New BBC HD Channels

arrasarras Posts: 407
Forum Member
Just to clarify, I heard that the BBC HD channels that are due to launch in 2014, are rumoured to be coming in December.
Could someone shed some light on this for me please.

Comments

• pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC 3 HD and CBBC HD are launching on 10th December on Freeview, Freesat, Sky and Virgin Media.

BBC 4 HD, CBeebies HD and BBC NEWS HD will be launching early 2014.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not much use for the final series of Borgen starting Saturday.

One of the best shows on TV relegated to SD thanks to the BBCs policy over dropping BBC HD before they were able to launch BBC 3 and 4 HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    So with tham new BBC-HD Channels about to launch soon
    will the cost of the tv licence go up.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    So with tham new BBC-HD Channels about to launch soon
    will the cost of the tv licence go up.

Not for a few years as the TV Licence has been frozen for another 2 years at least by this coalition Goverment.
    Ian.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Of course BBC 3 HD may start up earlier than the 10th Dec (Well any time after Dr Who on the 23rd Nov) but whether it will be manually tuneable on a Sky box is another thing.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course BBC 3 HD may start up earlier than the 10th Dec (Well any time after Dr Who on the 23rd Nov) but whether it will be manually tuneable on a Sky box is another thing.

It won't be.
  • suziequesuzieque Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    This news means I could well start viewing these as at the moment I do not because they are sd.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suzieque wrote: »
    This news means I could well start viewing these as at the moment I do not because they are sd.

There are plenty of good programs on BBC3 or BBC4, don't understand why people HAVE to have them in HD to enjoy them, sounds a bit like Mrs Bucket and Keeping Up Appearances to me!!
  • disremberdisrember Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    BBC 3 HD and CBBC HD are launching on 10th December on Freeview, Freesat, Sky and Virgin Media.

BBC 4 HD, CBeebies HD and BBC NEWS HD will be launching early 2014.

Its possible that these may launch earlier on "trail" basis, but no one knows
  • DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of good programs on BBC3 or BBC4, don't understand why people HAVE to have them in HD to enjoy them, sounds a bit like Mrs Bucket and Keeping Up Appearances to me!!

Yeah agree, as there are on all sd channels. HD yeah is a much clearer sharper picture, but sd is still very much watchable
    and does not cost extra. When i was cutting costs, i took my HD off saving me some money. Yeah i lost sky 3d but then again i do not miss it.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    No. A lot of people - me included - aren't that bothered with watching a lot of tv, but if we are going to watch a prog it's nice to see it in the best quality. If it's something I'd like to see and it's only in SD no problem, but if it's just a time filler then probably not. Conversely tho I'll happily leave on a prog that only vaguely concerns me as wallpaper and half watch it, if it's in HD.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are used to HD now (well, some of us are) so it's disappointing if a good programme made in hd isn't shown in hd. Obviously, we'll watch it in sd rather than not watch it at all, but it is disappointing.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    No. A lot of people - me included - aren't that bothered with watching a lot of tv, but if we are going to watch a prog it's nice to see it in the best quality. If it's something I'd like to see and it's only in SD no problem, but if it's just a time filler then probably not. Conversely tho I'll happily leave on a prog that only vaguely concerns me as wallpaper and half watch it, if it's in HD.

My post was in response to someone who clearly says they would not watch the channel as it was only SD.
    suzieque wrote: »
  • jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    It will be good to see Victoria Coren in all her glory when we get HD.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched any 3 or 4 programs since the demise of BBC HD.

Once they are "up" no doubt everything I have missed will be repeated in HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    jeffkey1 wrote: »

I wholeheartedly agree with this - any time I can see in Victoria in HD is fine by me... ;)
  • Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For all lovers of Victoria Coren like me, oh, and of course her delightful husband David Mitchell
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe she goes by Victoria Coren Mitchell now actually. :p
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    jeffkey1 wrote: »
    will1971 wrote: »
    I wholeheartedly agree with this - any time I can see in Victoria in HD is fine by me... ;)
    Only Connect is moving to BBC2 so BBC4HD wouldn't make a difference.
  • jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    For all lovers of Victoria Coren like me, oh, and of course her delightful husband David Mitchell

:-)!!!!!
  • Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I believe she goes by Victoria Coren Mitchell now actually. :p

Yes she does but she is still our very own V.C.
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah agree, as there are on all sd channels. HD yeah is a much clearer sharper picture, but sd is still very much watchable
    and does not cost extra. When i was cutting costs, i took my HD off saving me some money. Yeah i lost sky 3d but then again i do not miss it.
    Even if you cancel a Sky HD subscription, the BBC HD channels will still be viewable regardless, due to their FTA status. :)
  • horace_Tort1horace_Tort1 Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    THOMO wrote: »
    Not for a few years as the TV Licence has been frozen for another 2 years at least by this coalition Goverment.
    Ian.

2016 is the next time
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    2016 is the next time

I would have been willing to pay for a rise in the TV License each year instead of it been frozen for a number of years and I do have Sky as well.
    Ian.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I would have been willing to pay for a rise in the TV License each year instead of it been frozen for a number of years and I do have Sky as well.
    Ian.

Yea but you aren't the Tory leader with an agenda, giving the BBC a cut in their funding in real terms though.
    Amount they received frozen + having to fund World Service and S4C = cut in funding for BBC programming.