14, my mind freezes when in a state of shock. Sadly no Wemberleee Stadium

Ask Danny Price about the first one, KP for the other 2;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Backham or Andre, whenever celebrities and charity mix I will inevitably roll my eyes and moan about self promotion. As a hardened cynic I find it very hard to see it as genuine. I much prefer celebs who do work away from the limelight and don't insist the press cover every last second.

Having said that I would rather it happened then a charity go without. If self promotion is the price to pay for publicity and donations then so be it. I would rather a celeb used a good cause to paint themselves in a good light then for the cause to go without, if that makes sense?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing DB does not need is self promotion, PA on the other hand has only began publicly burying himself up to the neck in charitable causes since a certain cc began to head his way ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HIPZ have announced that the bike ride is expected to raise around £70,000. From experience I'd say that charities actively seek to involve celebrities in publicly promoting their causes and events because it significantly increases their media coverage and fundraising. One of my friends met Pete when he visited the school for the disabled which she works at and said he seemed genuinely interested and was generous with his time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cym wrote: »
    One thing DB does not need is self promotion, PA on the other hand has only began publicly burying himself up to the neck in charitable causes since a certain cc began to head his way ;)
    HIPZ have announced that the bike ride is expected to raise around £70,000. From experience I'd say that charities actively seek to involve celebrities in publicly promoting their causes and events because it significantly increases their media coverage and fundraising. One of my friends met Pete when he visited the school for the disabled which she works at and said he seemed genuinely interested and was generous with his time.

Im sure the £7,000+ personally raised by Andre will make a difference but , Im actually shocked that he raised so little after the publicity, considering he is a "celebrity" and has a fanbase. He doesnt appear to be able to raise considerable amounts of money, if one also looks at the CR. I hope the concert will raise good funds for the Karen Millen charity.

He did say he was going to sell the Fezza and give part of the money to the HPZ charity, so hopefully they benefitted with some of that money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im sure the £7,000+ personally raised by Andre will make a difference but , Im actually shocked that he raised so little after the publicity, considering he is a "celebrity" and has a fanbase. He doesnt appear to be able to raise considerable amounts of money, if one also looks at the CR. I hope the concert will raise good funds for the Karen Millen charity.

He did say he was going to sell the Fezza and give part of the money to the HPZ charity, so hopefully they benefitted with some of that money.

I think raising funds by sponsored events is getting more difficult because money is tight for a lot of people and you tend to get continually asked for donations through your kid's schools etc. He probably thought he'd raise more given his number of Twitter followers but that didn't happen. But the important thing is that HIPZ raised what they needed to start the next stage of improvements and they'll get some more publicity when it's aired on his show in September.

This may sound cynical but I think a lot of people seem keener to donate if they get something back. I think the Crystal Ball which sounds like the main fundraiser for his Foundation should do better because they'll be selling tickets and having a charity auction. Similar events have raised around a million pounds. I did see that the Fezza has been sold so hopefully Dr Ru held Pete to his pledge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My personal feelings on celebs and charity..
    Celebs often use the charity to promote their profile in a positive way and charity's are ,I'm sure, well aware of this..so use them for promotions to A.. To .raise the charities profile
    B..to raise funds
    It's a win win situation for both.
    I do get fed up of celebs who tell me to give money but do nothing but be a face for the charity themselves.. Its obvious I'm no fan of Peter but have applauded him for the bike ride and all those who took part ..they deserve that
This discussion has been closed.