Options

book club

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I'd reccomend the Book Depositary as well that's where i got my copy.
    quick delivery also
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If people are having trouble getting it we can always delay it for a month or two and choose somethng else at moment, promise i won't go in huff...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnhy wrote:
    If people are having trouble getting it we can always delay it for a month or two and choose somethng else at moment, promise i won't go in huff...
    :) It's so nice speaking to such nice people :) How about some people come up with some other ideas for books and when everyone can get a copy of the book we can do that... what does everyone think??? also thanks AutumGal, I am going to try either Borders or Waterstones to see if I can see the book...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ollie, I can only speak for myself, but I don't mind at all if we have to choose another book. And I won't start sulking either :)

I was a bit overly pushy about this one (sorry for that) because it sounded good and I thought that if we didn't choose something soon the whole impetus for this book club would disappear. I'm very impatient by nature - it's a bad fault of mine. But really, it doesn't bother me either. I'll probably still read it when it comes any way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, we could choose something else first, and read it as the second book if it is more easily available by that point.

Anyone else got a suggestion? or shall we choose from the original list
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As this is a great help to me, thankz very much by the way! I don't mind, the books from the original list were-
    The Oyster House Seige - Jay Rayner
    The Book of Fate - Brad Melzer
    Bad Luck and Trouble - Lee Child
    Labyrinth- Katie Mosses
    What Was Lost - Catherine O'Flynn
    The Secret Supper
    Flags of Our Fathers
    Vulcan 607

Now I know people were not to interested in Labyrinth from posts earlier in the thread and What Was Lost we will get round to, so there is the list or are there other suggestions?
  • Options
    LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From a quick look at Amazon maybe The Book Of Fate would get my vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As seen in the cover of The Book of Fate for anyone interested -

"In six minutes, one of us would be dead. None of us knew it was coming ..." So says Wes Holloway, a once-cocky and ambitious presidential aide, about the day that changed his life forever. On that Fourth of July, Wes put Ron Boyle, the chief executive's oldest friend, into the presidential limousine. By the time the trip came to an end, Wes was permanently disfigured, and Boyle was dead, the victim of a crazed assassin. Eight years later, Boyle is spotted, alive and well, in Malaysia. In that moment, Wes has the chance to undo the worst day of his life. Trying to figure out what really happened takes Wes back to a decade-old presidential crossword puzzle, mysterious facts buried in Masonic history, and a two-hundred-year-old code invented by Thomas Jefferson. But what Wes doesn't realize is that The Book of Fate holds everyone's secrets. Especially the ones worth dying for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vote goes to The Secret Supper
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those interested in The Secret Supper by Javier Sierra -
    Milan, 1497: Leonardo is completing The Last Supper. Pope Alexander VI is determined to execute him after realizing that the painting contains clues to a baffling -- and blasphemous -- message that he is driven to decode. The Holy Grail and the Eucharistic Bread are missing, there is no meat on the table, and the apostles, shockingly, are portraits of well-known heretics -- and none of them are depicted with halos. And why has the artist painted himself into the scene with his back turned toward Jesus? The clues to Leonardo's greatest puzzle are right before your eyes....

I must admit that looks quite interesting... Am I taking it that most/everyone here has read The Da Vinci Code???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since we don't seem to be getting very far, I'd like to add a few books to the list. If anyone else has a book they'd like to suggest, feel free to do so.

The Children of Men - PD James
    An Unquiet Mind - Kay Redfield Jamison
    Dead Famous - Ben Elton
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We now have a list of 9 books...

The Oyster House Seige - Jay Rayner
    The Book of Fate - Brad Melzer
    Bad Luck and Trouble - Lee Child
    The Secret Supper
    Flags of Our Fathers
    Vulcan 607
    The Children of Men - PD James
    An Unquiet Mind - Kay Redfield Jamison
    Dead Famous - Ben Elton

Prehaps we start a vote now???
    For me either The Book of Fate, Oyster House Seige or Secret Supper
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well i'll stick with Book Of Fate then.
    We should give it until weekend maybe then book with most votes wins
    anyone agree?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um...is anyone still up for this ?
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm intereted too!
    Just let me know what's been chosen as I don't mind what I read (excpet a big NO for Labyrinth!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I didn't initially fancy any of the books but couldn't come up with any alternatives. So I was just going to quietly wait til everyone had finished reading the chosen book and join in the next one. However since it hasn't got off the ground my chosen book would be:

An Unquiet Mind or The Oyster House Seige.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the little I know of "normal" book groups (as opposed to virtual ones!), members take it in turns to nominate a book for the month, rather than voting on a favourite. Is that worth considering? We'd just need committed names and to designate a month for each person.

Some general rules about it being easy to get, and not too pricy would also help! I couldn't find a copy of the one suuggested at a reasonable price so just dropped out of discussions (yes, I'm a quitter :D)

Might help to get a name check of who's still interested at this point?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    im still interested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. I'm not so keen on choosing books but I'm happy to go along with what everyone else chooses.
  • Options
    mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count Me in :D

ML x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    I'm definitely interested in joining but how is it going to work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is taking way too long. Since we can't resolve this the democratic way can someone just pick a book out of the 9 listed in post 64 - preferably not Dead Famous because I read it recently and don't really want to read it again but if I have to I will.

Couldn't the next person to post just post the name of one of the books - and that's the one we go for? At least that way we have a title and people can opt in or out. At the moment we're going round in circles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump above--- The Secret Supper???!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ollie3 wrote: »
    Bump above--- The Secret Supper???!!!

*Bows down and kisses Ollie3's feet*

Thank God.

Can we just now have that as the chosen book ? I'm up for it. I'm beyond caring what we read now as long as we read something and get the show on the road.