Frankie's Tango

Comments

• coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was lyrical because of the music and so not really a good tango no matter how technically correct the steps we're. I far preferred Pixie's baca use the music and theming were a lot better.

Odd music can work brilliantly, Artem and Holly 's Black Swan American Smooth was so unexpected and memorable.

I think I will remember Pixie and Trents Tango I future years but not Frankie and Kevin's
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure if mark and pixie got higher marks you would of preferred Frankie's dance.

Its would HAVE

and are you related or just obsessed with Frankie ?

You know other people are allowed to dislike her, which I don't by the way?
  • Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »
    the vid of them doing the tango was shared on site that is for ex competitors teachers and judges all of them commenting on the great content of thhe tango and how good it was - it had far more substance than many give credit for on here and I know whose opinion I rate on the dance

Well that told me.
    Of course with no training in dance I will fail to properly rate all the content; pearls before swine and all that.
    However,a piece of performance art stands or falls by how it moves the observer and in this case the results were not good.I can rate only my own opinion as I experience art through my eyes and ears and heart,not 'an expert's.'

Veri wrote: »
    What, if anything, is the evidence that that actually happens?

Of course, the production team may take rehearsal performances into account when deciding the order, but that's quite different from the judges watching Friday to plan what to say and even their marks.

The idea that the scores are decided in advance, rather than being based on Saturday's dances, seems to be a rather popular one, but it would be outrageous if it were true.

I would guess the judges have quite a degree of foreknowledge of the routines.

The idea that they come in cold on Saturday night and comment and score completely off the cuff would be staggering if it were true.
  • GeorgeMarshGeorgeMarsh Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coppertop1 wrote: »
    Its would HAVE

and are you related or just obsessed with Frankie ?

You know other people are allowed to dislike her, which I don't by the way?

You are obseeed with Frankie. And its not about people disliking her I'm just stating the facts.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would guess the judges have quite a degree of foreknowledge of the routines.

The idea that they come in cold on Saturday night and comment and score completely off the cuff would be staggering if it were true.

Why would it be staggering for them to score based on the dance they saw on Saturday night? Isn't that how judges normally mark? People don't watch the Olympics thinking that judges (in sports that have judges) must have watched rehearsals and based their marks on that, or that it would be staggering if they marked based on what was done in front of them in the actual competition.

Maybe SCD judges prepare some remarks in advance; certainly some of their quips seem more contrived than spontaneous. But that's quite different from the judges deciding scores in advanced so that the "scores are pretty much predetermined".
  • Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    Why would it be staggering for them to score based on the dance they saw on Saturday night? Isn't that how judges normally mark? People don't watch the Olympics thinking that judges (in sports that have judges) must have watched rehearsals and based their marks on that, or that it would be staggering if they marked based on what was done in front of them in the actual competition.

Maybe SCD judges prepare some remarks in advance; certainly some of their quips seem more contrived than spontaneous. But that's quite different from the judges deciding scores in advanced so that the "scores are pretty much predetermined".

This is not the Olympics,it's much more important than that;-)

I never agreed verbatim with the other poster who said the "scores are pretty much predetermined".However I doubt that the judges haven't seen any rehearsal and do not have an idea what the form and likely standard of the dances will be in advance.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked them not using wires for the hoist up at the end because it wastes a lot of time as they are fitted and checked with similar delays for someone entering on a wire at the start of the dance. She just put her hand in a loop, when she came down I was expecting someone to appear to unclip from wires so was pleasantly surprised when she was able to just release the loop.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed Pixie's more but I liked both of them and if anything think it's a credit to Kevin that he got something so recognisably tango out that song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are obseeed with Frankie. And its not about people disliking her I'm just stating the facts.

I don't think I have ever posted anything about her before certainly not in my last 2 pages of previous posts.

No, they are not facts just because it is your opinion, just as everything I say is not fact just my opinion.
  • kirstylouise666kirstylouise666 Posts: 6,959
    Forum Member
    Definitely the best dance of the night and maybe the whole show so far.

It was great but best dance of the show? That's ludicrous. It was hardly a tango, as we know it, but was entertaining.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I have ever posted anything about her before certainly not in my last 2 pages of previous posts.

No, they are not facts just because it is your opinion, just as everything I say is not fact just my opinion.

why do you have a problem with me defending Frankie? And they are facts because 4 judges and pro dancers thought it was a proper tango done to a high standard.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,530
    Forum Member
    why do you have a problem with me defending Frankie? And they are facts because 4 judges and pro dancers thought it was a proper tango done to a high standard.

doesn't mean its fact everyone should and will enjoy it.

And as for your comment above about enjoying it more if Pixie and Mark scored higher.... nope

Had Frankie had proper music and mood for a tango then i'd probably enjoy it - that or replace her goon of a partner that probably would help ten fold as well.

As a tango it left me cold. It may have been a good dance, but for me it was nowhere near a memorable tango or the best dance of the series... it wasn't even the best dance of the night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doesn't mean its fact everyone should and will enjoy it.

And as for your comment above about enjoying it more if Pixie and Mark scored higher.... nope

Had Frankie had proper music and mood for a tango then i'd probably enjoy it - that or replace her goon of a partner that probably would help ten fold as well.

As a tango it left me cold. It may have been a good dance, but for me it was nowhere near a memorable tango or the best dance of the series... it wasn't even the best dance of the night.

Not for you but it was for many people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't have a problem with you defending Frankie, it,is obvious you like her very much.

However stating things are the way you want them to be does not make them so, how do you know that for many people it was the dance of the night, series and a really memorable dance, it obviously was for you, but you are not many people.
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit, I didn't like it either. I like Frankie and Kevin. Given that the dance was at the end, I expected something great. I'm sure the actual steps were fabulous, but the music completely ruined it for me and the lack of aggression. It looked like a waltz trying to pretend being a tango (similar to Jake's waltz pretending to look like a tango). I preferred Pixie's tango, much sharper.

For the record, I'm not a Pixie fan, I prefer Jake to either girls, and Frankie to Pixie!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't have a problem with you defending Frankie, it,is obvious you like her very much.

However stating things are the way you want them to be does not make them so, how do you know that for many people it was the dance of the night, series and a really memorable dance, it obviously was for you, but you are not many people.

Because I've seen a lot of comments saying that you can argue it wasn't the the best dance of the series so far but it's up there.

I just think it's a shame when someone is top of the leaderboard people try and find fault and try to bring it down.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit, I didn't like it either. I like Frankie and Kevin. Given that the dance was at the end, I expected something great. I'm sure the actual steps were fabulous, but the music completely ruined it for me and the lack of aggression. It looked like a waltz trying to pretend being a tango (similar to Jake's waltz pretending to look like a tango). I preferred Pixie's tango, much sharper.

For the record, I'm not a Pixie fan, I prefer Jake to either girls, and Frankie to Pixie!
    You try choreographing a sharp/aggressive tango to 'Defying Gravity' .. you have to interpret the music or it'll look like you're dancing to a different tune to the one playing.
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    You try choreographing a sharp/aggressive tango to 'Defying Gravity' .. you have to interpret the music or it'll look like you're dancing to a different tune to the one playing.

If I tried it, it would be an absolute "disaster":D:cool:. I can only comment on what I like or not, I'm not stating that Kevin was rubbish in the way he choreographed it. I completely see that this is what he had to do, it doesn't mean I have to like it:p.
  • dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    Moonbean wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Frankie's dancing last night, and thought the theme, costumes and music came together brilliantly.

However... I thought Tango was supposed to be quite aggressive and staccato? Hers looked very smooth and flowing, which didn't quite suit the style of dance for me. I may be wrong - I'm no expert - but it just didn't quite look Tango-ish enough. And then Bruno scored it a 10...?

Eh?

I couldn't see what the judges saw in the dance until I watched it with the sound muted- then I saw what a great tango it was.
    Forum Member
    Not for you but it was for many people.

Well obviously, I even said for me - implying it was me and didn't saying anything about anyone else
    Forum Member
    Because I've seen a lot of comments saying that you can argue it wasn't the the best dance of the series so far but it's up there.

I just think it's a shame when someone is top of the leaderboard people try and find fault and try to bring it down.

People criticique and have different opinions - just because a contestant wheather that be Frankie or Mark or Caroline or anyone else comes top of the leaderboard, it does not negate them from fault.
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't see what the judges saw in the dance until I watched it with the sound muted- then I saw what a great tango it was.

good point re the music and watching mute my brother watched odd videos on his phone sat night and asked if what was caroline dancing as it was not obvious to him (he did not have sound ) and he is a dance teacher too - amazing how the music does alter a dance
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I tried it, it would be an absolute "disaster":D:cool:. I can only comment on what I like or not, I'm not stating that Kevin was rubbish in the way he choreographed it. I completely see that this is what he had to do, it doesn't mean I have to like it:p.
    Course not .. but the production team are to blame. Try watching it mute as others have suggested .. to better judge the Tango content I mean.
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, I did that as well, and I completely agree. Kevin did a fantastic job with the choreography, and I think the judges (and pro dancers on ITT) were right to give it the praise that they did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's an easy trap to fall into to make assumptions based upon what we are shown alone.

SCD is primarily intended to entertain. There is a budget - which will only support a limited number of special effects. Every pro would like to be able to choreograph a routine with the maximum amount of whistles and bells. In practice, some will be told they'll only be getting the costumes, and others will be told they will have more to play with.

My gut feeling is Kevin must have known that would be the show finale when he choreographed it. For me, floating up to the sky with a serene smile doesn't belong in a Tango. I think both Franky and Pixie lucked out - getting free passes for a dance which was potentially challenging to both girls.

But Franky delivered the choreography she was given to a high standard - and deserved 9s (which she doubtless would have got anyway unless she fell over in the middle of it).