Do you like a singer because of their voice or their songs?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
Forum Member
or a mixture of both? Serious question. When asking somebody "What's your favourite singer" and then you ask them whether it's their voice or their songs that they like, then alot of them would go "eerrmmm.."

For example I like Rihanna, she's got a good voice but it's not amazing but I like her songs.

Mariah Carey has got a brilliant voice and therefore I like any song that she sings. From her rnb ones to her slow soulful ones they all sound amazing. She's got a voice that I'd be happy if she sang anything.. if this makes sense.. but with Rihanna I don't feel that way.. I don't think Rihanna could sound good singing a really slow song.

- What's your fave singer?
- Do you like their voice or the songs that they sing? or both?

Comments

• LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on board with Mariah Carey. She's lucky enough to have such a magnificent voice that her worst songs become great.
    For me, it's a lot about the voice. If they don't have a good one then the song has to be damn good.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably songs, I couldn't really care less how they sound pre production, it's the finished product that counts imo
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I'd say songs. Like, to be honest, it doesn't bother me if an artist I like isn't very good at singing, if they're songs are completely and utterly amazing.

Likewize, if there's an artist that's an amazing singer, but makes loads of boring, generic songs, which all sound the same, I won't like them. Kudos to them for their singing skills, but I don't want to listen to their music, because I want to listen to songs I enjoy.

Like I hate it when someone's like "Oh, my favourite artists writes all her songs, and she's really good at singing, and she plays the violin aswell". It's kind of like "Yeah, good for her, but her songs are boring".

It does make me wonder though, what do those people do when they like a song, and then they discover the credited artist didn't write it? Do they stop liking the song?
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Like I hate it when someone's like "Oh, my favourite artists writes all her songs, and she's really good at singing, and she plays the violin aswell". It's kind of like "Yeah, good for her, but her songs are boring".
    That's a pretty unfair thing to say because how you view the song is down to your personal taste. What you think is boring, someone may think is amazing.
    I have tons of respect for artists who write their own songs, play instruments and have a good voice (ala Mariah Carey) because they work harder than those artists who barely lift a finger.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mostly both. For me Jeff Buckley is a miraculous blend of both. Then bizarrely I love some of Snow Patrol's songs but hate the band.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    I probably prefer a singer because of their songs, but voice always will play a part, I mean there isn't anything which Ke$ha could release which I would like, as a result of her terrible voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voice - cause often I prefer my favourite singers singing other peoples songs.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    That's a pretty unfair thing to say because how you view the song is down to your personal taste. What you think is boring, someone may think is amazing.
    I have tons of respect for artists who write their own songs, play instruments and have a good voice (ala Mariah Carey) because they work harder than those artists who barely lift a finger.

No, that's what I mean. I understand that people find different songs boring and interesting. Like even with myself, I've found songs interesting, then found them boring a couple of years later, or vice versa.

But I mean, I hate it when I say "I love this song, it makes me really happy", and then someone chimes in and says "I hate that song, because the credited artist didn't write the lyrics". I just can't understand the logic in that. You like a song because it sounds nice. It doesn't matter who made it.

It doesn't bother me so much when I say "I love this song, it makes me really happy", and then someone else says "I hate that song. I find it really dull". That's fair enough, because they're commenting on the SONG itself, not the artists, and who contributed what, etc.

Like I said before. If someone's good at singing, fair enough, well done. But I'm not going to like every song they sing on. They have to release good songs for me to like them, just like all the other less-talented artists have to.
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    I think it would certainly be both, but FIRST would be the voice, After all, what do you hear when you hear a new song first? If the voice is okay and the song is good, then that's fine, but if the voice is awful it doesn't really matter how good the song is.

I do prefer my artistes to write some/all of their own songs, like with Faith Hill I loved her voice and her songs, but was somewhat disappointed to find she didn't write them. None. Not one. Didn't mean I stopped listening to her or thought any less of her, but the shine went off just a little for me.
  • xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    I would have to say voice. Mariah carey's voice makes me want to listen to every song she makes, even if the song may be rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Both.

They would need to have good songs for me to like them in the first place, but their musical talent will vary how much I like them as an artist.

I tend to only really like artists if they have good voices, though. I value musical talent.

I find that I can only like Britney, Ke$ha, Cheryl and Katy Perry so much because they simply don't impress me vocally - but I like their material (on varying levels).

On the other end of the scale, I like Mariah Carey's voice - but just don't care for her music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    It depends. I am picky. It's often a combination of both but that doesn't necessarily mean I like clean cut voices. Some of my favourite acts are not traditionally clean singers.

Sometimes a voice can make an artist and sometimes the music can make them. Bjork is a great example because it's a bit of both. Some of her songs are pretty much focused on her singing only, whereas others are much more focused on the music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think when a singer has a good voice it can make an average song amazing. Take Mariah as an example, she is my favourite artist ever. Some of her songs appeal to me because of the tune while others leave me in awe at the vocal performance.

Lady Gaga has a good balance. She has a brilliant voice, live especially, and her songs are catchy enough to make you listen repeatedly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Songs 70% Voice 30%
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't give a flying how well someone can sing, it's what they're singing that interests me.

For example, if I had a choice between someone with a perfect voice singing about their dustbin collection dates or someone with a rough voice, but singing about something heartfelt. I'd pick the latter.

I'd rather hear someone with message than, say, an X Factor winner drivel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I hate it when people say, I hate anything they do!

and i say if you liked a song and didnt know it was them would you then start to hate it?

they say yeah or that they know the voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kylock wrote: »
    I hate it when people say, I hate anything they do!

and i say if you liked a song and didnt know it was them would you then start to hate it?

they say yeah or that they know the voice.

That's just the worst. Like I dislike Chris Brown (used to like him but after 'that' Rihanna incident he now comes across as arrogant) but I really like 'Yeah 3x'.
  • sterock85sterock85 Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    The songwriting is what interests me the most. They have to be able to sing, though im not bothered if they are pitch perfect ll the time or have huge range, a nice tone is most important in terms of vocal. But it's what they write that interests me as a fan of an artist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christina and Adele - I love their voices no matter what songs they sing, i ultimately look to their voices and like the song through that. Whereas with Rihanna for example, i like her for her songs and hooks. I don't go to Rihanna for vocals lol
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voice without a doubt.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say about 80% song, 20% voice.

If someone can sing live, great, but if it's all autotuned but sounds amazing, I'm still going to like it.

I almost said 100% song, but then realised that there are instances where I perhaps like a song, then someone else sings it and I hate it with their voice, ie Anyone but Janis Joplin singing Piece of My Heart, or that Ellie Goulding version of Your Song. But also vice versa, often find on Live Lounge albums for example, a song I didn't like suddenly sounding amazing when sung by someone else.

But yeah, basically it's the songs that are most important for me, with the voice playing a part, afterall if the songs crap, the person singing it having a good voice doesn't make it any better, you can't polish a turd
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both for me really, it's definitely the voice I connect with first but the lyrics have to have meaning for me too. Having said that, a good old bit of meaningless pop works as well if I'm in the right mood :D
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    Trollheart wrote: »
    I think it would certainly be both, but FIRST would be the voice, After all, what do you hear when you hear a new song first? If the voice is okay and the song is good, then that's fine, but if the voice is awful it doesn't really matter how good the song is.

I do prefer my artistes to write some/all of their own songs, like with Faith Hill I loved her voice and her songs, but was somewhat disappointed to find she didn't write them. None. Not one. Didn't mean I stopped listening to her or thought any less of her, but the shine went off just a little for me.

I find this attitude a little absurd, to be honest.

Would you go off an actor if he/she had never written a script?

Singers have to be performers first and foremost, and they have to deliver a song so that it connects with the listeners. Some singers do this brilliantly, Faith Hill included, and that is their art.

Obviously some song writers can sing, and some singers can write songs. For me though, they can also be seperate talents and I respect both.
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Songs - 80%.
    Voice - 20%.

If the song isn't good, I don't care for the voice.
    Madonna isn't the best singer, but Mariah Carey has yet to record a song as good as Like A Prayer or Papa Don't Preach.

Same with Beyoncé and Britney.
    Beyoncé's more talented, but the majority of her work is bland Pop-Contemporary R'n'B.
    Britney's more musically adventurous, and a lot more exciting, basically. She has some life there.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's always about the music. You can have the best singer in the world but if there's no music behind the vocal then it's just pointless. Pop music over the last 20 years or so has become very vocal-driven, so there are many artists (many of them female) who have very good singing voices but there's a real lack of music behind the vocal, often just a simple bass rhythm and a drum beat and to my ears that's really dull.

I'm quite happy to listen to singers who can't sing very well - in fact that's often part of the appeal. What's important is that the music behind the vocal holds up well and that the singer is singing with their heart and delivers the lyrics with feeling and not as if they're just reading lines off an autocue.