Puppy crying....

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have offered this advice on here before, but I can't recommend it enough. Go out and buy (or order form Amazon) a book called "The Dog Listener" by Jan Fennell.

It is an absolute Godsend for any new dog owner. If you begin following her advice now, you will have a perfectly happy and wonderful pet for the duration of his/her life.

My two dogs sleep together in a cage, even if the door remains open , they sleep in there, they love it, it's comfortable, they have a big fat fluffy dog bed in there. They sleep there at night and when I go out, they never cry, it is their bed and they love it. :)
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put an old t-shirt or similar that you have worn on a teddy and give it to her. If you dont stay firm you will never be able to leave her. I know it is harsh and your heart will break ever time she cries but dogs aren't daft, she will soon realise how to get your attention and after that its a down spiral. fortunately it should all pan out about the 12-14 week mark.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just remember, puppy is a baby. Everything is very new and very frightening. The one thig she knows is you and even that is an uncertainty as you took her from where she was safe to this new big home. I agree, do not go to her when she whines but make it as comfortable and cosy as possible. I have two older dogs - 2 and 5 - and if I leave them with someone over night or in kennels (not often) I still give them a T-shirt of mine or hubby's so they 'know' we are still around. A ticking alarm clock worked well too and a luke warm hot water bottle. Lots of blankets and softness in the crate.
    I have never used a crate but do not disagree with them IF used properly. Never use them as punishment, never use them for so long apart from at night so the dog gets worried about going in. Most dogs hate to mess their 'area', so if they start worrying about messing them, it might start having negative associations. Basically, make sure puppy has been out just before bed and first thing in the morning, and avoid using the crate during the day unless you are going out. After a few months, you will probably be able to leave door open and pup will sleep in there anyway. As for the whining - it will ease. If you carry on as you are, with a bit of empathy with how frightened and lonely she feels, she will get used to the routine and the fact that you always come back to her for cuddles. I agree as well with increasing periods of time leaving her in a room etc. She'll realise being alone does not mean abandoned. You're doing a good job, it's so wonderful having a dog. Enjoy it. she will give you so much love.
    Am not sure about the pup being put in the garage for whining. Seems a bit extreme. Just not fussing/ going to her until she stopped would have sufficed. Imagine putting a baby into a garage until it stops crying? But each to their own. It's not like she stayed out there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Putting puppies/older dogs in cages/crate is not cruel. It is not a prison and it is not cold and miserable!

OP - How old was the puppy when you got it?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh Madge, poor you. I can understand why the worry of all this would make you feel ill - you're probably chronically sleep deprived and it's relentless. It must feel like it's all down to you and you hold the key, yet have no idea of the combination! There seems to be some wonderful advice here and ideas to try. You're being such a kind and loving mum to her, I hope you get a breakthrough soon. Good luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I have tried nearly all of the methods though - clock, blanket, hot water bottle, kong treats, toys, tiring her out etc. etc.

I'm still mega stressed! I've decided to move the crate to the kitchen, and keep the crate door open. She was pretty quiet last night, but hates it if she is left alone. She's only 10 weeks old now, and I've had her a day over a week now so I guess that is normal. I love her to pieces and am so totally paranoid that I'm doing everything wrong...! There's so much contradictory advice in books etc. and having never had a dog before I'm unsure to what I'm doing.

I've wanted a dog all my life and I just want her to be happy. :cry:
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've wanted a dog all my life and I just want her to be happy. :cry:
    Being a mog, I'm the last person to ask for advice, but I am sure once the puppy has adapted to thier new & (strange to them) surroundings, things will get better
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friends sister has taken a police dog puppy for 8 months before they are sent to be trained. She has to keep him in the crate at night and is not allowed to go to him, its all part of the deal. He was 9 weeks when they got him 3 weeks ago, and he's just started to stop crying. They were told it could take up to 4 weeks before he settles in.

I'm much more of coward and my puppy slept in a large cardboard box in the bedroom when we first got her. Covered the floor in pampers care mats and took her up the garden every 2 hours. It was like having a newborn again. She's 2 now, but it was all worth it.

Just stick with it, it will get better and it is worth it. Try putting headphones on when you go to bed so you cant hear her. My friends sister did that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done this one a couple of times, take a good old fashioned style wind up clock (one with a good tick) and hide it under a pillow or three in the dogs bed - also put a warm water bottle under there to (not too hot), helps make the dog feel comfy. And if you can, why not treat yoursef to a new duvet - fold the old one up and put it into the dogs bed for it to lie on, the smell of you on it will help ;)

Stick with it, once you get past this bit, dog ownership is extremely rewarding.

I've done this with all my puppies and it's helped no end.
    Forum Member
    Since I moved her crate into the kitchen, she's been so much better! Touch wood.... :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I moved her crate into the kitchen, she's been so much better! Touch wood.... :)
    Pleased to hear that Madge. I hope this marks the start of a breakthrough and you can both get a good night's sleep from now on. :)
    Forum Member
    LindyLupin wrote:
    Pleased to hear that Madge. I hope this marks the start of a breakthrough and you can both get a good night's sleep from now on. :)

Thanks Lindy! Well she's in bed now and hasn't made a sound. So I'm off to bed too lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,449
    Forum Member
    My dog loves her cage's , she has 1 at home,1 at my office and 1 at my MIL's for when she stays there.
    She sleeps in her cages, Keeps her toys in them and quite often plays in them.
    I don't put her in ther she goes in herself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    My staffie used to howl when i first got her as a pup. I gave her an item of clothing that i had worn so she could still smell my scent and a cuddly tigger. Also a lot of the problem was me tending to her worrying about the neighbour my other half put his foot down and said no more going to see her when she cries and within 2 days she had stopped whining.
  • ÐåÑ©ìÑG ÐïVÅ™ÐåÑ©ìÑG ÐïVÅ™ Posts: 5,706
    Forum Member
    My staffie used to howl when i first got her as a pup. I gave her an item of clothing that i had worn so she could still smell my scent and a cuddly tigger. Also a lot of the problem was me tending to her worrying about the neighbour my other half put his foot down and said no more going to see her when she cries and within 2 days she had stopped whining.

Does your staff snore....... mine does very loudly but i think majority of staffs do don't they....... Zara loves her cage and it is a godsend

some people say they are cruel and prisons etc but well worth 20 quid off ebay ;)
    Forum Member
    shaz77 wrote:
    Does your staff snore....... mine does very loudly but i think majority of staffs do don't they....... Zara loves her cage and it is a godsend

some people say they are cruel and prisons etc but well worth 20 quid off ebay ;)

Yes she does not all the time occasionally she'll do a really loud snore and it wakes her up its really funny. She sighs a lot as well.

Yes I also have a crate for her and it is a godsend. She ate all of the kitchen floor so I decided to get one and it doesn't bother her at all. My brother told me it was cruel and nasty he really upset me, but i thought loads of people do it. It not like she is neglected.
    Forum Member
    Yes she does not all the time occasionally she'll do a really loud snore and it wakes her up its really funny. She sighs a lot as well.

Yes I also have a crate for her and it is a godsend. She ate all of the kitchen floor so I decided to get one and it doesn't bother her at all. My brother told me it was cruel and nasty he really upset me, but i thought loads of people do it. It not like she is neglected.

I wouldn't be with out mine either these sort of daogs chew anything mine has even been known to chew metal, wood, plastic abs everything........

If my dog showed distress in her cage then i wouldn't use it..... but she is very happy and content and i am sure the O P will enjoy the puppy months ;)
    Forum Member
    Yeah she will when she gets the crying sorted I used to really worry about it but once you overcome it, its so nice to enjoy them.

Shaz - do you have kids?

The only reason i ask is i am pregnant with my first and people keep constantly telling me i should get rid of Cody (my staff) which i am adament that i will not she is good around children never shown an agressive behaviour at all. She is used to being around young children as my step son stays with us at weekends. It is just frustrating me that people keep telling me that.

I wouldn't leave her in the room with any child (highly due to the fact i caught my step son hitting her and i do not tolerate that sort of thing so i don't leave them alone even though it has never bothered her)
    Forum Member
    Yeah she will when she gets the crying sorted I used to really worry about it but once you overcome it, its so nice to enjoy them.

Shaz - do you have kids?

The only reason i ask is i am pregnant with my first and people keep constantly telling me i should get rid of Cody (my staff) which i am adament that i will not she is good around children never shown an agressive behaviour at all. She is used to being around young children as my step son stays with us at weekends. It is just frustrating me that people keep telling me that.

I wouldn't leave her in the room with any child (highly due to the fact i caught my step son hitting her and i do not tolerate that sort of thing so i don't leave them alone even though it has never bothered her)

Yes i do

dont get rid of her, they are nanny dogs and protect the young........... my staff was sitting by the side of a 4 week old baby and i have some pictures as well, they love kids my daughter is 8 and they are like sisters ....... very protective over kids so i would deffo say a staff is the best kind of dog near children............... ;)
    Forum Member
    Thanks Shaz i knew my gut instinct was right she is such a soppy little thing.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Shaz i knew my gut instinct was right she is such a soppy little thing.

Good luck with the baby ;) ill pm you my website and you can see the pics of zara :)
    Forum Member
    Welll my darling puppy is much, much better at night! She goes off to bed with no problems now and I dont hear a peep out of her all night. BUT she does start to whine at 6.30 which was when I was orginally getting up (now I get up 6.45am) and Im not sure how to approach her when I do get up now. I try to wait until she stops before I enter the kitchen.

She also whines when I leave her in the kitchen and close the door during the day. Never at night when I go to bed, but she does whine in the day! Will she ever stop this?
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She also whines when I leave her in the kitchen and close the door during the day. Never at night when I go to bed, but she does whine in the day! Will she ever stop this?

I have to say that mine have never stopped. If i leave the house for work, and listen at the front door - they dont whine as they are used to me going out for a few hours.

But if i shut them in the kitchen when we have guests, or wet paint or whatever they wont stop whining as they know you are nearby and they want to be with you.
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote:
    I have to say that mine have never stopped. If i leave the house for work, and listen at the front door - they dont whine as they are used to me going out for a few hours.

But if i shut them in the kitchen when we have guests, or wet paint or whatever they wont stop whining as they know you are nearby and they want to be with you.

Well I know dogs aren't always silent forever ;) But I guess there will be times when I have to put my dog away from builders or if I need to work...I try and make sure she is not bored but I guess we'll both have to try and work at it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Welll my darling puppy is much, much better at night! She goes off to bed with no problems now and I dont hear a peep out of her all night. BUT she does start to whine at 6.30 which was when I was orginally getting up (now I get up 6.45am) and Im not sure how to approach her when I do get up now. I try to wait until she stops before I enter the kitchen.

The best thing to do is to go into the kitchen but ignore her completely until she is quiet. Open the crate, let her outside to do her business and then praise her for having gone outside. She will soon get the message that whining will get nothing, especially your attention, which is what she wants. This also applies when she is left in the kitchen during the day, ignore it. Acknowledge her only when she is quiet and praise her.