TSB Job App- Made an error?!? :/

c grahamc graham Posts: 2,094
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Help!

I was just filling out a job application for TSB and made an error -

"Have you been made redundant in past 2 years?" - Clicked on Yes rather than No!

Then immediately didn't meet requirements and declined. Didnt even realise Id done it until then as I have previously applied for the role and got through! Nightmare!

I've emailed the careers department but does anyone know if they'll help or even respond to me over the weekend? :/

Panic :cry:

Comments

• cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    c graham wrote: »
    Help!

"Have you been made redundant in past 2 years?" - Clicked on Yes rather than No!

Then immediately didn't meet requirements and declined. Didnt even realise Id done it until then as I have previously applied for the role and got through! Nightmare!

I've emailed the careers department but does anyone know if they'll help or even respond to me over the weekend? :/

It's unlikely anyone will be there checking those sort of things at weekends, But there is always hope
  • a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Help!

Sorry I don't quite get it.

1) why would a job application form or any application form bar anyone
    from a position purly on the basis you you've been made redundant?
  • a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a_c_g_t wrote: »
    Sorry I don't quite get it.

1) why would a job application form or any application form bar anyone
    from a position purly on the basis you you've been made redundant?

Thinking about it, it may be more like previous applicants need not apply, not the fact that you was made redundant that your application was refused.

maybe.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Help!

you might not meet the requirements due to something completely unrelated. howeve a job in a bank usually requires accuracy for obvious reasons, so straight off the bat making a simple mistake on an application for the job shows you don't take very good care of data input, so getting in touch with them to make them aware is just highlighting this point. if i had a lot of applications for a job and someone made such an error i wouldn't consider them for an interview
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    you might not meet the requirements due to something completely unrelated. howeve a job in a bank usually requires accuracy for obvious reasons, so straight off the bat making a simple mistake on an application for the job shows you don't take very good care of data input, so getting in touch with them to make them aware is just highlighting this point. if i had a lot of applications for a job and someone made such an error i wouldn't consider them for an interview

That's a bit harsh, considering they spotted the error and are trying to rectify the problem, better to have somebody who can spot a mistake and try and sort out the mess straight away, rather than somebody who doesn't spot an error and cause complications further down the line.
  • elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh, considering they spotted the error and are trying to rectify the problem, better to have somebody who can spot a mistake and try and sort out the mess straight away, rather than somebody who doesn't spot an error and cause complications further down the line.

Dearmrman has made a very good point-at least you have spotted and admitted the mistake-after all we all make them. I'm not sure if you will get anywhere but you have nothing to lose by trying. It doesn't seem right though that they turn someone down because they have been made redundant so there could be another reason.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    elle77 wrote: »
    Dearmrman has made a very good point-at least you have spotted and admitted the mistake-after all we all make them. I'm not sure if you will get anywhere but you have nothing to lose by trying. It doesn't seem right though that they turn someone down because they have been made redundant so there could be another reason.

Unless the question meant made redundant by the same company they are applying for. Just a guess though of course
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    Unless the question meant made redundant by the same company they are applying for.

This is almost certainly what they are asking - being made redundant by another employer shouldn't result in automatic rejection.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    Twaddle.
  • elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    Unless the question meant made redundant by the same company they are applying for. Just a guess though of course

I may have misunderstood that question and if that is the case it makes sense
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »

i don't work for a bank, but if i ran a bank i'd want someone who checked properly and didn't make a mistake in the first place, rather than spot it afterwards. and the same applies in most jobs, and i imagine most employers would wish the same in wanting people to be careful in avoiding mistakes, especially for important things. the last thing you would want in a bank is someone making mistakes in data entry

applying for a job is one of the most important things you can do, so getting that right is very important. if you do screw up it's better to say nothing as it might go unnoticed. in this case, it's likely the error played no part in the application being rejected. if someone came to me saying the application was rejected because they made a mistake and they didn't mean to tick that specific box, i would be concerned that either the person is lying to get the job, or they aren't careful enough in simple data entry to be worth interviewing for a position in a bank
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »
    This is almost certainly what they are asking - being made redundant by another employer shouldn't result in automatic rejection.

That's most likely.

Lloyds Banking Group have a policy of not re-employing someone for at least 2 years following redundancy. TSB is likely to still be working to these policies following their float.
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be the application was in relation to being made redundant from TSB in the last two years then you wouldn't be able to apply for a job in the same employment.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xbling wrote: »
    Could be the application was in relation to being made redundant from TSB in the last two years then you wouldn't be able to apply for a job in the same employment.

TSB hasn't been around for 2 years.
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    TSB hasn't been around for 2 years.

The group then.
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twaddle.

Not really.

They must get many, many applicants. If one of them cant fill a form in correctly, why would they bother continuing the procees with them? when there are hundreds of people who do fill the form in correctly?