Options

Webcam mic always on..?

Hi,

I was just looking at the settings for Skype earlier and I noticed the green bar that indicates activity was showing and moving for my webcam microphone, even when it is apparently inactive (i.e. no indicator light). Needless to say this is concerning me!

The webcam is a Logitech C525 and I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. Skype is updated to the latest version.

Does anyone else have this behaviour? and how do I stop it?

Mark

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I was just looking at the settings for Skype earlier and I noticed the green bar that indicates activity was showing and moving for my webcam microphone, even when it is apparently inactive (i.e. no indicator light). Needless to say this is concerning me!

The webcam is a Logitech C525 and I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. Skype is updated to the latest version.

Does anyone else have this behaviour? and how do I stop it?

Mark
    As long as the webcam is turned on the mic will be picking up sound. It doesn't mean the signal it produces is being used for anything other than make a bar move up and down on the screen. It is perfectly normal behaviour.

If it bothers you that much then simply unplug the webcam. :)
  • Options
    spanishmarkspanishmark Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I just tried recording with Windows sound recorder and Adobe Soundbooth and both recorded no problem and without the webcam's indicator light coming on. I'm confident that it's not a security issue (for example, no data is sent anywhere) it is just annoying!

Mark
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's perfectly normal, my Laptop is the same.

You can go into the Control Panel > Sound > Recording Tab > Select Microphone > Properties > General Tab > Device usage > (disable) Apply OK, OK.
    Alternatively
    > Levels Tab > Reduce sliders for Mic and Boost to 0 which will essentially turn the Mic off Apply, OK, OK.
    Finally:
    Control Panel > Device Manager > Audio inputs and outputs > Right click on Mic select disable.

One, if not all methods will work.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, windows device manager is the certain way. disable the device driver.

note, some malware will re-enable the driver, if naughty people get into your computer ............