Salamander-BBC4 Pace - Belgium Crime thriller

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been realy enjoying this, been great to watch. Cant wait for the fianle. BBC4 is a oasis in a dessert of dross.

:)

"FIANIE" what's one of those?
    :confused:
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    officials for e7/e8

1 SALAMANDER (SAT 2101) 1,167
    2 SALAMANDER (SAT 2148) 1,112

K
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find Salamander comparible to the other foreign stuff we see (The Bridge, Spiral, Borgen etc), so I personally never find myself trying to comapre it to any of them as the whole landscape/feel/mood of the shows are different, as of course the story is too. Generally I think this is a good watch. I'm not gripped to it like I was series 1 of The Killing or most of the series of Spiral and The Bridge, but I think it's very watchable nevertheless.

And as for whether it is believable whether the actress that plays Paul's daughter is convincing enough, I think she is, and I think she looks young enough while probably looking grown up enough too (as strange as that sounds). Away from tv and film, some girls (granted not all) have managed to look older than their years even when I was a teen. I would have people presuming I was a University student when I was studying GCSEs (and this was without being caked in makeup or dressing up like a skimpy secretary). Sometimes there are just some girls that (whether just the face, or just the body, or both) can develop physically quicklu at a young age. We had a girl at our Primary School that was ridiculously developed at such an early stage, she got her period then and had a difficult time in class if you consider lots of the boys looked uber young for their age and where yet to even develop in any physical form (in opposite contrast) and had a girl their age with a very visbile chest area amongst them to make fun of. It's not unrealistic for girls to look older than they are, and sometimes far an away older than they are (which can be quite shocking). Of course, some can look their age or look younger too, no disputing that either. I think Sophie (in Salamander) looks just right actually. She looks young but also phsyically of an apearance that you could say she was (physically) develoing into a young woman. If I had just seen a picture of her in a magazine (without having seen Salamander and knowing she was cast as a school girl) I would have put her between 16-21 (just because girls (I know now, or knew in previous years) could look more or less the same during this period whether one is 16 and another 21. In fact Nicola immediately reminded me of girls when I was in Secondayr School with the short skirt, fitted shirt and the whole demeanour really. I think they're both cast fine, personally. European shows I've seen, generally speaking, I think cast school student types abit better than some of the say American film/TV shows, like Beverley Hills (both), Grease, The Breakfast Club Buffy. I always thought Skins (Uk show did well to only pick actors from a small age pool so as not to be too far an away from the age group they were playing. (sorry very off tangent).
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    Of course, some can look their age or look younger too, no disputing that either. I think Sophie (in Salamander) looks just right actually.

Yes I have always looked younger (mainly due to being petite) which was annoying as a teenager but it doesn't bother me so much these days!
  • Mel O'DramaMel O'Drama Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    'Whoever signed off on Vincent Noel`s suit and hair deserves a slap. Or several.'

Te-He.

Never trust a man with a shiny suit a slicked back hair. Not a great look, bad choice.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Getting to be a bit of a trudge now. Cut in half it would have been quite pacey but it`s dragging......

Whoever signed off on Vincent Noel`s suit and hair deserves a slap. Or several.

I agree, watching the latest episodes I had that feeling that we had been down this road before.
    Also every time the camera pans there seems to be someone lurking, plus a used car salesman circa 1987 who seems destined for high office.
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I'm steadfastly sitting through this in the hope that it will get better but now I just want to know what happens in the end. At least it's the last two episodes next week, and, as it's subtitled, I don't have to worry too much about whether they're bad actors or not. I think it's because they are all underplaying it and look bored because of it. All except mister evil in the false beard - he's just odd.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been watchable, but frustrating at times, not sure I'd make the effort for a series 2.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    capekdeh wrote: »
    I think the ending will be disappointing. Too many coincidences.

Some of the characters are not believable either (especially, that Vincent Noel guy).

I'll watch it to the end but honestly, it is just an OK-ish show. The only reason I keep watching is because I enjoy some "cultural education" every Saturday night.

It's passed 45 minutes twice-a-week so I guess it's ok. I usually record it and watch an episode on Monday or Tuesday and the following episode on Wednesday or Thursday. It's not really gripping but parts of it have been unintentionally hilarious e.g. the bizarre coincidences. As I've said before, it's a long way from The Bridge. Much more conventional, badly acted and badly plotted.

I'd watch another series of it though so I guess it can't be that bad.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hoping the shiny suited naughty boy Vincent Noel goes man o mano with Mr Evil ( whose name I can't remember. You know Mr Evil - the one who engaged in post-coital strangulation).

If you mean the chief bank robber who's working with Gil Wulfs I think his name is Joachim Klaus
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vincent Noel and Joachim Klaus - ideal house guests for a psychopathic Belgian Christmas :eek:
  • beaky29beaky29 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Personally, all I want to know is what happens at the end! No spoilers to be found!!!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,411
    Forum Member
    Hoping the shiny suited naughty boy Vincent Noel goes man o mano with Mr Evil ( whose name I can't remember. You know Mr Evil - the one who engaged in post-coital strangulation). Given the situation I'm surprised that none of the protagonists seem to anticipate danger - very teen horror movies lol. Silly old Persigal not to have covered his ass with a kill me and suffer the consequences plan! Hopefully thick as shit Geralidi will now put the pieces together and Gils Wolf will turn out to be a good guy getting revenge for the framing of his father by Jonkhere senior. Paul, Sophie and Patricia get an happy ending. :D
    'Whoever signed off on Vincent Noel`s suit and hair deserves a slap. Or several.'

Te-He.

Never trust a man with a shiny suit a slicked back hair. Not a great look, bad choice.

Come to think of it, he'd be the ideal host for either of those two spiv shopping channels, Bid TV or Price Drop.
    KennyT wrote: »
    officials for e7/e8

1 SALAMANDER (SAT 2101) 1,167
    2 SALAMANDER (SAT 2148) 1,112

K

Those are good figures and hopefully it'll encourage more people to regularly tune in to the 9pm Saturday Eurocrime slot on BBC4. :)
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And vain with it... although, if you deliberately dress like he (his character) does, clearly he's over-analysed his look in a way that is nothing but rampant vanity. Vincent is a bit of a pantomine dame... :D
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Te-He.

Never trust a man with a shiny suit a slicked back hair.
    Not a great look, bad choice.

Job done, then.:cool:
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salamander has been a great series. Love it.

Looking forward to the final eps.
  • droopsnoutdroopsnout Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've watched the episodes on iPlayer and have been engrossed. No, it's not perfect, and yes, there have been too many coincidences for the story to be totally convincing, but I have never found it slow or tedious.

The story is, as far as I know, an original one and the plot has been gripping.

Looking forward very much to the final two instalments.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've managed to stick with it to see how it turns out, but I've never seen such an unprepossessing hero - he's just deathly, like stone, completely unconnected.

Does it look like I have trouble finding words to describe my impression of him? I do.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Anyone who fancies another Belgian crime drama, 'Bullhead' is on Film4, Thursday 22.50-01.15.

It's in Flemish/French subs, but I have no idea what it's like, I just saw it listed while browsing the TV guide. I'll give it a go though.
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who fancies another Belgian crime drama, 'Bullhead' is on Film4, Thursday 22.50-01.15.

It's in Flemish/French subs, but I have no idea what it's like, I just saw it listed while browsing the TV guide. I'll give it a go though.

If the subs are in Flemish/French how are most of us going to understand it? :o
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Franglais wrote: »
    If the subs are in Flemish/French how are most of us going to understand it? :o

I meant to say it's in Flemish/French, with subs in English.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    parthena wrote: »
    I've managed to stick with it to see how it turns out, but I've never seen such an unprepossessing hero - he's just deathly, like stone, completely unconnected.

Salamander doesn't really have anyone to root for, but no shortage of characters you want to see get their comeuppance.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthena wrote: »

Does it look like I have trouble finding words to describe my impression of him? I do.

Yeah this is the exact problem I have with him - can't really say much about him as a character after 10 eps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    19Nick68 wrote: »
    It's been watchable, but frustrating at times, not sure I'd make the effort for a series 2.

There won't be a series 2 but bizarrely they are planning to make one or two sequel movies (even though there's really nothing to base a sequel on after the last episode).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Woodentop wrote: »
    This is desperately poor. It's clear 12 episodes was far too many and the big hurrah can't come soon enough.

Hear hear. Salamander is an embarassment to good television. It's an untypical genre for Flemish TV (conspiracy thriller) but it's done so badly on all levels it beggars belief. I wonder how drunk the BBC representatives were when they decided to acquire this unmitigated garbage.