'No RC' sign on First buses

2»

Comments

• xpletivexpletive Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't First owned by Brian Souter? He's a bit of an Evangelical nutter isn't he (pro-clause 28 etc)? I think he supports Rangers too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I saw the title of this post I actually thought to myself "no Roman Catholics" :eek:

But as someone else said, I'm Roman Catholic! So it occured to me. But it's not in the slightest bit offensive to me, why would it be, some people just look for ways to be offended!
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    'Roman Catholics' did jump into my mind as soon as I saw the thread title.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    'Roman Catholics' did jump into my mind as soon as I saw the thread title.

But if you were waiting at a bus stop, and saw a bus approaching which, instead of saying 'No. 23 - Newtown', said 'No RC', would you automatically think it meant that no Roman Catholics were permitted to travel on that bus?
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Of course London buses don't want anything to do with Roman Catholics or any other religions for that matter.

Likewise, I'm amazed they allow females or males to get on on their buses.

After all, they are only there as a business and need to make a profit.

:rolleyes:
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    My mother was a Roman Catholic so a capitalised 'RC' means that to me. It's a shorthand used on application forms, the census, driver's licence and passports.

This doesn't mean to say I'd think the bus driver was barring Roman Catholics though. I can only imagine that's happened following the recent publicity given to the Humanists' "there's probably no God" banner advertising on buses.

In conjunction with 'No' I'd probably think it displayed a misspelt slang word for a woman's breast. A pair might arrive all at once. I'd never imagine RC stood for remote control, not in the context of a bus.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleepydove wrote: »
    Or should First bus change the error message so that they don't offend any more people?

That's RC gone mad!
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lilitu wrote: »
    Why would somebody automatically assume that 'No RC' on the display in a bus was in reference to a religious denomination?

Well if it said CofE I'd have thought the same.
  • A CillayA Cillay Posts: 8,215
    Forum Member
    I would recognise it as Roman Catholic thats not to say I'd necessarily be offended by it.
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    That's even nuttier than the usual nuttiness that comes from religious nutters.
    And that's saying something! :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Given its First you should be grateful the bus has turned up & its a modern bus. Given some of the museum pieces they've wheeled out you should be grateful the route display is not lit by gas.

Dont First Glasgow do what they do in Manchester, when the displays not working , ie get on the PC & print off some large numbers onto A4 paper & stick them on the front & sides?

Who runs First Glasgow? The Marx Bros?

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lilitu wrote: »
    But if you were waiting at a bus stop, and saw a bus approaching which, instead of saying 'No. 23 - Newtown', said 'No RC', would you automatically think it meant that no Roman Catholics were permitted to travel on that bus?

No, no, it's not the panel on the front of the bus that I was referring to.

It's like that but smaller in size and is found on the inside of the bus, a few feet behind where the driver sits, facing so that the seated passengers can see it, and it says things like "Next stop Argyle Street" or whatever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blofeld wrote: »
    If these things are run by satellite/radio it would explain thier accuracy most of the time, however a few times on the Scotrail trains I've heard it getting stuck on saying "The Next Stop is Edinburgh Park" even if the train isn't stopping there, has stopped there already or is standing at Edinburgh Park.

Probably something went wrong with the signal so it got stuck.