Amy and Rory's house

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I think people are over examining this. The house is the same one from the Impossible Astronaut. The car was the gift.

Exactly how I interprated it :) Something I think most people are forgetting is that Amys house from last year isnt hers any more - at the end of the Big Bang we saw her parents were living there, and presumably after she married Rory they wernt going to live at home any more! This is probably their post-marital home :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people are over examining this. The house is the same one from the Impossible Astronaut. The car was the gift.

When they exited the Tardis and Rory went into the house he came out with three glasses and a bottle of what I can only guess was champagne. Why would he do that if it was not their own house unless we are saying that the Doctor popped into the local Tesco to do some shopping for them! :p Plus they seemed to know where they were when the Tardis landed.

In the case of time lines they would have landed after the events of The Impossible Astronaut for Amy and Rory but there is still another 200 years (give or take) until the Doctor catches up and meets his death.
    Amy: don't tell me, that's not a real house...

Doctor: Real house - real house and real front door keys!

Amy: You're kidding...
    I'm, paraphrasing, but it was definitely words to this effect, and certainly not "It's my house doctor!" or "Why are you giving me front door keys to my own house?". Go back and watch it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b014vy02/?t=42m47s
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I think there's way too much over analysis going on.

Unlit proven otherwise I'm going to assume that the Doctor has bought Rory and Amy a house and a car and even stuck a bottle of champagne in the fridge so they could celebrate their good fortune.

I would assume they previously rented , as they couldn't afford a place of their own and were expecting to go off with the Doctor again at a moments notice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there's way too much over analysis going on.

Unlit proven otherwise I'm going to assume that the Doctor has bought Rory and Amy a house and a car and even stuck a bottle of champagne in the fridge so they could celebrate their good fortune.

I would assume they previously rented , as they couldn't afford a place of their own and were expecting to go off with the Doctor again at a moments notice.

Precisely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    If there's 200 years until they next meet the Doctor then they're probably likely to buy a new house.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course there is the question of when the Doctor bought the House and Car.

I would think they came straight from the Not!Nimon spaceship so the Doctor must have already bought the House and Car previously*, so he had planned on leaving Amy and Rory in advance of the Events of the God Complex.

*Yes he could have bought them in his Future but he would still have had to pass on the Keys and address to his pre God Complex self and thus his younger self would have to know that he would be leaving Amy/Rory behind.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, she was pregnant in in The Impossible Astronaut, then she gave birth in AGMGTW, so at the end of the God Complex, she knew River was her daughter.
    It's not very complicated. It's in chronological order

Exactly, which is why the house in The God Complex cannot be the house in The Impossible Astronaut, as it's clearly a house they've never been to - the Doctor gave them the keys!

JPartridge wrote: »
    If there's 200 years until they next meet the Doctor then they're probably likely to buy a new house.

200 years for the Doctor, not for them, considering human lifespan is not that long....

For me it simply comes down to this: there is no way that Amy and Rory could have afforded to buy a house prior to The God Complex, and seeing as the Doctor handed them the keys and they looked astounded, it was a present from him. No connection to TIA at all unless we're going to theorise about why he bought them the house and why it was blue, etc!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    It's gotta be their house. Rory went straight into it! He didn't have to ask which one or anything. Although why the doctor had the keys is a mystery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I'm, paraphrasing, but it was definitely words to this effect, and certainly not "It's my house doctor!" or "Why are you giving me front door keys to my own house?". Go back and watch it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b014vy02/?t=42m47s

I did watch it and my opinion still stands. While the beginning of the scene does lead some weight to the argument Rory still walks into the house and grabs champagne to celebrate. Still if the Doctor did buy them the house and do the food shopping for them that is a scene I think would play out pretty hilariously. Plus Amy says to the Doctor 'You can't just drop me off at my house'. Not 'my new house', not 'you can't just expect to buy me a house and leave me.'

Plus (in my opinion anyway) when the Doctor hands Amy the keys its his way of telling Amy that the journey is over. Time to live the 'normal life'.

Still I do concede you could be right. The show is full of surprises.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, which is why the house in The God Complex cannot be the house in The Impossible Astronaut, as it's clearly a house they've never been to - the Doctor gave them the keys!

Okay, the Doctor could have gotten them a new house.
    I still think people are over analysing this. It's just a house.

Were the keys not for the car though?
    I'm watching the episode again later, so I'll find out.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Suchageek wrote: »
    It's gotta be their house. Rory went straight into it! He didn't have to ask which one or anything. Although why the doctor had the keys is a mystery.

How to know which house to go to...

Allocated parking spaces with the house number next to the Jag.

A key ring with the address on it.

Mr and Mrs Williams written on the doorbell*

Amy's dream house that they'd told him about but couldn't afford - like Rory's dream car.

*I'm assuming everyone noticed that he called Amy "Williams" instead of "Pond".
  • QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    Watch it again, the house is definitely a gift as Rory then says 'the car too?'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's both the house and the car. Rory says 'and the car too'

added: Quickfade - simultaneous posting! I see your post just as I hit submit LOL!
  • QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    It's both the house and the car. Rory says 'and the car too'

added: Quickfade - simultaneous posting! I see your post just as I hit submit LOL!

I think the simultaneous bolding did it for me! :D
    Forum Member
    In the bit where Rory talks in the past tense did he say 'I'd forgotten not all victories are about saving the universe? Has something like that line been said before, sounds familiar
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    The whole house thing is explained in this thread http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=52880530&posted=1#post52880530

Basicaly, my theory is that in TGC we saw versions of Amy and Rory back before TIA, And at the start of TIA, when amy and rory are in their house at the start of TIA its the same house that the doctor had given them, just further along in amy and rory's Timeline,
    More details in the link, and any questions will be answered there
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suchageek wrote: »

Rory also said that Amy was going to try and talk the Doctor out of being so generous. If he gave Rory his dream car, it's hardly surprising for him to give Amy a house.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dukeey22 wrote: »
    The whole house thing is explained in this thread http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=52880530&posted=1#post52880530

Basicaly, my theory is that in TGC we saw versions of Amy and Rory back before TIA, And at the start of TIA, when amy and rory are in their house at the start of TIA its the same house that the doctor had given them, just further along in amy and rory's Timeline,
    More details in the link, and any questions will be answered there

So Amy who was pregnant with RiverSong from the impossible astronaut and then for the whole first half of the series lived in a house that was given to her after she had given birth to Riversong in her subjective timeline?
    Are you sure it wasn't just a different house?
    Forum Member
    Yeah I agree, watched it again and both seem to be a gift just is a bit confusing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quickfade wrote: »
    I think the simultaneous bolding did it for me! :D

LOL! I know... I did a double take when I saw yours and thought I'd managed to post the same thing twice.

So right, let me get this straight. Because Amy and Rory were in a house at the start of TIA by a leap some think this house must be the same house. Because, what, they weren't living in a tent when back at home? They had to be somewhere :/ The house was different, it was pre and post baby and so on. There is no reason at all to think it was the same house.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    A question triggered by combining a couple of discussions somewhere in this forum (too many threads all talking about the same thing makes it difficult to keep treack)...

The Doctor gave them a new house - we can only guess what happened to the contents of their old one. Even if we assume the house was rented as fully furnished, their personal possessions would still have been there.

What happened to their goldfish?

It was on the worktop in TIA - in a classic round goldfish bowl, just like the one in the hotel that the Doctor wanted to save.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doctor gave them a new house - we can only guess what happened to the contents of their old one. Even if we assume the house was rented as fully furnished, their personal possessions would still have been there.

Any possessions they wanted to take with them they would have taken to Utah as they thought that note had something to do with the Doctor.

Otherwise they could collect the rest after The God Complex and move house, basically!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any possessions they wanted to take with them they would have taken to Utah as they thought that note had something to do with the Doctor.

Otherwise they could collect the rest after The God Complex and move house, basically!

Also, it has to be presumed that they were staying somewhere between the events of a good man goes to war and let's kill hitler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, it has to be presumed that they were staying somewhere between the events of a good man goes to war and let's kill hitler.

True, and hopefully they had left some stuff in that rented house as the Doctor just took off at the end of AGMGTW with whatever Amy and Rory had brought to Utah still on the TARDIS!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Everyone :)

I've just been looking at a picture of Rory and Amy's new house and I know this has most likely been commented on elsewhere...

... it looks like a paler, brick version of the TARDIS :D