How fast is electricity?

Comments

• Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    This thread is buzzing :D

:D

It's a shame that super-genius Tesla is not around to comment on this bloody thread! :p
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tesla had weird pseudoscience ideas and was partly fake .......you can be that and a genius at the same time .......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    tesla had weird pseudoscience ideas and was partly fake .......you can be that and a genius at the same time .......

Nothing fake about AC current.

Tesla was probably autistic and suffered from OCD - thus his image as the 'classic' mad scientist' was born.
  • warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An electron gets stopped by the police.
    "Do you realise you were doing 800 mph?" says the cop.
    "Oh heck. Now I'm lost" says the electron.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warlord wrote: »
    An electron gets stopped by the police.
    "Do you realise you were doing 800 mph?" says the cop.
    "Oh heck. Now I'm lost" says the electron.

very witty!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing fake about AC current.

Tesla was probably autistic and suffered from OCD - thus his image as the 'classic' mad scientist' was born.

rubbish.

http://www.edisontechcenter.org/tesladebunked.html
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read somewhere that the speed of electrical impulses in the human body has been discovered to travel along neural paths at over 700mph. The delay seen in office block lighting, or runway lighting being swirched on my be due to electrobic control gear, capacitors in control circuits charging, etc.
    There is hardly any delay in spark transmitting over great distances so I would presume that the speed f electrixi tty might be as fast as the speed of light?
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read somewhere that the speed of electrical impulses in the human body has been discovered to travel along neural paths at over 700mph. The delay seen in office block lighting, or runway lighting being swirched on my be due to electrobic control gear, capacitors in control circuits charging, etc.
    There is hardly any delay in spark transmitting over great distances so I would presume that the speed f electrixi tty might be as fast as the speed of light?

Yeah, I thought I'd read that electrochemical (:p) nerve impulses travel at roughly the speed of sound. Turns out we were both wrong, it's 80-120m/s (180-270mph), but much slower in certain nerves. This Wikipedia article makes an interesting read: Nerve conduction velocity. :)

I think this thread's probably run its course now.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should give you a rebate if your electricity is a bit slow

They should have speed tests like broadband
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hardly a unbias source is it?

The article is simply slagging off Tesla at every available opportunity.

And if I looked a Tesla site is would be the same for Edison I suspect.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... The delay seen in office block lighting, or runway lighting ...
    This is simply because they are big lights (or large groups of small lights) and it takes a noticeable length of time for the electricity to surge in to each one (or set) and slosh around before surging back out and along to the next one. It's a little confusing because the flow is a rather counter-intuitive unless you remember gravity works the wrong way round in this context - office lights are significantly faster when the sequence starts at the ground floor (as opposed to the much slower 'downhill' ordering), and runway lights are slowest in spite of all being at the same height.
    I think this thread's probably run its course now.
    If you mean like middle-distance races where the start and finish lines are not that far apart, you may be right...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly a unbias source is it?

The article is simply slagging off Tesla at every available opportunity.

And if I looked a Tesla site is would be the same for Edison I suspect.

those are the facts ...... even if sarcastically presented.

2 phase ac was really to eliminate sparking on motors but was a non starter for power distribution. point about 3 phase is the generators don't shake themselves to bits, and the neutral line current is zero so only the live conductors are used over distance ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphase_system#Phases
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    those are the facts ...... even if sarcastically presented.

2 phase ac was really to eliminate sparking on motors but was a non starter for power distribution. point about 3 phase is the generators don't shake themselves to bits, and the neutral line current is zero so only the live conductors are used over distance ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphase_system#Phases

I am no engineer (to say the least lol) but the programmes I have seen that have featured Tesla in some way have always spoken of the man with great respect.

Jim Al-Khalili's superb BBC4 series for example. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00kjq6d
  • R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next time you watch a programme presented by Jim Al-Khalili count the times he reminds you about his credentials, it's every bloody link, the bloke is unwatchable.

Yes, Jim we know that you are a theoretical physicist, stop frigging telling us in every second sentence!

Now I have mentioned it you will notice it.

Starts talking:-
    "As a physicist"
    I notice these things "as a scientist."

I always start watching his programmes because the subject matter is so interesting, but he blows so much smoke up his own arse I have to turn off!

He's a theoretical physicist, not sure if he mentions this on TV. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R82n8 wrote: »
    ... Yes, Jim we know that you are a theoretical physicist, stop frigging telling us in every second sentence!
    Not something I had noticed :confused:
    Now I have mentioned it you will notice it.
    Oh well, that's it now it's all ruined and it's all your fault! :mad:

Something of a fan of his because the style of what I've seen of him was always relatively low-key and definitely leaning towards 'educational' rather than 'showy'.

But it doesn't matter any more, I'm too upset to watch :( and I'm going to sulk.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not something I had noticed :confused:

Oh well, that's it now it's all ruined and it's all your fault! :mad:

Something of a fan of his because the style of what I've seen of him was always relatively low-key and definitely leaning towards 'educational' rather than 'showy'.

But it doesn't matter any more, I'm too upset to watch :( and I'm going to sulk.
    I don't mind him telling me he is a physicist a little too often, but I'm still a bit cross about his description of the ultraviolet catastrophe in his recent two-parter on quantum mechanics....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    ... his recent two-parter on quantum mechanics....
    Fine, just add to my misery with a dose of missed-programme guilt!

I'm hoping 'ultraviolet catastrophe' is not related to any resonance cascade scenario because I wouldn't want to start one with my banknote checker as that would be more than just a little embarrassing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry i almost forgot tesla invented free energy and antigravity n stuff but the illuminati suppressed it all ........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loadsa stuff bout tesla towers but nowt explaining they dont work cos the daft bugger didnt understand basic electrodynamics .........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fine, just add to my misery with a dose of missed-programme guilt!

I'm hoping 'ultraviolet catastrophe' is not related to any resonance cascade scenario because I wouldn't want to start one with my banknote checker as that would be more than just a little embarrassing.

nobody talks bout the infra red disaster which was equallly there pre max plank ........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in many respects tesla was very like buffalo bill with showmanship trumping actuality ......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is simply because they are big lights (or large groups of small lights) and it takes a noticeable length of time for the electricity to surge in to each one (or set) and slosh around before surging back out and along to the next one. It's a little confusing because the flow is a rather counter-intuitive unless you remember gravity works the wrong way round in this context - office lights are significantly faster when the sequence starts at the ground floor (as opposed to the much slower 'downhill' ordering), and runway lights are slowest in spite of all being at the same height.

If you mean like middle-distance races where the start and finish lines are not that far apart, you may be right...
    never before has an unterminated tx line been so clearly explained !
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    in many respects tesla was very like buffalo bill with showmanship trumping actuality ......

Exactly - he did a few good things, and a load of utter crap - yet people seem to think he was some kind of god?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never before has an unterminated tx line been so clearly explained !
    Any technical question should be answerable by illustration with sticks and string or pipes and buckets, or on rare occasions, dynamite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any technical question should be answerable by illustration with sticks and string or pipes and buckets, or on rare occasions, dynamite.
    has the world so soon forgotten magnus pyke arm waving ?