cat not eating - vet says this is probably the end

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a hard decision to make.
    On one side you want to keep your pet, on the other side you do not want to see her suffer.
    You will make the right choice, I am sure.
    Chin up...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caterpillar, I hope I can identify with how you're feeling.
    I had my old cat pts last year after a short illness when she totally stppped eating anything.
    I tried everything I knew to make her eat: tuna, chicken, prawns, steak: the works.
    When all had failed and she was reduced to being a shadow of the proud old girl she'd always been since I'd first known her I knew what I had to do.
    I really really hope you can coax her into eating something. Persuading my other cat to eat when she'd turned her face to the wall remains one of my proudest achievements but cats are cats and however lovely, they can be complete nightmares to care for! I love mine to bits but curse them virtuallly daily too!
    Hope whatever happens you cope OK with it.
    Losing a pet is like losing a family member. If it's not you didn't deserve to own them imo.
    Take care.
  • davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our rescue cat is on hunger strike as well. Went through a period of vomiting so took her to the vet. £500 later and after a battery of tests they have no idea. If you google the problem some cats just starve themselves, short of force feeding with a syringe there is little you can do. We think our cat is around 15, so maybe a bit young to think of mental illness associated with old age but there is no physical cause.

Keeping water and fresh food available and giving them affection is about all you can do, I fear mine has decided to fade away.
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so sorry to hear about your cat caterpillar.

What a horrible decision you have to make, this is the worse part of having pets and their is nothing really that can make it any easier..they really do become such a huge part of our lives
    You know your cat better than anybody, so I'm sure you'll make the right choice
    take care x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is our patient this morning? Any improvement?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    elke21 wrote: »
    How is our patient this morning? Any improvement?

Hello, elke, thanks for asking.

Unfortunately she's been much worse since coming back from the vets last night. She's barely moved and when she does move she just staggers around and lies down in odd places. She seems confused just not herself at all.

She hasn't eaten or drunk anything. I gave her some cat milk using the syringe. But then decided it was better to leave her be in her last hours than try to force food down her.

So I'm off to the vet in a few hours and, unless there's some sort of miracle, I think that's it. Meanwhile she's lying at my feet on her favourite mat in a nice warm spot.
    Forum Member
    Thanks emmeline, davidseven and rosemary (and others) for your concern. It's comforting to hear from people who understand how much a cat can mean.

Hope your cat starts eating again soon, davidseven. I tried a bit of syringe feeding last night but then decided it was better to let her have some peace in her last hours.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, elke, thanks for asking.

Unfortunately she's been much worse since coming back from the vets last night. She's barely moved and when she does move she just staggers around and lies down in odd places. She seems confused just not herself at all.

She hasn't eaten or drunk anything. I gave her some cat milk using the syringe. But then decided it was better to leave her be in her last hours than try to force food down her.

So I'm off to the vet in a few hours and, unless there's some sort of miracle, I think that's it. Meanwhile she's lying at my feet on her favourite mat in a nice warm spot.

Oh dear - poor thing!!!

The exact same thing happened with my cat who was 18 years of age when we had her put to sleep. She had the same thyroid problem, she also developed cystitis (which was horrid as it distressed her so much). She was given a steriod injection which managed to prolong her life by a few months but in the end we had to let her go.

I feel for you OP and we are going back a few years with my cat so fingers crossed for that miracle. However sometimes it is in the cat's best interest to let them go before they really begin to suffer.

Fingers crossed for today, but if the worst does happen please know that it's the kinder option for the cat that you love!! Sorry to be so pessimistic btw...
    Forum Member
    Oh dear - poor thing!!!

Fingers crossed for today, but if the worst does happen please know that it's the kinder option for the cat that you love!! Sorry to be so pessimistic btw...

No need to apologise, you're quite right, it's just taking me a bit of time to come to terms with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need to apologise, you're quite right, it's just taking me a bit of time to come to terms with it.

I mean it though, I am sure you are pretty upset as things are so I didn't want to make you feel any worse.

Your cat has had a wonderfully long life but I know that doesn't make it any easier. When we got our girl put to sleep I'd had her in my life longer than I'd had my youngest brother and sister :eek:

As I say fingers crossed......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is she not drinking water either i know when my cat was ill which was frequently i had to have him pts before he was 4 the vet said drinking water is the most important thing did the vet try you on convalescent cat food my ossie stayed on that for ages in the end
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear that your cat is still so poorly. As she hasn't eaten or drunk anything she's probably quite dehydrated & feeling very unwell. The fact that she's staggering around or very still also suggests that she's very ill.

I know that it's very dificult to come to terms with the fact that one of our beloved pets will no longer be around, but I'm sure that you'll know what to do when the time comes.

I hope it's not bad news at the vets too.
  • jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds as tho you have done everthing in your power to help your wee friend. Lets hope theres some improvement later today.

Chin up
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe for an animal, the only way they can "let themselves go", as it were, is by not eating, and they somehow know that. Instinct tells them that they're interested in the food, but something higher up in the brain over-rules it. No idea if that's possible, but I have seen animals just "decide" to die when they thought it was right.
    Forum Member
    Well news from the vet was not good - the x-rays suggested a tumour or something similar. Having seen her deteriorate so much in the past 12 hours it was a relatively easy decision to go ahead with having her put to sleep.

The vet was so considerate about explaining everything and giving us plenty of time alone with her to say goodbye. It's so hard coming back to an empty house and I can't believe I won't see her again. But at least I know it was the best thing for her. Hearing your thoughts and experiences helped with that, so thanks very much for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well news from the vet was not good - the x-rays suggested a tumour or something similar. Having seen her deteriorate so much in the past 12 hours it was a relatively easy decision to go ahead with having her put to sleep.

The vet was so considerate about explaining everything and giving us plenty of time alone with her to say goodbye. It's so hard coming back to an empty house and I can't believe I won't see her again. But at least I know it was the best thing for her. Hearing your thoughts and experiences helped with that, so thanks very much for that.

You did the right thing, as hard as it is and as sad as you must feel now!! You could not have her suffer any more.

I know it's little consolation but at least she is at peace now.

My thoughts are with you xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So sorry to hear about your loss.
    She'll be at peace now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,579
    Forum Member
    I have been reading this thread, although not posted on it yet, until today. I am so, so sorry Caterpillar that your cat was PTS. You sound like a wonderful owner, and today you have done the best and most kindest thing that you could have done for your cat. She would have know how much she was loved, by this act alone. My thoughts are with you today. xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caterpillar ~ I'm so sorry for your loss. But you did the right thing & whilst you are grieving with a big, empty space in your life, at least you know that your act of kindness was the best thing you could have done.

It's hard at first but you'll soon remember all the good memories & what a lovely life you gave your cat.
    Forum Member
    Zigesa wrote: »
    She would have know how much she was loved, by this act alone.

Thank you so much, Zigesa, that's a real comfort.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. They mean a lot to me.

I'm going to switch off the computer now and have a very quiet evening and try to unwind a bit. And remember some of the many happy memories I have of life with my very lovely cat.
  • jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm going to switch off the computer now and have a very quiet evening and try to unwind a bit. And remember some of the many happy memories I have of life with my very lovely cat.

Thoughts are with you at a terrible time, your just enjoy the happy happy memories with your cat, i bet you have thousands.

xxx
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caterpillar, I'm so sad to hear of your loss. It is very hard at first, but time will heal.

Have you thought about having another cat ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss caterpillar
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Concentrate on that exactly, as hard as it may seem sometimes, you will reach a stage where the happy memories will be more powerful than the grief you are experiencing right now.

I still think of my wonderful big ginger Tommy, my trusted furry companion when I was little, and I like to picture him in Cat Heaven, being fed salmon and sardines by a bunch of very kind cat angels :)

There's not much anyone can say on here to make the hurt better right now, but please be assured there's always someone on here to talk to should you need to.

And please don't ever feel guilty that there is something you should/could have done better - I've just read this thread and it is very obvious to me that you have provided puss with a very safe, loving and caring home.

Take care, caterpillar x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been out today (it was a beautiful day here) planting some forget-me-nots over the spot where I buried my wonderful and lovely old cat just over a year ago.
    She's still a precious memory to me, as your lovely cat will be to you, caterpillar.
    Treasure your memories.
    I know that one day you'll be ready to love another cat just as much again.

Thinking of you.