I Think We Need A Memorial Thread

Comments

• R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't alleviate your sense of loss, but I bet if your little girl could choose another Mum all over again, she'd choose you.
    x.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter had to have one of her greyhounds PTSd today
    he had been limping over the holidays, took him to the vets they gave him pain killers & told to come back in 3or 4 days later if still the same

took him back today gave him a x-ray & found he had the big C, in his back leg & was spreading to the rest of his body .......... he was only 6 yrs old :(

RIP Jack :(
  • APInnAPInn Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Just come back from the vets, having put my beautiful cat Molly to sleep. She was 17 years old, and only been ill for a few days. Today she got worse so took her to the vet, where she was having trouble breathing due to fluid retention in her stomach, This teatime, The vet called us back to say her breathing was worse and she wasn't expected to last the night. IT was dreadful seeing her struggling to breathe,:cry: By now she was on oxygen and I held her in my arms with my son and partner stroking her as the vet put her to sleep, as she went she looked straight at me as we all stroked her. Heartbroken. Tomorrow we are going to pick her up and bury her in the garden.
    R.I.P Molly
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,641
    Forum Member
    Just got back from the emergency vet.

Said goodbye to my little cat Boo, only 5 and a half years old.

Hardly any warning. Off her food yesterday afternoon, a little bit lethargic when I went to bed. Woke up at midnight and she was fitting and freezing cold.

Vet said there was no option, she was in pain and her heartbeat was fading, her blood pressure was low and she was completely unresponsive.

RIP little darling, it was a pleasure having you in our family for those few short years.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter had to have one of her greyhounds PTSd today
    he had been limping over the holidays, took him to the vets they gave him pain killers & told to come back in 3or 4 days later if still the same

took him back today gave him a x-ray & found he had the big C, in his back leg & was spreading to the rest of his body .......... he was only 6 yrs old :(

RIP Jack :(

Sorry to hear that. Lovely dogs.
    :-(
  • APInnAPInn Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Just got back from the emergency vet.

Said goodbye to my little cat Boo, only 5 and a half years old.

Hardly any warning. Off her food yesterday afternoon, a little bit lethargic when I went to bed. Woke up at midnight and she was fitting and freezing cold.

Vet said there was no option, she was in pain and her heartbeat was fading, her blood pressure was low and she was completely unresponsive.

RIP little darling, it was a pleasure having you in our family for those few short years.

So sorry to her that clm2071 - my heart goes out to you x
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,641
    Forum Member
    APInn wrote: »
    So sorry to her that clm2071 - my heart goes out to you x

Thankyou x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    On monday the 12 of January, our gorgeous little Yorkie Kandee went peacefully to sleep and left us after 16 joyful years together.
    I write this broken-hearted, knowing that another light has now gone out in our lives (our boy dog left us last november), and that our lives will never be the same again.
    Bye-Bye my little baby girl - I hope that you get to the Rainbow Bridge.
    :(
  • MmmbopMmmbop Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our cat passed away last night. She never had a name, just a series of nicknames, 'Puss', 'The Cat' and 'Kitty' basically with much more stupid ones thrown in every now and then. We don't know how old she was, she just turned up about 10 or 11 years ago and never left. Been part of the family for longer than a decade though. I never even thought about having a pet but I was about 12 when she turned up and I've adored that little cat ever since, and now love all cats. Thanks for looking cute, making me laugh and being a little friend to everyone in the family.

RIP Puss x :(
  • catscradlecatscradle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Dear little Tia, a silly, energetic, naughty, intelligent Border Collie. Died aged 14 on 7/01/15. Run free and chase frisbees little one. I love you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to put my boy to sleep on Tuesday, he was nearly 10 and we've had him since he was 6 weeks old. I created a thread about him, Zinda.
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to have my beautiful little cat Bella put to sleep on Monday (30th March) and it's completely left me broken hearted. She had been ill since around January, cancer was suspected and it was a tumor, we did and paid lots to keep her comfortable and to get better but in the end her body wasn't able to get better naturally etc etc and by Monday she was looking tired and we knew we were just kidding ourselves this time.

RIP Bella x

(& also to all others in this thread!) x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit OT but although I'd never give my cat a bone she did manage to steal a lamb bone from my plate when we'd had her just 3 or 4 weeks. It was a tough piece of meat that I put to one side intending to strip the meat off for her later but she darted in before I could stop her. She was still so small it was funny watching her as she strode around the room with this bone in her mouth growling at us if we dared go near but although we laughed neither of us actually dared to take it. She only surrendered it rather grudgingly when she had stripped it clean. Thankfully she has better table manners now. 😸
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents are having their 17 year old border collie cross put to sleep on monday afternoon. He likely has heart failure and has been coughing a lot and has gone downhill very suddenly in the last few days. They have given us the weekend to say goodbye and I will be there to support my mother when the vet comes and does his job on monday afternoon. We had him since November 1998 when he was ten months old and that was three months before I had a kidney transplant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost my little girl cat yesterday, she passed away quietly in her sleep at the age of 20 after a short illness. Broke my heart burying her in the garden. I know she was a good age but, that offers little solace. It's just me now for the first time since I left home twenty years ago. Myself and my girlfriend at the time got her a week after I got my first place. I've moved three times and had a few relationships but she was my constant companion throughout.
    The house feels empty.
    She will be sorely missed.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R82n8 wrote: »
    Lost my little girl cat yesterday, she passed away quietly in her sleep at the age of 20 after a short illness. Broke my heart burying her in the garden. I know she was a good age but, that offers little solace. It's just me now for the first time since I left home twenty years ago. Myself and my girlfriend at the time got her a week after I got my first place. I've moved three times and had a few relationships but she was my constant companion throughout.
    The house feels empty.
    She will be sorely missed.

:cry: You've got some lovely memories of her though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry: You've got some lovely memories of her though!

Many. :)
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost our lovely Molly on the 19th of April. We found her with her cage under a gorse bush, up a hill, in the middle of nowhere, in May 2009 and was approximately 2-3 years old at the time. She started to develop muscle wastage in her back end last year, and over the past month or two, she'd had x-rays, pain meds etc, but on Sunday, she rapidly deteriorated and you could see it was time for her to go.

We're very upset as she was our first rescue bun (her current partner is doing well though) and she taught us so much about them. There will never be another bun like her and we had a relationship with her that we'll never have again. We loved and hated her in equal measures sometimes, thanks to her sharp teeth and sassy attitude, but overall she was an absolute delight and I'm so glad we could give her a safe home for the almost 6 years that we had her.

Goodbye Molly.

Molly 01 (taking her medicine)

Molly 02 (just staring as usual)

Molly 03 (using the dog as a pillow - one of my faves :) )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bless. You did all you could Kiv, that last pic is lovely.
    Sorry I replied so late, have been avoiding the pet thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    We lost our cat, Mo, last Wednesday 17th June.

We were on holiday for a couple of weeks and my in-laws were house & cat sitting for us, during the occasional Skype call we saw Mo and there was nothing obviously untoward. However on our return on the Tuesday evening, we could see that she had laboured breathing and was not her usual self - to the extent that some fish was just nibbled at rather than being wolfed down.

She had been on blood pressure medication for the past 15 months or so, but in those two weeks she had been eating and drinking less than usual. Getting her to take her tablet in the evening was apparently a chore - something we'd not had a problem with having wrapped it in ham / corned beef / chicken.

We took her to the vets first thing on the Wednesday morning and whilst we hoped to get her back home, I think the pair of us knew that the time had come. She had been purring away on the bed in the morning, as usual, but breathing was very laboured. Vet took one look at her and because of the blood pressure issue there wasn't much they could do in terms of operate or x-ray due to the need to use anaesthetics which would cause major complications.

Mo had 16.5 years, of which 11.5 years with us, and we made the difficult (for us) decision to end her suffering. She had struggled on, blind, over the past 15 months and was the most gentle, contented cat you could ask for. Never a bite or scratch even during excited play times when she was younger. She was the best traveller as well, always in the footwell or under passenger seat in the car and never had to be in her carrier. Only looking up when slowing and stopping at roundabouts, she could cope with a 6 hour journey without a sound!

Will treasure the memories we have of Mo - gone but definitely never forgotten.

Miss you Mo!
  • Sarah_1971Sarah_1971 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had my lovely cat Smudge pts this morning. She was 17. She had Addisons disease for 9 years but in the last year had lots more problems with heart, blood pressure and arthritis. Over the last two weeks, she was eating less, it was a real struggle with all her tablets and she has been having seizures.

Although, she may have been able to go on a few more weeks, I made the decision to take her today. I know it was for the best but I feel so guilty. I really wanted her to go naturally but she wouldn't.

I still have her son, nearly 16. He's in good health at the moment. I just hope he'll be ok on his own.
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    We had out 16 year old cat pts today :(. She was rescued from the streets as a stray.

She had been eating less and drinking more. The vet said it was kidney failure with stomach problems.

I didn't want to keep going for myself so we let her go with dignity.

RIP Winnie. :(

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKDID2NW8AAHr32.jpg
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm totally heartbroken today. I had to have my 15 year old baby girl put to sleep this morning and it's devastated me.

She'd been a bit snuffly the last few days which I put down to a bit of a summer cold since she was still purring, eating & drinking fine.

This morning I woke up and although she was there to greet me as she always did every morning for 15 years, she was clearly struggling to breathe properly. She was gagging & coughing and there was white creamy type stuff round her mouth with blood mixed in.

We immediately got her to the vet & while we were there she was in so much trouble trying to breathe and bringing up her stomach contents. The vet told me that there was little chance she would survive an anaesthetic to try to find out what was wrong & that the best thing for Gucci was to let my little girl go.

I'd had her since she was a tiny kitten, the runt of the litter and to lose her is heartbreaking.

She was sedated to allow her to rest with no pain & although she'd been stone deaf for the last year, I stroked her, kissed her little head and talked to her right to the end.

I'm having her cremated & her ashes will be brought back to me in a scatter tube so I can bring her home and she'll always be with me in the garden she loved laying in the sunshine in.

Is it normal to think I did the wrong thing? After she had been sedated the vet felt her little tummy properly & said she could feel a mass and said that my baby had an episode which she had no hope of coming back from and the only thing to do was let her go peacefully. I still worry that I let her go too easily though and that I should have tried something...anything.

RIP My little bunnykitten, mummy loves you so much beautiful girl.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NirvanaGirl, you did exactly the right thing. Sadly cats are very good at hiding their illness and you have to be guided by the vet when they say there was nothing to be done but make their passing as comfortable as possible.
    Hope you feel better soon and RIP to Gucci.
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    NirvanaGirl, you did exactly the right thing. Sadly cats are very good at hiding their illness and you have to be guided by the vet when they say there was nothing to be done but make their passing as comfortable as possible.
    Hope you feel better soon and RIP to Gucci.

Thank you so much Shrike. I know it was the only thing I could do but I think I just needed someone else to tell me that it was the right thing, if that makes any sense.

It's so hard after 15 & 1/2 years together to lose her, my children grew up with her and she was a big part of our family.

The vet was wonderful and made such a horrible thing so much easier. I really cannot praise her enough and she really put my mind at rest that Gucci would be taken care of very well, until she comes home to me to scatter her ashes.