Options

Getting an eye test but not buying glasses

ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
Forum Member
✭✭
This is probably a stupid question, but can i go to - say - Specsavers and get an eye test but not buy glasses from them?

I'm in Scotland so eyetests are free, and I can just imagine they wouldn't be very happy about it?

I want to be able to get my prescription and get the glasses from one of the cheap online places, for I am as poor as a church mouse at the mo.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you can. They'll try and be funny. But it's your right to just ask for your prescription and leave
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question, but can i go to - say - Specsavers and get an eye test but not buy glasses from them?

I'm in Scotland so eyetests are free, and I can just imagine they wouldn't be very happy about it?

I want to be able to get my prescription and get the glasses from one of the cheap online places, for I am as poor as a church mouse at the mo.

They may be free to you, but that doesn't mean that the optician does them for nothing. They'll claim a fee from the authorities.

I always ask for a copy of my prescription "for my records" which gives sufficient reason to save any embarrassment when asking. It's actually true as I keep a spreadsheet of the changes over the years.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just book as late an appointment as you can.Then when they've given you your prescription they won't have much time for the hard sell|(and they will).
    I use Vision Express.They are ok.I told them i'd 'be in touch'.
    They've got their fee,that's the main thing.:)
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup...walk out and go on-line.

In a way I feel slightly sorry for the opticians, and then I punch myself and remember they've been ripping us off for years in selling us shaped plastic for over a ton.

Maybe the NHS should provide a DIY home eye test!!
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    What if your eye test says you don't need glasses? They aren't going to force you to buy any ;-) :-D
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to ask for your Pupilary Distance (PD) from the optician.

It's extra information that isn't legally required to be on the prescription, so they don't usually put it on there.

You'll need your PD measurement if you order glasses online.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Don't forget to ask for your Pupilary Distance (PD) from the optician.

It's extra information that isn't legally required to be on the prescription, so they don't usually put it on there.

You'll need your PD measurement if you order glasses online.

You can measure this at home if you have someone else to do it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did this once. Had an eyetest and then when the optician handed me over to the sales person I said I wasn't going to buy any glasses and could I please just have my prescrition. They didn't give me any hassle or say anything.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I know someone who had a free eyetest at an opticians and took the prescription away.

He then went out and bought two pairs of cheap reading glasses of different strengths and swapped one of the lenses over from one pair to the other to match the requirements of the prescription.

OK, so he ended up with one pair of glasses which were completely useless, but the other pair were as his own prescription. Still much cheaper than buying glasses from an optician.

Win, win, I think :D
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    They wont give you the PD number. They know people will buy them else where, so most opticians never give this value.

What I don't understand is if its legal requirement to give the customer their prescription why are they allowed to leave out the PD ?
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We pay for our eye tests here but I went for one and didn't buy any glasses.

I went as I'd been having migraines, told them that in advance I only wanted eye test!

As my prescription hadn't changed I didn't get the hard sell.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pericom wrote: »
    They wont give you the PD number. They know people will buy them else where, so most opticians never give this value.

What I don't understand is if its legal requirement to give the customer their prescription why are they allowed to leave out the PD ?
    They are indeed legally required to give you your prescription.

However a UK prescription is not legally required to include the PD measurement. A prescription that doesn't show the PD measurement is therefore completely legal and as such they are meeting their legal obligations in handing it to you.

Including the PD on the prescription would be doing more than the law required. They can do so if they want, or they can refuse, or they can charge a fee for doing so. All options are perfectly acceptable and legal.
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    You can measure this at home if you have someone else to do it.

Or, indeed, a ruler and a mirror. Plus the ability to read numbers backwards!
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    I know someone who had a free eyetest at an opticians and took the prescription away.

He then went out and bought two pairs of cheap reading glasses of different strengths and swapped one of the lenses over from one pair to the other to match the requirements of the prescription.

OK, so he ended up with one pair of glasses which were completely useless, but the other pair were as his own prescription. Still much cheaper than buying glasses from an optician.

Win, win, I think :D

That would only work for the minority of people who are long-sighted. Off the shelf reading glasses are usually small positive values of correction to adjust normally sighted eyes for close vision. Short-sighted people need negative correction. Those lenses are also only simple ones so won't correct for any astigmatism.
  • Options
    AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just say
    " I wouldn't dare buy glasses unless my wife/husband/partner is here to see them,so I will just take the prescription for now please "