Jake Bugg - Lightning Bolt

Comments

• PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets just hope he isn't invited to perform on X-Factor! He's so much better than that.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,981
    Forum Member
    Lets just hope he isn't invited to perform on X-Factor! He's so much better than that.

Yes :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    He's still at one on Itunes. One on HMV .Two On Play and at 3 on Amazon! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way would he appear on X Factor. Noel Gallagher would dismiss him from the US tour completely for a start.
    Forum Member
    Here's some more about him for those interested. I tried to post the link but i couldn't. It's on google though if you would like to see it.
    Jake Bugg's pretty good year can only get better
    Louis Pattison
    Oct 9, 2012

The year 2012 has, so far, been pretty good to Jake Bugg. There was the night he supported his musical hero, Oasis’s Noel Gallagher, at a War Child concert in London.

There was his song Lightning Bolt, an electric jolt of skiffle-rock 'n' roll, played on the BBC coverage just prior to Usain Bolt smashing the 100 metres record at this year’s Olympics. “Haven’t met him, no – next time, hopefully.”

Oh, and there were the sets at this year’s Reading and Leeds festivals in late August, where the buzz around this 18-year-old singer-songwriter from Nottingham tipped from abstract hype into genuine adulation.

“Obviously they’re the festivals you always dream of playing when you’re younger,” says Bugg. “I think there were two or three thousand in each tent, they were absolutely rammed. That was an incredible feeling.”

Heady stuff, but it would be fair to say that Bugg’s rise is only just beginning. On Monday, he releases his self-titled debut album on Mercury Records – a 14-song collection that places him as the latest in a tradition of working-class British rock musicians stretching back through Oasis and Miles Kane to The Stone Roses, The La’s, and The Beatles.

Jake Bugg is a slightly more nuanced collection than that implies, though. Alongside chippy lad-rock numbers such as Taste It and Trouble Town, Bugg has a talent for acoustic and finger-picked folk and country numbers such as Simple as This and Country Song that owe a debt of influence to the likes of Donovan and Bob Dylan.

“I wanted to have stuff on there with more of a band feel and stuff that’s softer, more melancholic,” says Bugg, “For me, that’s a nice mix.”

Jake Bugg was born in 1994 – the week Oasis’s debut album Definitely Maybe was at number one in the UK album charts – in Clifton, Nottingham. With about 20,000 residents, Clifton used to be the biggest council estate in Europe and while it is immortalised in Bugg’s Trouble Town as a place to escape (“Stuck in speedbump city/Where the only thing that’s pretty/Is the thought of getting out”), today he’s more forgiving of his home city. “It wasn’t exactly a bad place to grow up … it has its good bits and bad bits. I might leave Clifton, but I’d like to stay based in Nottingham.”

Bugg got his first guitar at the age of 12 and while his peers were listening to N-Dubz and Tinie Tempah, he found himself on a different path, eagerly ploughing through the back catalogues of Oasis, Led Zeppelin, folky musicians such as John Martyn and Nick Drake, and the Delta bluesmen.

He played his first gig at school at 14 and started gigging on the Nottingham circuit a year later, where he was spotted by BBC Introducing and plucked to play that stage at Glastonbury last year.

Things since have taken a surreal turn. Bugg has supported the Stone Roses, met Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page and Sir Elton John is, reportedly, a fan. How does he keep his feet on the ground? “I’m just chuffing along, to be honest, taking every day as it comes,” he says.“I’m grateful for the opportunity to be able to make my music and get it out there. You know, you just get with it, don’t you?”
    Forum Member
    ^ I'm fast becoming a big fan of this guy :)
    Forum Member
    Couldn't wait to be paid so I've just ordered a copy of the album from Amazon :)
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Couldn't wait to be paid so I've just ordered a copy of the album from Amazon :)[/QUOTE]

I`m on board,he`s had some great reviews,but I`ll have to wait to get paid before I can buy it.:)
    Forum Member
    My copy has been dispatched. According to the order, it should be here tomorrow.
  • Tarriq IbrahimTarriq Ibrahim Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Snapped up tickets for me and my mates (who have never heard of him) to see him at 53 Degrees in Preston next Feb for just £13 each. Not been this excited by a solo artist in a long time
  • LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate him
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate him

"LeonaLewisJfan"

LOL:D:p Leona can go sit in a corner with her team of songwriters.
    Forum Member
    Jake is still number one on today's Midweeks.
    JAMES INGHAM
    @JAMESINREHAB
    New entries in album midweeks: 1) Jake Bugg 2) Leona Lewis 4) Bat For Lashes. 7) Rebecca Ferguson 10) Bellowhead 61) Brandy. #albummidweeks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, love his sound. Just paid a visit to ITunes :)
    Forum Member
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's easy to see who and what his influences are. I agree with a previous poster in that he isn't just a Dylan-ite there's also a lot of Johnny Cash in there too.

For an 18 year old to be doing this stuff in this musical climate I'm very impressed. I really liked Lightning Bolt after just a few seconds. I look forward to seeing how he gets on in the future.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's easy to see who and what his influences are. I agree with a previous poster in that he isn't just a Dylan-ite there's also a lot of Johnny Cash in there too.

For an 18 year old to be doing this stuff in this musical climate I'm very impressed. I really liked Lightning Bolt after just a few seconds. I look forward to seeing how he gets on in the future.

I'm also getting a bit of Richard Ashcroft. And yes, a nice antidote the all the usual chart guff.
    Forum Member
    I finally worked out how to post videos. :D Here is my fave of the moment Trouble Town.

http://youtu.be/WTM9rV8uKpI

Taste It
    http://youtu.be/VHLN6K640gQ

Two Fingers.

http://youtu.be/VHLN6K640gQ
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    I'm also getting a bit of Richard Ashcroft. And yes, a nice antidote the all the usual chart guff.

don't ruin things;)
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't ruin things;)

Only a bit!
    Forum Member
    I just read on Buzz jack that Jake has increased his lead and is now 4k in front of two.:D That's fantastic news for him.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxit wrote: »
    I just read on Buzz jack that Jake has increased his lead and is now 4k in front of two.:D That's fantastic news for him.

it is, and iv'e just added myself to the sales statistics today. After 1 listen it's already obvious it's a very mature album for 18
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    So delighted he's holding #1. I really think he's going to do it, as Leona's sales will have been very frontloaded due to her large fanbase, and Jake is the opposite - even in this thread you can see that word of mouth is causing his fanbase to grow day by day. It makes sense that he might be extending his lead!

Really falling in love with the album. It's one of my favourites of the year along with Michael Kiwanuka and Mumfords.
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unexpectedly love this album. So many great songs. There is a touch of Bob Dylan and Jonny Cash about him. Really great discovery and I had never heard of the kid a few days ago.