Soap characters that never interract

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone noticed that there are certain characters in soaps that never talk to each other or are even on-screen together?

Until recently Deidre and Gail in Coronation Street never seemed to talk at all, that was broken by David's involvement in Tracy's murder trial.

In EastEnders I also seem to remember that Sharon and Kat never seemed to say anything to each other at all either. Also to my knowledge the two middle-class psychos May and Stella have never met at all! I doubt they will now before May leaves soon.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poplar wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that there are certain characters in soaps that never talk to each other or are even on-screen together?

Until recently Deidre and Gail in Coronation Street never seemed to talk at all, that was broken by David's involvement in Tracy's murder trial.

In EastEnders I also seem to remember that Sharon and Kat never seemed to say anything to each other at all either. Also to my knowledge the two middle-class psychos May and Stella have never met at all! I doubt they will now before May leaves soon.
    As does Stella I think
    I don`t think Ian and Denise have ever spoken in Eastenders but come to think of it he hasn`t spoken to quite a few of the characters: May, Shirley, Deano etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As does Stella I think
    I don`t think Ian and Denise have ever spoken in Eastenders but come to think of it he hasn`t spoken to quite a few of the characters: May, Shirley, Deano etc

Ian and Denise have spoken loads, in the Cafe. He's spoken to all of the others you mention too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always noted & never understood why Dot Cotton & Nana Moon never interacted much at all - I don't recall any words between them, but i reckon they could have made a good few comedy lines between them...pity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian and Denise have spoken loads, in the Cafe. He's spoken to all of the others you mention too.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the cafe!! :):)
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    The Gail/Deirdre one was quite weird since they both lived on the same street for over 30 years!!

Did they ever interract in the early days??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poplar wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the actresses had a big feud and didn't get on, do you think that's why they didn't give them many/any scenes?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    me-jimbob wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the actresses had a big feud and didn't get on, do you think that's why they didn't give them many/any scenes?

Perhaps. I think EastEnders on average has more interraction between characters than Corrie does - mainly as its a smaller cast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member
    erm... what about Stella and Jane since Stella acused Lucy of having alcohol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason and Fiz
    Sarah and Fiz
    Rosie Webster and Devs Daughter
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yolande and Phil Mitchell never talk, but then again, Yolande is hardly ever on screen!
    Charlie Slater and Minty don't talk either
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reem14 wrote: »
    Charlie Slater and Minty don't talk either

Charlie once attacked Minty for making a joke about one of the Slater girls.
  • hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks used to be the biggest culprit in this case but its much better in that sense nowadays :)
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always noted & never understood why Dot Cotton & Nana Moon never interacted much at all - I don't recall any words between them, but i reckon they could have made a good few comedy lines between them...pity.

They would have been a great double act!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    This isn't very common in soaps as it was before. But Patrick has never spoken to Lucy Beale. Ben Mitchell has never spoken to Stacey Slater.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Sean has spoken to May. And I don't think May has spoken to Chelsea or Libby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Corrie, I don't think Kevin has spoke to Paul or Liam Connor. Audrey has never spoken to Amber. Bill Webster has never spoken to any of the Mortons. David Platt has never spoken to Paul or Michelle Connor, and I don't think he's spoken to Ryan either.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Peggy and Preeti EE
  • circling girlcircling girl Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Soap characters that never interract

You know, come to think of it, I don't think Harold Bishop from Neighbours and Rhys from Hollyoaks have ever had a conversation!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah this is a bit freaky as I was thinking about this yesterday. I thought of loads yesterday but I can't remember them now.

In Hollyoaks I've noticed that the students seem a bit isolated from the rest of the village. They are hardly ever involved in storylines with people other than fellow students. For example when was the last time you saw Kris, Zac, Zoe or Jess talk to Tina McQueen etc.

Have Blanche and Liam been in a scene together in Corrie? I'm not sure.

May in EastEnders is the local GP but she only ever seemed to know a select few from the Square. Does this mean most of the main characters are hardly ever ill?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, come to think of it, I don't think Harold Bishop from Neighbours and Rhys from Hollyoaks have ever had a conversation!

pmsl :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Peggy and Preeti EE

they've spoken...its only a few weeks ago that the beale and mitchell women had the full works at Tanyas salon.
  • FonzeFonze Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    In Corrie, I don't think Kevin has spoke to Paul or Liam Connor. Audrey has never spoken to Amber. Bill Webster has never spoken to any of the Mortons. David Platt has never spoken to Paul or Michelle Connor, and I don't think he's spoken to Ryan either.

Bill has spoken to Jodie when Bill & Jason were building the takeaway.
  • nudge nudgenudge nudge Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE characters need a wider pool of people to interact with, generally. This is why they often find it hard to get new people to fit in with the established characters.

It's like Dot and Pat, they barely spoke for ages... then there was a whole episode around them discussing why they didn't like each other and Dot being quite judgmental of Pat. She still seems to look down on her, which doesn't really seem like Dot or make sense?

It annoys me that Stacey only really interacts with Slaters and Brannings (or occasionally Deano), and Foxes don't talk to anyone except Wickses (or Sean). It would be silly if everyone was best friends/worst enemies with each other, of course, but I think lack of interaction and always seeing the same people with the same people is why EastEnders is lacking much 'heart' as a soap right now.

That episode where Phil, Kevin and Max in the pub was so good precisely because they're strong characters that new never really saw speak to each other before.
  • TywysogTywysog Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    EE characters need a wider pool of people to interact with, generally. This is why they often find it hard to get new people to fit in with the established characters.

It's like Dot and Pat, they barely spoke for ages... then there was a whole episode around them discussing why they didn't like each other and Dot being quite judgmental of Pat. She still seems to look down on her, which doesn't really seem like Dot or make sense?

It annoys me that Stacey only really interacts with Slaters and Brannings (or occasionally Deano), and Foxes don't talk to anyone except Wickses (or Sean). It would be silly if everyone was best friends/worst enemies with each other, of course, but I think lack of interaction and always seeing the same people with the same people is why EastEnders is lacking much 'heart' as a soap right now.

That episode where Phil, Kevin and Max in the pub was so good precisely because they're strong characters that new never really saw speak to each other before.

The Character Interaction has been great since Dietrich Santer took over though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,573
    Forum Member
    Denise Wicks has interracted with the Millers and Tanya Branning recently also with the Truemans. Chelsea interacts with quite a few people at the salon so the Foxes do interact with others.

Peggy spoke to Preeti at her 65th birthday party.

Has Bradley ever spoken to Phil?