Options

Mens aftershave

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone recommend a decent aftershave? I used to wear Acqua di Gio for years but fancied something new ... nothing Ive worn recently I would wear again.

So any men's aftershave that really floats your boat ladies? ;)

Comments

• Options
    xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Farhenheit by Dior is gorgeous!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xbling wrote: »

Interesting, will give it a try the next time Im shopping :) Anybody else recommend nice aftershave?
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    'Brut' is always a safe bet.;):o
  • Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in boots at the weekend and marc jacobs has a new one out called bang. It was really nice.
  • Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eton by Taylors of Old Bond Street.
  • Options
    Harry.KewellHarry.Kewell Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    212 by Carolina Herrera, gets a lot of compliments whenever I have it on.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very old one from years back is Tabac. It smells like clean soap and talc, which sounds boring but I find so many aftershaves at the moment revolting- too much vanilla or like air freshener. I also like cologne on a man - 4711 is a classic.
  • Options
    boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xbling wrote: »

This and Black XS by Paco Rabanne. Mmmmm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought the much beloved : 212 Men by Caroline Herrera
    It is a warm sexy smell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    212 by Carolina Herrera, gets a lot of compliments whenever I have it on.

mmmm it is lush
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check out Aramis and the classic Old Spice
  • Options
    toribaynestoribaynes Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    versace blue jeans and issey miyake is luvvly
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Depends what you like. Light fresh type of scent or something a bit more heavy and spicy? I like Fahrenheit but wouldn't wear it everyday as it is quite heavy imo. More of an evening going out type scent for me.

I have loads of after shaves but two I seem to use the most are Paul Smith (green bottle). Very fresh, pleasant and not too over powering. The other is Tom Ford, not too dissimilar to Paul Smith but very nice and maybe more an evening scent. There are so many out there that it is quite bewildering at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Depends what you like. Light fresh type of scent or something a bit more heavy and spicy? I like Fahrenheit but wouldn't wear it everyday as it is quite heavy imo. More of an evening going out type scent for me.

I have loads of after shaves but two I seem to use the most are Paul Smith (green bottle). Very fresh, pleasant and not too over powering. The other is Tom Ford, not too dissimilar to Paul Smith but very nice and maybe more an evening scent. There are so many out there that it is quite bewildering at times.

Yeah it is :) Im definitely more of a fresh-scent type of guy, the woody stuff just isn't me. 212 is gorgeous but like di gio its also *very* popular. Plus my friend used to cake himself in it when we were younger so its got instant-avoid status for me ;)

I guess in summary, something in the same vein a 212 just a little more unknown :D
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    That's why I love the airport duty free shops where you can spray away and treat yourself. That's where I have got most of mine. I know what you mean about some being too popular. I remember when nearly everyone wore Kouros by YSL which put me off it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    K im leaning towards :

Green Irish Tweed - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120716.html
    Rochas Man - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121369/reviews.html
    Le Male - http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120972.html -

I think Id prefer the GIT, but it is insanely expensive. Le Male is nice but maybe a bit young/too popular. Dont have a great deal of experience with the Rochas Man but it sounds nice.

Anyone come accross any of these in their time?
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with Joop Jump. I get loads of compliments on it

Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male is nice too.
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,009
    Forum Member
    Bvlgari Pour homme
  • Options
    BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gucci Envy & Gucci By Gucci smell lovely.
    Cool Buchu - Molton Brown (re-charge black pepper is lovely too)
    Ultra Violet - Paco Robanne.

I love earthy smelling fragrances - sandalwood, cedarwood, cinnamon etc. Floral fragrances are too overbearing and smell like air-freshner. (Haven't tried Nino Cerruti myself yet but that's another possible recommendation)
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,484
    Forum Member
    Jean Paul Gaultier
  • Options
    Wobbly SteveWobbly Steve Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chanel - Anteus

Hugo Boss
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    New one out by Bulgari - its called Man.
    Its gorgeous.

I have found this site to be helpful

http://www.fragrantica.com/

If you type in the fragrance you like, it will tell you what 'family' of fragrance it belongs to and it will tell you what it is comprised of [approximately, not the exact recipe of course.]

Then it lists other fragrances in the same 'family' and with similar recipes.
    I found it particularly helpful when a favourite fragrance is discontinued. It helps you find a new one which is similar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most compliments I have ever received in one day have been when I have been wearing L'Instant EDP by Guerlain.

I recently purchased Kristiansand New York, and it's absolutely phenominal. It's quite similar to another favourite of mine, D&G's By Man (the zebra patterned bottle) which hasn't been in production for years and goes for silly money on ebay.

Alternatively, I'd recommend you check out Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Aventus by Creed, or Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was looking at the Aventus at one point :) Ended up just going for the Le Male, the girl selling it gave me enough free samples of the new fragrance to be an entire bottle of aftershave for free and the JPG was cheap so thought Id give it a go.

Its already had numerous comments so pretty happy :) Thanks for the suggestions, will bookmark this thread for when I decide to try a new one out!
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    marc822 wrote: »
    I was in boots at the weekend and marc jacobs has a new one out called bang. It was really nice.

I agree. Been mostly wearing Gucci by Gucci for the best part of a year but I think bang is set to become my signiture fragrence. Kinda spicey & peppery.