Kingsman: The Secret Service

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to see this on Tuesday, and I was slightly disappointed by it.

The Matthew Vaughan-Jane Goldman adaptation of a Mark Millar comic had worked so brilliantly last time with Kick Ass, so I had very high hopes for this one. But sadly Kingsman didn't work as well for me.

I think my main problem with it was the film's inability to reconcile its attempt to emulate classic spy films with its irreverent humour and strong bloody violence. The two styles never quite gelled for me. The reason Kick Ass worked so well was because of its strong identity - its irreverence was evident from the opening scene, with the film as a whole acting as very much an anti-superhero film. But with Kingsman, its conflicting styles meant it suffered from a crisis of identity. I never really knew what it was trying to be or say. The smoothness and coolness of Colin Firth's character seemed out of place with the laddish humour in other parts of the film. Even when he swore, it was jarring.

As well as this, the humour didn't work quite as well as I thought it would. Eggsy wasn't likeable enough as a character to make it work. A lot of the gags fell flat in the screening I was in, unfortunately. And the Swedish princess anal sex joke at the end was rather misjudged. It did have a few funny moments though.

That being said, a lot of the set-pieces worked very well. The church scene in particular was breathtaking, albeit incredibly violent. And the final confrontation at Valentine's base was very well staged. Among the other characters, Mark Strong and Michael Caine's performances were fantastic. And it was nice to see Mark Hamill popping up in the first half of the film. Though I wasn't entirely convinced by Eggsy, Colin Firth's character or Samuel L. Jackson's villain, Richmond Valentine.

In summary, while it wasn't bad, Kingsman left me feeling disappointed given the actors it featured and the writing talent behind it. It could have been to spy films what Kick Ass was to superhero films. But the humour, irreverence and clear style didn't come across well enough in Kingsman for me. Ahh well, you can't like them all!
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you had just gone to enjoy it rather than analyse every part of it you might have enjoyed it a bit more lol

The sex joke had the screening i was in in hysterics, it was so out of the blue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    If you had just gone to enjoy it rather than analyse every part of it you might have enjoyed it a bit more lol

The sex joke had the screening i was in in hysterics, it was so out of the blue.

Well I did go in expecting to enjoy it, but I was left disappointed. That was what my post was saying.

My analysis was me simply weighing up what did and didn't work for me in the film. And sadly most of it didn't work, in my view. I just didn't find it as entertaining or enjoyable as other people did unfortunately.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Same humour and stylised action as Kick-Ass but much better made imo. It looked really slick, the action sequences were great, managing to be both brutal, and brutally funny, the church scene in particular. I'll definitely be giving this another watch.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyable film. Thought the trailers looked awful but word of mouth got to me which made me go and see it. Bond + Kick-Ass + Tarantino. I think the marketing team made it seem like a lame British spoof rather than what it is.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually saw this in 4DX. I thought it was OK but tbh, with hindsight, it's the sort of film I would not normally have gone out of my way to see on the big screen, as opposed to rent. My reason for going was really that it was the first 4DX film in Milton Keynes's revamped Cineworld.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this this afternoon and thought it was a really great film.

Really nice to see a decent 15 rated action film rather than some that have been watered down too much just to get a lower certificate.

Fast paced,great cast,great action scenes and plenty of laugh out loud moments.

Although I was a bit shocked when
    Colin Firth got killed.I wasn't expecting that and spend the rest of the film wondering how he was going to return??!!!!????

Really recommend this if you like Bond type action films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Saw this tonight at the cinema and thought it was brilliant. 8/10
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    Saw this this afternoon and thought it was a really great film.

Really nice to see a decent 15 rated action film rather than some that have been watered down too much just to get a lower certificate.

Fast paced,great cast,great action scenes and plenty of laugh out loud moments.

Although I was a bit shocked when
    Colin Firth got killed.I wasn't expecting that and spend the rest of the film wondering how he was going to return??!!!!????

Really recommend this if you like Bond type action films.

Totally agree with this. Also the spoiler. i was shocked too.
    I also spent the rest of the film wondering how he would return. Very unusual to kill off a main character two thirds of the way through.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I actually saw this in 4DX. I thought it was OK but tbh, with hindsight, it's the sort of film I would not normally have gone out of my way to see on the big screen, as opposed to rent. My reason for going was really that it was the first 4DX film in Milton Keynes's revamped Cineworld.

So what was 4DX like? From what I have read it sounds like an updated version of DBOX. I tried the sample one of that at the Crawley cineworld. Great novelty for five minutes but I don't know if I could put up with it for two hours! What is different about 4DX? Is it not off-putting being shaken about for two hours?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    So what was 4DX like? From what I have read it sounds like an updated version of DBOX.

I never tried DBOX, so I don't have a point of comparison.
    I tried the sample one of that at the Crawley cineworld. Great novelty for five minutes but I don't know if I could put up with it for two hours! What is different about 4DX? Is it not off-putting being shaken about for two hours?

The health and safety notice they put up at the entrance is quite long! A number of types of people are forbidden, e.g., pregnant women, kids under 4, those with high blood pressure, etc. You're also not allowed to take in hot drinks.

When I experienced the first effect my feeling was WTF! But after a while you get used to it. However, I expect that, like 3D, there will be films where it is brilliantly implemented and others where it is “meh.” I did think that in some places it seemed unnecessary to put in the effects. They do give you the option to disable the water. There’s a button on the right seat arm. However, I found in practice that it was only light spray, so not too uncomfortable. Maybe in a film that’s sea-based it could become a bit much?

However, the effects weren't constant throughout the two hours as you fear. That would have been unbearable! But it will be interesting to see how it fares in something like, say, the upcoming Avengers movie.

I think it’s definitely worth trying once. After that it’s up to each person whether they think it’s worth it or not. I assume there will be a gradual roll-out to other cinemas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    So what was 4DX like? From what I have read it sounds like an updated version of DBOX. I tried the sample one of that at the Crawley cineworld. Great novelty for five minutes but I don't know if I could put up with it for two hours! What is different about 4DX? Is it not off-putting being shaken about for two hours?

I can testify that it's quite off-putting sitting behind one of those DBox seats during as movie. They're really noisy, clicking and whirring away all the way through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    I can testify that it's quite off-putting sitting behind one of those DBox seats during as movie. They're really noisy, clicking and whirring away all the way through.

The 4DX seems to be better implemented then. I didn't experience that.
  • SkyfallSkyfall Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed Kingsman: The Secret Service best comic book movie of 2015.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 4DX seems to be better implemented then. I didn't experience that.

That's good to hear, I'll await it's arrival at my local cinema. I'm not sure I'd bother trying it myself thouigh. I did experience something similar on holiday last year, a 3D cinema with a few external effects like moving chairs, wind, water, things rubbing against the backs of your legs, etc. It was quite effective, but still felt gimmicky and I'm not sure it would add much to my viewing pleasure across a whole movie.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyfall wrote: »
    Enjoyed Kingsman: The Secret Service best comic book movie of 2015.

How many others have been released so far in 2015?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    I'm not sure it would add much to my viewing pleasure across a whole movie.

I think it's something I might try sparingly. Maybe wait for reports from other punters to see which films it works well for and which not, to decide whether to try it on any particular occasion.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Is Colin Firth really the main character as some previous posters have said as I thought it was Taron Egerton as the whole film is about his development!

Colin Firth is the mentor role although done very well by him!
  • Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to see this on Tuesday, and I was slightly disappointed by it.

The Matthew Vaughan-Jane Goldman adaptation of a Mark Millar comic had worked so brilliantly last time with Kick Ass, so I had very high hopes for this one. But sadly Kingsman didn't work as well for me.

I think my main problem with it was the film's inability to reconcile its attempt to emulate classic spy films with its irreverent humour and strong bloody violence. The two styles never quite gelled for me. The reason Kick Ass worked so well was because of its strong identity - its irreverence was evident from the opening scene, with the film as a whole acting as very much an anti-superhero film. But with Kingsman, its conflicting styles meant it suffered from a crisis of identity. I never really knew what it was trying to be or say. The smoothness and coolness of Colin Firth's character seemed out of place with the laddish humour in other parts of the film. Even when he swore, it was jarring.

As well as this, the humour didn't work quite as well as I thought it would. Eggsy wasn't likeable enough as a character to make it work. A lot of the gags fell flat in the screening I was in, unfortunately. And the Swedish princess anal sex joke at the end was rather misjudged. It did have a few funny moments though.

That being said, a lot of the set-pieces worked very well. The church scene in particular was breathtaking, albeit incredibly violent. And the final confrontation at Valentine's base was very well staged. Among the other characters, Mark Strong and Michael Caine's performances were fantastic. And it was nice to see Mark Hamill popping up in the first half of the film. Though I wasn't entirely convinced by Eggsy, Colin Firth's character or Samuel L. Jackson's villain, Richmond Valentine.

In summary, while it wasn't bad, Kingsman left me feeling disappointed given the actors it featured and the writing talent behind it. It could have been to spy films what Kick Ass was to superhero films. But the humour, irreverence and clear style didn't come across well enough in Kingsman for me. Ahh well, you can't like them all!

Oh I agree. Went to see this today in Edinburgh.

This was really disappointing and I didn't like the editing of the film either; some scenes felt rushed. There also seems to me that there was a lack of characters, but then again that was maybe down to the source material. And I really enjoyed Vaughan's previous work as a director on Kick Ass and X-Men: First Class. Shame. :(

and the story was really poor; especially when we have had to wait for this for a while. I really felt there could have
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw this today I liked it, but didn't love it.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opening beyond expactions in the US for an opening weekend of around $40m. Seems hilarious that some were predicting this would flop. Pre-release tracking never supported this.
  • pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't usually like action movies that much but really enjoyed this. The comedy was great and some of the fight scenes were fantastic. Taron Egerton was superb too. I did prefer the first two thirds of the movie over the last as the final 45 minutes or so were a bit ridiculous and hard to follow but overall a really enjoyable watch and night out.

8/10
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the film. It's not serious but it is fun.

Although I did spend most of the film expecting:
    Mark Strong's character to turn bad.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Box Office Mojo, this has made $173 million worldwide so far, so i'd say a sequel is now highly likely since it only cost $81 million to make and the general rule of thumb is to double the budget before it starts making a profit.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=secretservice.htm
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it. Sometimes the tone was uncertain, but that didn't spoil the film, it just made it quirky. Likewise with other faults.

For example, Roxy didn't work for me. It's like they were trying to make a strong, female character but didn't know how. Gazelle did work, but her haircut reminded me of Claudia Winkleman, which was a hard image to shake.