Touch my hair!

FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
Forum Member
New York City Art Exhibit Lets Strangers Touch Varied Textures of Black Hair
Touching hair is a controversial topic within the natural hair community. Several women with natural hair have to deal with unwelcome touches or various requests to discover what their hair texture feels like. Some are perhaps happy to oblige but most compare the experience to feeling like an animal at a petting zoo.

An editorial site that focuses on the black hair experience, un-ruly.com is exploring the touching phenomenon in an unconventional way. They are launching an interactive public exhibit called “You Can Touch My Hair,” which will take place today and on June 8th, 2013 from 2-4pm in New York City’s Union Square.

The exhibit is being touted as their effort to “take one for the team and explore the tactile fascination with black hair.” As part of the project, “strangers from all walks of life will have the welcomed opportunity to touch various textures of black hair” on live models.

It will be fascinating to see how the participants feel about their experience once the exhibit comes to a close.

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2013/06/new-york-city-art-exhibit-lets-strangers-touch-varied-textures-of-black-hair/

Comments

• PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is natural hair on a woman unusual then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting use of the word 'fascinating' there.
  • Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another pretentious waste of money and time art exhibit

plus ca change
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tune in next week for Suck My ... :eek:
  • FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    Is natural hair on a woman unusual then?

Natural in that there are no chemicals in it and the curl pattern can be distinguished like this

http://i0.wp.com/www.kibibihair.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Screen-shot-2013-03-02-at-12.04.58-AM.png?resize=717%2C427

rather than this

http://www.blackhairinformation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Pretty-woman-with-relaxed-hair-smiling.jpg
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What nonsense is this now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    What nonsense is this now.

:D

This made me guffaw. The cat has taken flight. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FortyTwo25 wrote: »

Im starting to think I have misunderstood. Does the term "black hair" actually mean "black people's hair"?
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im starting to think I have misunderstood. Does the term "black hair" actually mean "black people's hair"?

Also - are we talking about that situated at the top of the head?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got Samatha Fox singing touch me and Alan Partridge shouting smell my cheese, in my head.
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member

This is exactly what I just realised, I thought it was the colour black.
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. :)

That's kind of a stupid phrase then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a controversial topic :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once witnessed a complete stranger reached out and caressed a poor woman's afro hair. The poor woman glared at the stranger, who actually then said, "It feels horrible. I'm glad I'm not black. Sorry." After the stranger got off the bus, the poor woman said to us, "I'm tired of people touching my hair without my permission."

That was when we found out it was common for strangers to touch black women's hair without permission. I didn't believe her until I asked black friends. All said it happened to them as well. A lot more common when they were kids. Awful, really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I once witnessed a complete stranger reached out and caressed a poor woman's afro hair. The poor woman glared at the stranger, who actually then said, "It feels horrible. I'm glad I'm not black. Sorry." After the stranger got off the bus, the poor woman said to us, "I'm tired of people touching my hair without my permission."

That was when we found out it was common for strangers to touch black women's hair without permission. I didn't believe her until I asked black friends. All said it happened to them as well. A lot more common when they were kids. Awful, really.

And I don't believe this happened either. [The supposed comment that is].
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More arty farty claptrap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    Blimey - who came up with this? :confused:

Hair being fascinating??????????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    And I don't believe this happened either. [The supposed comment that is].

Fine by me. She was obnoxious enough to touch her hair so in hindsight, it didn't come as a surprise that she would make such an obnoxious comment.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey - who came up with this? :confused:

Hair being fascinating??????????

It is. Just ask someone with long blonde hair who visits a remote central African village what the first thing the kids want to do is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I've got Samatha Fox singing touch me

i want to feel your body :D
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

In what country did this happen? It's not common for England.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    It is. Just ask someone with long blonde hair who visits a remote central African village what the first thing the kids want to do is.

Say Hi?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    In what country did this happen? It's not common for England.

London. On a No.73 bus roughly 24 years ago. It was my first and last time I saw something like that happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fine by me. She was obnoxious enough to touch her hair so in hindsight, it didn't come as a surprise that she would make such an obnoxious comment.

When I was young - many years ago sadly:cry: - I had long hair that naturally went into loose curls, and on a number on occasions "strange" women would ask, or sometimes not ask, before touching it

I was always at least mildly flattered, it's laughable to describe such interest as "obnoxious".