Options

Cat Cremation Costs?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
Forum Member
In a couple of hours I'm taking my much loved cat to be put to sleep as she has been very poorly and is not going to get better. :(:(

All my previous cats I've let the vet dispose of the body afterwards, but I would like to cremate her if possible so I can scatter her ashes. Can anyone give me a rough idea of cost for this (have tried to google it but it seems to vary quite widely)

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea but just want to say how sorry I am that you are having to get your girl PTS, obviously you know it's the kindest thing to do but it's horrible none the less.

Cremating is a lovely idea - and I know plenty of people (when they feel up to it) plant a flower / rose bush etc in honour of their lost pet.

Hope it isn't too horrible for you... Kitty has has a wonderful life with you and you'll always have your memories ;)
  • Options
    JoleneJolene Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MigMogMash wrote: »
    In a couple of hours I'm taking my much loved cat to be put to sleep as she has been very poorly and is not going to get better. :(:(

All my previous cats I've let the vet dispose of the body afterwards, but I would like to cremate her if possible so I can scatter her ashes. Can anyone give me a rough idea of cost for this (have tried to google it but it seems to vary quite widely)

Thats a good question

Just rang my local vets just said to put to sleep and private cremation with them would be £166.29, they would give the ashes back to you in a personalised box (with her name on it) to scatter or bury.

Or theres Summerleaze Pet Crematorium in newport Wales who you'd take the cat to and they would Cremate and give back to you.
    (01633 881652 )
    I dont know where you live but you could ring just to get a rough costs?

I am so so so so sorry for your loss :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we lost one of our cats a few weeks ago - he was very old and just came home curled up on the settee and went to sleep with my OH stroking him, we took him to our local woods where he loved to play & buried him there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I've no idea but just want to say how sorry I am that you are having to get your girl PTS, obviously you know it's the kindest thing to do but it's horrible none the less.

Cremating is a lovely idea - and I know plenty of people (when they feel up to it) plant a flower / rose bush etc in honour of their lost pet.

Hope it isn't too horrible for you... Kitty has has a wonderful life with you and you'll always have your memories ;)

Thank you, it's definitely the right thing to do but I always get so upset when it's their time :( I've only had her for 18mths as she was an elderly rescue cat who had a lot of health issues (I fostered her from my work initially then decided to keep her) She's been a very loving lap cat for all that time though and seemed to appreciate some love :)
    Jolene wrote: »
    Thats a good question

Just rang my local vets just said to put to sleep and private cremation with them would be £166.29, they would give the ashes back to you in a personalised box (with her name on it) to scatter or bury.

Or theres Summerleaze Pet Crematorium in newport Wales who you'd take the cat to and they would Cremate and give back to you.
    (01633 881652 )
    I dont know where you live but you could ring just to get a rough costs?

I am so so so so sorry for your loss :cry::cry::cry:

Thank you for taking the time to ring/research for me, that's very kind :) I didn't trust myself to ask my vets over the phone as I'm very likely to cry atm :o Will have another look once it's been done. Hopefully my vet will be willing to store her (yuk) for a couple of days till I've decided what to do.
    welwynrose wrote: »
    we lost one of our cats a few weeks ago - he was very old and just came home curled up on the settee and went to sleep with my OH stroking him, we took him to our local woods where he loved to play & buried him there

In some ways I think it's easier when they pass on in their sleep or at home (although very upsetting none the less) The umming and ahhing over 'is it time' is horrible :( The burial place sounded perfect for your cat too. I'm sorry for your loss xxx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    I had my 21 yr old mog pts in Feb & the vet said cremation cost would be £70. When the pet crem rang me to say I could collect his ashes it turned out that there was an additional fee for them collecting him from the vet and yet another fee for the little casket (unless I wanted to just have him home in a "little brown envelope" :eek:) All in all it came to £150.

I didn't grudge it for a second but it was a bit of a shock the bill more than doubling from what the vet had said!! It's a good job I had the money ... I'd have hated to have been in the position where I didn't have it!

My son (who is the same age as the cat) was snowed in, in Ireland when my mog's time came & my vet held on to him for a couple of days so as my son could go & see him & say his goodbyes when he got home. I had so hoped he would hold on until my son got home but it wouldn't have been fair on him to keep him going any longer.

I feel for you MMM ... it's such a difficult thing to have to do ... even when we know it's for the best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, I had a large breed dog cremated a few years ago now and it all came to £229 (inc someone bringing the ashes in a nice casket to my home) so I hope a cat will be somewhat cheaper! I didn't begrudge a penny though, I couldn't bear to have my lovely dog disposed of by the vet and I had no garden at the time to bury him in :( . I found it to be a very valuable service as it gives you choices and time to think. You can also take your time in deciding where to scatter the ashes - or even if you want to keep them, you can do so.

I am so sorry that you are facing this, take care.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I had to have one of mine PTS about 3 years ago.

He had been ill for a while. I got home from work one night and could just tell it wasn't fair and took him (in floods) to the vet.

When I came out after watching them do the deed and went to pay, they asked would I like his ashes. which would be £100. I had no idea they could charge that much and having no time to think (and wanting to get out of there)did'nt pay. They said he would be scattered in a communial area.

That was fine until I got home and realised I could have bought him home and buried him! I was so upset. I felt I had abondoned him.

I think it's emotional blackmail:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    So sorry to hear what you will be going through today.

Last May I had Simeon put to sleep. I had the vet come to the house on a Saturday but I let her take his body away for a communal cremation. I regretted it almost as soon as she took him though.

I felt like I had almost disposed of him. I was gutted that I hadn't kept him with me for even just half an hour or so after her was put to sleep, and then taken him myself for an individual cremation.

The following day, feeling even worse, I rang the emergency number at the crematorium and asked if they had collected him. They hadn't so I asked that they cremate him seperately and give me his ashes, something I never thought I would want.

He's in a wooden urn, shaped like a sleeping cat, no one knows what it is unless I tell them.

To have him put to sleep at home out of hours, an individual cremation and the wooden urn cost £165.

I collected him from the vets a few days later and the urn had the words cremation ashes or something similar plastered all over the package in large type. It was a good job I didn't have to take him home on the bus!

They also gave me a certificate, like you would get at a childs sports day which said. This is to certify that Simeon, beloved pet of ***** ***** was cremated on 3 June 2008 :eek:

Apparently some people like to frame and hang them! There are some very nice ornaments for pet ashes if you google them. They don't look at all like urns.

I didn't begrudge a penny of it and not having a garden meant I couldn't bury him here.
  • Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It cost me about £85 to have my cat Brooks cremated and returned to me in a little box. It's been almost 3 years now and I still have them as I can't get rid of them. I think I will soon.
  • Options
    katie_pkatie_p Posts: 10,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't bear to bury my cat when she died, or have her communally cremated, so she was individually cremated for £150. They did a lovely job though, and the ashes were put inside a wooden cat like this: http://www.cpccares.com/images/general/caskets-urns/large/sleeping-cat.jpg

I think I will always keep it, although initially I assumed I would have to scatter the ashes at some point. Losing Honey hit me very hard because I had her most of my life- she was born the day before my eighth birthday, and lived just over nineteen years. She was such a lovely cat, and everywhere I go I expect to see her. Having the casket is a comfort somehow.
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It cost me about £85 to have my cat Brooks cremated and returned to me in a little box. It's been almost 3 years now and I still have them as I can't get rid of them. I think I will soon.

It cost me around that amount too. Back to me in a personalised box - I then buried that in his favourite spot in our garden. Brings back some happy (and sad) memories of him.