Options

01606 45834 calls

I've been receiving calls from this number for a few days now. Even though I'm with the TPS. The power of the internet lead me to this site.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/0160645834

I've registered withe SilentCall-Gard as suggested on page 7 of that forum but I'm also going to give the TPS a swift email to see why these companies can do this when you've registered for no calls.

Hope this info helps anyone else getting these calls....:(

Edit to update: Right well the TPS online complaint form is a non starter. It asks you for the company email and you can't get any further than that if you don't provide one. How stooopid.

I'll happily ignore these phone calls now. I've got into the habit of not answering the phone between 6 and 8pm but when I did 1471 when I got back from work they'd phoned me at 2pm today.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    freckle59 wrote: »
    I've been receiving calls from this number for a few days now. Even though I'm with the TPS. The power of the internet lead me to this site.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/0160645834

I've registered withe SilentCall-Gard as suggested on page 7 of that forum but I'm also going to give the TPS a swift email to see why these companies can do this when you've registered for no calls.
    Not TPS's fault if someone chooses to ignore the rules. Though they may try and fob you off with some BS about how you have agreed to receive marketing/sales calls from them which is an attempt to bypass the TPS rules.

TPS won't block everything. It won't block calls from companies you have done business with already. It won't block calls from overseas (though if they are working on behalf of a UK company they should use the TPS filters)

There are also Ofcom rules about this type of call which they also appear to be breaking looking at some of the posts on the link you've provided.
    freckle59 wrote: »
    Edit to update: Right well the TPS online complaint form is a non starter. It asks you for the company email and you can't get any further than that if you don't provide one. How stooopid.
    You don't need to give them a real e-mail address, just one that looks valid. For example just enter...

notknown@nowhere.com

That passes the validation test and lets you proceed.
  • Options
    freckle59freckle59 Posts: 42,993
    Forum Member
    Thanks Chris.

I sent TPS an email last evening to ask why on their webpage it directs you to log the calls on the complaint page so that they can see whats going on and then once you get to their complaint page is specifically tells you not to. :confused:

I know TPS don't have the legal teeth to fight every battle, and I'm very impressed with them generally. I have very few calls and the ones I do have tend to be the ones with a time delay so I can hang up before they even speak. I'd recommend TPS to anyone, my issue isn't with them.

I might refer to the calls to Ofcom if you think they're breaking some rules. I'll seek out their webpage later.

Thanks for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a read of this...

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/mofaq/telecoms/silentfaqs/

Specifically section 6 which outlines the rules these companies have to abide by. Looking at the posts on that link you provided it does seem as if this company are not providing the recorded message identifying themselves that they are supossed to and your own post implies that they are not abiding by the requirement to use a live operator to make a repeat call within 72 hours.
  • Options
    freckle59freckle59 Posts: 42,993
    Forum Member
    Thanks again Chris. I have registered a complaint with Ofcom and got this response.

Thank you

Please note: We do not investigate individual consumer complaints. However, we record and monitor complaint levels. If we identify an area of concern we may raise the matter with the management of the company directly.

The information you have provided will be used for monitoring purposes. We will not respond to you about your individual complaint.

Your information will be passed to the relevant Ofcom team.

Hopefully they will "identify an area of concern" and contact these people. I've had another two today. One at 12 and then, just as I put the phone down from checking 1471, it rang again and lo and behold, my new friends again!! Thank goodness I found that website so I know not to worry!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having been pestered by a Northwich area number before, I did some Googling. Think this is the same outfit.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01606595892/11

You can read stuff from their tele ops there which will explain a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if the local Trading Standards would be interested? A few complaints to them might stir something up?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    well if you can choose a different tone for a number in the phonebook, set 'ringer melody volume' = zero...

eg my experiment here... :)