Cancelled /Renew Shows & Pick-ups

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say that could be said of the 2nd season of Agents Of SHIELD or maybe you were one of the people who gave up on it after the 1st season?

I see your point about Hannibal being co funded however I think also the fact that Constantine is a DC product will effect NBC decision as well.As even if NBC dropped it I wouldn't be suprised to see it being picked up by another network,Netflix or Amazon
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant in the sense that it was trying to juggle being funny and serious in equal measure, the kind of tone Doctor Who is good at, but MAoS struggled with...

I can see why that was trying to be done though, as Joss did the mix of serious and comedy successfully well in Angel, buffy and Firefly.

I think the lack of involvement from Joss is why I think the show isn't that great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that could be said of the 2nd season of Agents Of SHIELD or maybe you were one of the people who gave up on it after the 1st season?

No, what I said if you read my comments all the through was that I thought the show had issues whilst it was trying to do that, but from "Beginning of the End" and beyond it improved significantly, but unfortunately 16 episodes in is a little too late for most of the audience...
    Forum Member
    I see your point about Hannibal being co funded however I think also the fact that Constantine is a DC product will effect NBC decision as well.As even if NBC dropped it I wouldn't be suprised to see it being picked up by another network,Netflix or Amazon

Why would NBC care about it being DC? DC have basically said it intends to sideline it's TV projects in a few years and then maybe introduce them to the cinematic universe as a parallel world later on...
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member

It may well do, but perhaps not in the way you think. DC Comics is a Warner Bros Entertainment property, and Constantine the TV series is a Warner Bros Television / DC Entertainment property, which means the show is not owned by NBC Universal and therefore the NBC network pay Warners for the production costs in return for a license to screen it. Should it ever reach the 'magic 88' (4 full seasons) number of episodes to make it attractive as a syndication package to non-network stations and secondary cable markets, that extra revenue would go to Warners/DC, not NBC/NBCU.

Therefore the network NBC needs to ask itself does Constantine deliver a high enough quality rating demographic for them to maximise their advertising revenue now and next year (this seasons ratings share being used to set next seasons advertising rates)? A network might keep an average-performing show that it owns outright alive so that it can make syndication revenue off the back end 4 seasons later, but they're much less likely to do it with something they don't own the rights to just so Warner Bros can profit down the road.
    Forum Member
    When I said about the fact Constantine was a DC property would influence NBC decision I meant in the fact that it already has a loyal fan base that it could rely on as seen by the reaction online to the news that NBC might cancel Constantine!

theonlyweeman as far as I'm aware DC have said nothing about sidelining their TV shows in the future but they have hinted at the idea of multiple universes
    Forum Member
    When I said about the fact Constantine was a DC property would influence NBC decision I meant in the fact that it already has a loyal fan base that it could rely on as seen by the reaction online to the news that NBC might cancel Constantine!

theonlyweeman as far as I'm aware DC have said nothing about sidelining their TV shows in the future but they have hinted at the idea of multiple universes

It was implicit in the announcement they'd be casting an entirely new Green Arrow and Flash for the films and eventual Justice League announcement, that was accompanied by the suggestion of multiple universes. The films versions will get the attention and promo and the TV series will be sidelined...
    Forum Member
    That's incorrect as all DC have done is announce that they are making a Flash film and have cast the lead actor.There has been no mention about a Green Arrow film and nothing from DC about them sidelining the TV shows

I understand that maybe what you read into the announcement about the Flash film but nothing like that has been confirmed by DC apart from them hinting at multiple universes!
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All they have said is that the tv and movie universes are separate and treated as a multiverse, they have said nothing about sidelining the tv shows, unless you see sidelining as meaning something other than ending.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girls doesn't do poorly. It does averag-ish. It isn't hitting Game of thrones ratings but it's doing well. It's ratings are treble what Getting on, The Comeback, Looking and Enlightened all earn/earned.

In fairness, the rather wonderful Looking was never conceived as a massive ratings grabber.
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    All they have said is that the tv and movie universes are separate and treated as a multiverse, they have said nothing about sidelining the tv shows, unless you see sidelining as meaning something other than ending.

Maybe sidelining wasn't the right term, but if they have both a film Flash and TV Flash, obviously they're going to focus on the film Flash as there's more money at stake. Consequently the TV world gets neglected...
    Forum Member
    That is assuming that The Flash TV show is still airing when The Flash film is released in 2018 which is over 3 years away

I do find it a strange move by DC to release a Flash film when they already have a established TV show at that point.Especially as DC have not gone for an Arrow film which would make more sense as it's more likely that the Arrow TV would have ended by 2018

Im still hoping that DC have some master plan as at the moment it seems random and the fact that there is a Flash TV show could effect the success of the film!
  • Artie FischalArtie Fischal Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is assuming that The Flash TV show is still airing when The Flash film is released in 2018 which is over 3 years away

I do find it a strange move by DC to release a Flash film when they already have a established TV show at that point.Especially as DC have not gone for an Arrow film which would make more sense as it's more likely that the Arrow TV would have ended by 2018

Im still hoping that DC have some master plan as at the moment it seems random and the fact that there is a Flash TV show could effect the success of the film!

I predict Arrow will be a major guest part in the Flash movie.
    Forum Member
    The TV or new film version of Arrow?
    Forum Member

Assuming DC want it to reach syndication it will have to be on the air for 3 more years to reach 88 episodes...
    The TV or new film version of Arrow?

Given TV's Arrow is crossing over with TV's Flash this week in the US (and for portions of last season), it would have to be an entirely new Green Arrow to make any kind of sense...
    Forum Member
    Yeah that's what I assumed but I don't think you will see a new Green Arrow in the new Flash film

If the TV Flash is still airing when the Flash film is released then it would be on it's 4th season

Off topic it's a pity that no UK channel has picked up Agent Carter but maybe it will turn up on Netflix or Amazon at some point in the future!
    Forum Member
    Yeah that's what I assumed but I don't think you will see a new Green Arrow in the new Flash film

If the TV Flash is still airing when the Flash film is released then it would be on it's 4th season

Off topic it's a pity that no UK channel has picked up Agent Carter but maybe it will turn up on Netflix or Amazon at some point in the future!

The off topic bit is more on topic then the rest of the post... :D
    Forum Member
    Yeah very true as we have seem to taken this whole thread off topic
  • wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the look of iZombie on CW. Hopefully someone in UK picks that up, well hopefully it is good when they air it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe sidelining wasn't the right term, but if they have both a film Flash and TV Flash, obviously they're going to focus on the film Flash as there's more money at stake. Consequently the TV world gets neglected...

Different people will be working on the show and film so the show won't get neglected at all.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost Royal coming back for Season 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legends has been renewed for season 2.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am shocked. The ratings were dreadful. Yet they cancelled Perception, a show that got double what Legends got.
  • richparrrichparr Posts: 348
    Forum Member

Good news, I quite enjoyed Legends.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am shocked. The ratings were dreadful. Yet they cancelled Perception, a show that got double what Legends got.

I'm guessing this has something to do with TNT's re-imaging and wanting more 'edgy' dramas on their schedule. I think thats why the likes of Perception and Franklin and Bash weren't renewed this year.