Options

The 2015 Oscars Thread

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Inverted snobbery is no better than the ordinary kind imho.

I agree. But in his case I wonder if he would have got to where he on his own merits. He is a pretty dull actor. Not much going on behind the eyes. He is a really luvvy and plays the game really well.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. But in his case I wonder if he would have got to where he on his own merits. He is a pretty dull actor. Not much going on behind the eyes. He is a really luvvy and plays the game really well.

I think he is a pretty decent actor, I wasn't over keen on the theory of everything, but I think his performance is pretty terrific and does elevate it above the mundane. Actually for me this is a running theme in this years best actor nominees.

I especially liked his performance in My Week with Marilyn, theres a real sensitivity to his performance that gives his character depth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think he is a pretty decent actor, I wasn't over keen on the theory of everything, but I think his performance is pretty terrific and does elevate it above the mundane. Actually for me this is a running theme in this years best actor nominees.

I especially liked his performance in My Week with Marilyn, theres a real sensitivity to his performance that gives his character depth.

I find his performances quite mundane. There is a dullness in his eyes like he's not really registering what's being said to him. It feels like he's acting and not reacting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find his performances quite mundane. There is a dullness in his eyes like he's not really registering what's being said to him. It feels like he's acting and not reacting.

I suppose its a very subjective thing, but I don't really see what you here, and, presumably vise versa! ;-)

Of the nominees I marginally favour Cumberbath's performance, but I feel Redmayne and Keaton are only marginally behind him. Keaton's going to win the oscar however.

I'm not really that invested in this category, though, since I feel Jake Gyllenhaal's performane in Nighcrawler was head and shoulders over any of the actual nominees.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Redmayne. Brilliant in My week with marilyn and Les Miz. I knew he had a promising future and could be a future oscar nominee. His education and background is irelevant as far as i am aware of. He is a hard working actor who has worked his way up. Not a reality star who is famous for getting drunk, dating the latest blonde or spats with other celebrities. I hve more respect and time for him then the talentless people from TOWIE, Chelsea, Geordie Shore or Kardashians. If Eddie Redmayne's background has apparently helped him get his foot in the door, then how come it only took until 2011 at the age of 30 to rise to prominence. He had done many roles before including a tony award winning performance on broadway but 2011 was when he brokethrough. If he used his background to help him get his foot in the door, he would of easily had gotten the success, acclaim and notice at a much younger age.

I recall a lot of harsh comments about Sheridan Smith when she won her bafta, due to her education and background. People are so ignorant and nasty about someone's background.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose its a very subjective thing, but I don't really see what you here, and, presumably vise versa! ;-)

Of the nominees I marginally favour Cumberbath's performance, but I feel Redmayne and Keaton are only marginally behind him. Keaton's going to win the oscar however.

I'm not really that invested in this category, though, since I feel Jake Gyllenhaal's performane in Nighcrawler was head and shoulders over any of the actual nominees.

On Cumberbatches performance we can agree on. I felt he was more invested in the role and more award worthy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Cumberbatches performance we can agree on. I felt he was more invested in the role and more award worthy.

Yeah, it was a very commited performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was a very commited performance.

I've seen both Redmayne and Cumberbatch on stage. Redmaynes performance was very weak. I was astonished he won the Tony for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they are both good actors

But find the press and sherlock fans obsession with Benedict slightly unhealthy. I believe the latest thing is called CumBaby Watch or something. Why obsess and keep an eye over a man who is going to be a father soon? Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they are both good actors

But find the press and sherlock fans obsession with Benedict slightly unhealthy. I believe the latest thing is called CumBaby Watch or something. Why obsess and keep an eye over a man who is going to be a father soon? Ridiculous.

Yes it is rather creepy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is rather creepy.

Agreed. Theres been some controversy around fans attending and disrupting location filming of Sherlock. It's fairly telling that Doctor Who fans have been able to attend filming without causing any bother for years, but the Sherlock fans apparently can't. Martain Freeman recently expressed his disatisfaction about their behaviour in a Radio Times interview, which lead to the fans attacking the Radio Times on twitter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. Theres been some controversy around fans attending and disrupting location filming of Sherlock. It's fairly telling that Doctor Who fans have been able to attend filming without causing any bother for years, but the Sherlock fans apparently can't. Martain Freeman recently expressed his disatisfaction about their behaviour in a Radio Times interview, which lead to the fans attacking the Radio Times on twitter.

They shouted out inappropriately also when Cumberbatch appeared on stage in Frankenstein.
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Redmayne. Brilliant in My week with marilyn and Les Miz.

It's funny how tastes differ, but I really hated his portrayal of Marius in Les Mis, as I thought it extremely bland. Good singing voice, I will admit, but I have seen several actors playing the part on stage, so he just wasn't my vision of the character. Unfortunately, I can't see Redmayne in anything now without remembering this! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't tolerate Les Mis period. I don't think I made it past the hour mark. I really thought it was dreadful all around...:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't tolerate Les Mis period. I don't think I made it past the hour mark. I really thought it was dreadful all around...:blush:

Damn sight better than the recent into the woods musical

Les Mis has an intense historical dark story and they actually employed actors who were suitible for the part. I think Amanda Seyfried was woefully miscast though.

I wouldn't call it dreadful because the script, production, acting and directing were out of this world but it's a very intense musical so i can understand why some people didn't take to it. Why did you think it was dreadful?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Les Mis has an intense historical dark story and they actually employed actors who were suitible for the part. I think Amanda Seyfried was woefully miscast though.

I wouldn't call it dreadful because the script, production, acting and directing were out of this world but it's a very intense musical so i can understand why some people didn't take to it. Why did you think it was dreadful?

Felt very wooden and stiff to me, not at all natural. But I am not really a fan of musicals in general, so I'm not really the best person to ask.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Felt very wooden and stiff to me, not at all natural. But I am not really a fan of musicals in general, so I'm not really the best person to ask.

Fair enough

:)
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already feel like i know who the winners are going to be now. I don't expect there to be any major shocks, except possibly in one.

Film - Boyhood
    Director - Richard Linklater
    Actor - Michael Keaton BUT i think there could be an upset.
    Actress - Julianne Moore
    Supporting Actor - JK Simmons
    Supporting Actress - Patricia Arquette

Bar the Best Actor category, the rest in my eyes are guaranteed. It's all over as far as i'm concerned.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    Producers Guild Awards last night. Bird an took the top prize denting Boyhood's hopes at the Oscars since the PGAs have a very good track record of picking the eventual Oscar winner.

The Lego Movie took the animated award which simply makes its omission from the Oscars all the more bizarre.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member

I'm a big fan of Les Mis on the stage so I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed I was with the film version. I'd add Baron-Cohen, Bonham-Carter and Russell Crowe to the list of those miscast for a start, especially the latter. Employing somebody in a musical who genuinely can't sing is just stupid especially given that Javert has some massive numbers.

I also thought the directing was terrible. Hooper seemed to think that putting the cameras right into the faces of his actors for huge chunks of the film was a good idea, it wasn't. He also ruined the 'Master of the House' scene which lost a huge amount of its comedy and as such the film ended up with no light relief. And his misdirection of Jackman in the barricades scene with Marius destroyed what should have been a very moving moment.

It wasn't all terrible, Jackman just about managed to carry the film, Hathaway probably deserved her Oscar and the inclusion of Colm Wilkinson and Frances Rufelle were nice touches but I don't think it anywhere near captured the drama and emotion of its source.
  • Options
    Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand the criticism directed at Eddie Redmayne.

When you think about it, the posho's who went to Eton etc get Oscar noms (two this year, in fact) and loads of work like nobodies business. But if such a small part of society can produce two Oscar nominees in one year, surely less privileged areas of the UK could produce an abundance of recognition too. But it hasn't happened.

Just proves that talent means nothing unless you have the rich mummy and daddy to make it happen for you.
  • Options
    Sagand42Sagand42 Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    SAG winners:
    Ensemble: Birdman
    Actor - Eddie Redmayne
    Actress - Julianne Moore

This makes Redmayne the clear frontrunner for Actor now especially with a very likely BAFTA win to come. Boyhood losing PGA and SAG in two days to Birdman certainly puts a dent in its chances. It still feels like the frontrunner but it's now very important to win DGA and BAFTA.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sagand42 wrote: »
    SAG winners:
    Ensemble: Birdman
    Actor - Eddie Redmayne
    Actress - Julianne Moore

This makes Redmayne the clear frontrunner for Actor now especially with a very likely BAFTA win to come. Boyhood losing PGA and SAG in two days to Birdman certainly puts a dent in its chances. It still feels like the frontrunner but it's now very important to win DGA and BAFTA.

Eddie and Julianne are outstanding actors they deserve every award they get. I hope they both get oscars. Eddie will definitely get the BAFTA.
  • Options
    fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It means nada but I checked the current box office takings of Boyhood, Birdman, Theory of everything and the Imitation Game, probably the front runners for best picture. The one with the best box office? The Imitation Game over £100 million on £14 budget.
    It's been showing in my very average multiplex which is 3d/kids films obsessed and the Imitation Game has been showing since early November?? I spoke to the manager who told me he can't drop it because it's getting solid bookings still.
    I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was excellent the film though was not without weakness.
  • Options
    fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It means nada but, I checked the current box office takings of Boyhood, Birdman, Theory of everything and the Imitation Game, probably the front runners for best picture. The one with the best box office? The Imitation Game over £100 million on £14 million budget.
    It's been showing in my very average multiplex which is 3d/kids films obsessed and the Imitation Game has been showing since early November:confused:I spoke to the manager who told me he can't drop it because it's getting solid bookings still.
    I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was excellent the film though was not without weakness.[/QUOTE]