Are you glad you want for Xbox One?

13»

Comments

• MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 360 GPU, RAM solution and overall bandwidth absoluety hammered the PS3. Why are people so reluctant to admit this? Everyone is happy to talk about this fact for the PS4 and X1 but not 360 and PS3?? Even today multiplatform games are showing the differences in hardware, parity was never reached, even with 8 years of familiarity.

No it never lol. While the Xbox 360 had a slightly better GPU, the Cell made up that gap. Memory was near enough the same but the PS3 had superfast system memory which the GPU could borrow. The CPU was much better on the PS3. All this points to why everyone says the PS3 was better graphically than the Xbox 360.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I picked the Xbox one based on the controller.

The triggers are a bit sensitive but apart from that it is perfect for my little paw hands.

Exclusive are looking much better on the One as well, for now anyway.

Xbox live is clearly miles better than psplus.

In terms of all this fps and gpu, ram, cpu stuff, I don't really quite understand it so I'd only be parroting what I read. Games are going to look better on a ps4 though from what I understand.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At a cost though.

As I understand it, if developers want to use that 7th core then it means they can't use in-game voice commands and it shuts down the Kinect motion sensors. Fair enough, as most games don't use them. But if the user decides to use a system-level voice command such as "Xbox record that" the OS grabs 50% of that 7th core back from the game which is going to hit game performance. Developers can't even account for that, as the current SDK a doesn't let them know how much of that core they are using.

Not exactly ideal for Kinect users. Not that it matters to me as I don't have one, and at £130 I'm not ever likely to.

Something else to think about though - there's talk of developers embracing GPGPU in the coming years, and that's an area that PS4 is really going to excel at. When it comes to the parity, this CPU tinkering may well count for nothing in the end.

The games it would be for would prob be non Kinect based ones though. It remains to be seen if Kinect will still be around in 3 or 4 years if MS release a Xbox One slim or something. PS4 seems to be going for Project Morpheus which could fill that Kinect void last time which helped Xbox sales towards the end of the consoles lifespan.
  • TechnoGeekTechnoGeek Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I"m glad i have all four consoles X1 Xbox 360 PS3 & PS4 spoilt for choice, also got a Vita.
    But to me there"s nothing separate the X1 & PS4 both excellant consoles with there own exclusives.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The games it would be for would prob be non Kinect based ones though. It remains to be seen if Kinect will still be around in 3 or 4 years if MS release a Xbox One slim or something. PS4 seems to be going for Project Morpheus which could fill that Kinect void last time which helped Xbox sales towards the end of the consoles lifespan.

What? Did you even read my post?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At a cost though.

As I understand it, if developers want to use that 7th core then it means they can't use in-game voice commands and it shuts down the Kinect motion sensors. Fair enough, as most games don't use them. But if the user decides to use a system-level voice command such as "Xbox record that" the OS grabs 50% of that 7th core back from the game which is going to hit game performance. Developers can't even account for that, as the current SDK a doesn't let them know how much of that core they are using.

Not exactly ideal for Kinect users. Not that it matters to me as I don't have one, and at £130 I'm not ever likely to.

Something else to think about though - there's talk of developers embracing GPGPU in the coming years, and that's an area that PS4 is really going to excel at. When it comes to the parity, this CPU tinkering may well count for nothing in the end.

I wish the original Digital Foundry article had been clearer regarding the "extra" core.

MS had already given developers access to "10% of GPU resources" with the June XDK, an option that came with sacrificing all Kinect functions other than system-level voice commands.

So... is this "extra" core just an expansion of that?

Also, regarding Kinect...

Has anyone else noticed that with certain games (e.g. Shadow of Mordor, DA:I, Halo), the Kinect camera lights will turn off in game and turn back on when the game is paused?

Is that because the games are making use of the extra resources, or is my Kinect playing up in a strange way?
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I wish the original Digital Foundry article had been clearer regarding the "extra" core.

MS had already given developers access to "10% of GPU resources" with the June XDK, an option that came with sacrificing all Kinect functions other than system-level voice commands.

So... is this "extra" core just an expansion of that?

Also, regarding Kinect...

Has anyone else noticed that with certain games (e.g. Shadow of Mordor, DA:I, Halo), the Kinect camera lights will turn off in game and turn back on when the game is paused?

Is that because the games are making use of the extra resources, or is my Kinect playing up in a strange way?

As you suspect it will be due to the game using some of the resources previously held for Kinect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Despite coming from the 360, some of those early decisions by Microsoft around DRM etc almost took me to the darkside, but thankfully they reversed many of them and after hands on with both controllers, and preferring some of the MS exclusives and Live I decided to stay with Xbox.

A majority of my friends have also gone for the Xbox One (although most had 360's) but I can understand why some of those early mistakes by Microsoft made some people jump ship.

The difference in the tech is minimal although I accept the PS4 has the advantage, hopefully all the new consoles get good games which is the important thing and competition between MS and Sony is healthy imo.

Here's to an exciting 2015 for all of us gamers :)
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like racing games so picking XBone over PS4 was a no brainer for me.

The only racing game exclusive to PS4 at launch was delayed for a year and then came out lacking features. At the moment there isn't a reason for me to buy the other console except to have it gather dust in the corner while waiting for a game I like to be released on it.
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    If you asked me a week again, I'd have said yes I'm happy I got an Xbox 1 but as things stand I think I'm one more error or glitch away from seriously considering a return

Random quits to the dashboard during games meaning I have to do entire levels again, games just refusing to load when I start them up, the dashboard freezing meaning I have to hard reset the console, Apps just not working as they are supposed or, error codes that request you input them on xbox.com only to be told that error code doesn't even exist (well it ****ing does it's on my TV screen)

It's beyond unacceptable when I've had more errors in a month on Xbox 1 then I have in a year on PS4

Agree with the bits in bold.

There are quite a few things with the X1 that I find very frustrating. I am not on often, and when I DO get on, it will NEVER be without a glitch or flaw. I don't think turning it off, softly, without hard rebooting works as smoothly as it should do. Whenever I come back on, it's like a gremlin came on the dashboard and went nuts! >:(