Options

Have you done the Ice Bucket Challenge?

Comments

• Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    I'd be more impressed with the charitable intentions if people gave blood instead.
    Well there was that bath scene in Hostel 2 but I'm not sure how many charities would be entirely comfortable with re-enactments of it!

Or were you not meaning with buckets?
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    On Facebook? No. I barely use Facebook.

On Digital Spy? I would say absolutely.

I looked back over the thread and I don't see where you've been bullied.

Posters are going to question generalizations like "doing it because everyone else is doing it."

When I got interested I only knew of a few celebrities who had done it. My interest had nothing to do with numbers.

People can just as easily see a video and think, fun and for such a good cause, why not?
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my Facebook 'friends' just called anyone who was either against doing the Ice bucket Challenge or complaining that donations may not be going to MND but to McMillan (a charity he supports) a bunch of 'cretins' amongst other lovely names.

It seems amazing that something (charitable giving) that should be a personal thing and a matter of concience can become something to use as a direct attack on their so called 'friends':(

Isn't charity about kindness and generosity? Not about having a go at anyone who doesn't share either your charitable causes or methods of donating. We are allowed to have a difference of opinion whether on the charity or the method.

While it isn't my thing, I would never have a pop at someone for joining in the challenge. And while I wouldn't donate to McMillan, I would never dream of critisising anyone who did as I wouldn't expect to be critisised for my charity choices.

I was so taken aback that I unfriended him. Will probably see him in the pub at some point in the next few weeks. Sorely tempted to tip a bucket of Iced water over his head them donate to The Lovely Kittens charity or something just to spite him. But I won't.

Quite Cross :(>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my Facebook 'friends' just called anyone who was either against doing the Ice bucket Challenge or complaining that donations may not be going to MND but to McMillan (a charity he supports) a bunch of 'cretins' amongst other lovely names.

It seems amazing that something (charitable giving) that should be a personal thing and a matter of concience can become something to use as a direct attack on their so called 'friends':(

Isn't charity about kindness and generosity? Not about having a go at anyone who doesn't share either your charitable causes or methods of donating. We are allowed to have a difference of opinion whether on the charity or the method.

While it isn't my thing, I would never have a pop at someone for joining in the challenge. And while I wouldn't donate to McMillan, I would never dream of critisising anyone who did as I wouldn't expect to be critisised for my charity choices.

I was so taken aback that I unfriended him. Will probably see him in the pub at some point in the next few weeks. Sorely tempted to tip a bucket of Iced water over his head them donate to The Lovely Kittens charity or something just to spite him. But I won't.

Quite Cross :(>:(

Yep you probably had the wrong friend. As I said, someone in my family declined to be nominated and none of his many FB friends said anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Yep you probably had the wrong friend. As I said, someone in my family declined to be nominated and none of his many FB friends said anything.

He's someone I've known a good ten or more years. Usually a pretty decent person.

I'm not sure whether it's Facebook or the Ice Challenge that seems to be bringing out the worst in him. But I'm not impressed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's someone I've known a good ten or more years. Usually a pretty decent person.

I'm not sure whether it's Facebook or the Ice Challenge that seems to be bringing out the worst in him. But I'm not impressed.

I don't think you can blame the ice bucket challenge for things that people do that are out of line.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been nominated, but won't do it till the weekend as the weather is much warmer in Spain.
  • Options
    urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member

I'd have went mental at him. You should have said something like. "You know thousands of people give to charities every month out of their wages, but don't look for any congratulations, well dones or pats on the back. What this "challenge"(haha, hardly a challenge) is, is a self-congratulatory smugathon for people who generally give **** all to charity. Don't ever try to suggest you are better than anyone for making a pishy one-off donation. I challenge you to set-up a monthly D/D to a charity of your choice, then shut the **** up about it. As many of us actually do."
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been nominated, but won't do it till the weekend as the weather is much warmer in Spain.

It's quite warm where I live, so if you wanted to, you could pop over and let me ice bucket you! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have went mental at him. You should have said something like. "You know thousands of people give to charities every month out of their wages, but don't look for any congratulations, well dones or pats on the back. What this "challenge"(haha, hardly a challenge) is, is a self-congratulatory smugathon for people who generally give **** all to charity. Don't ever try to suggest you are better than anyone for making a pishy one-off donation. I challenge you to set-up a monthly D/D to a charity of your choice, then shut the **** up about it. As many of us actually do."

It's not either/or though.

I'm sure many participants, including celebrities, in the challenge also give privately.
  • Options
    urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »
    It's not either/or though.

I'm sure many participants, including celebrities, in the challenge also give privately.

I know that, but Ive got a sneaky suspicion they wont be the ones calling other people cretins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrstim wrote: »
    Yes, did it tonight after my daughter nominated me.
    I think the whole village heared me, I screamed before it even came near me :) but hey it's for a good cause.

`You Big Girls Blouse You`
    :p
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earlier this week almost all of my Facebook newsfeed was taken over by videos of people doing the challenge. No-one has nominated me and I doubt they would. Even if by some fluke they did, I would not do it. I donate to charity monthly anyway.

Fair enough if people enjoy doing things like this and it's good for the charities but it's just not for me.
  • Options
    merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no sheep either, so won't be doing it. I do give to charity but I like to donate where I decide not have others dictating.
    It reminds me of the old fashioned chain letter from years ago, which tried to scare you into carrying it on. I was the one willing to bin them to stop the nonsense.
    Similar things go around FB and email all the time. I have no problem ignoring them either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that, but Ive got a sneaky suspicion they wont be the ones calling other people cretins.

To be fair the chap in question does give monthly to McMillan.

He hasn't actually done the challenge though - just called those that complained about the McMillan hijack or spoke out against the challenge Cretins.

I'm kind of kicking myself now that I didn't nominate him lol.

(I've calmed down a bit now :D )
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No because I'm not a sheep

My attitude also. Stupid fad. Anyway, I would want payment for getting wet & freezing cold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    My attitude also. Stupid fad. Anyway, I would want payment for getting wet & freezing cold.

Have you been nominated yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you been nominated yet?

Nope!
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member

I go on a glacier lake swimming holiday most years so the I like the cold and wet.

I don't actually own a bucket.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't buy the "cold and wet", it's actually quite invigorating once you get over the initial shock.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's odd is that people seem to be treating being nominated, as if they are legally binding.

Coming on here or on facebook excited declaring "I've been nominated" when all that has happened is that one of your mates has listed your name. It's not like you've been picked out of a hat randomly to win the lottery!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    merlinsmum wrote: »
    I'm no sheep either, so won't be doing it. I do give to charity but I like to donate where I decide not have others dictating.
    It reminds me of the old fashioned chain letter from years ago, which tried to scare you into carrying it on. I was the one willing to bin them to stop the nonsense.
    Similar things go around FB and email all the time. I have no problem ignoring them either.

I'm confused as to what being a sheep has to do with it.

Are you implying that most people can't look at a video and decide if it's a good idea and if the cause is one they want to support or not?

I am capable of doing that and so are the people I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I nominate....

Jason Watkins
    Victoria Sponge
    Safi74
    JRA
    Andy2

24hrs folks.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I nominate....

Jason Watkins
    Victoria Sponge
    Safi74
    JRA
    Andy2

24hrs folks.....

Sorry, like I said, I don't join in with childish fads. I will be taking a warm shower later though....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, like I said, I don't join in with childish fads. I will be taking a warm shower later though....

That's okay. Film your shower, post it on here and make a donation :)