Any truth to this? and can it be justified...

tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I seen it posted on a my local area facebook page and having a dig around I can't find much else of it other than a BNP link *spits*

http://simondarby.blogspot.com/2011/11/great-electricity-gas-giveaway-salford.html

Apparently it's an Asylum Seeker Team in Salford sending a letter out reminding whomever to top up their gas and electric cards before Christmas. £120 on the gas and £90 on the electric. Naturally it's generating a lot of the usual Daily Mail type "OMG won't somebody think of the old people" comments.

I can't see any letterhead or any sigs which makes me think it's just a fake. What is everyone' else opinion?

Comments

• mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I seen it posted on a my local area facebook page and having a dig around I can't find much else of it other than a BNP link *spits*

http://simondarby.blogspot.com/2011/11/great-electricity-gas-giveaway-salford.html

Apparently it's an Asylum Seeker Team in Salford sending a letter out reminding whomever to top up their gas and electric cards before Christmas. £120 on the gas and £90 on the electric. Naturally it's generating a lot of the usual Daily Mail type "OMG won't somebody think of the old people" comments.

I can't see any letterhead or any sigs which makes me think it's just a fake. What is everyone' else opinion?

Where does the letter say "For Asylum Seekers Only" on it
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    Where does the letter say "For Asylum Seekers Only" on it

Would it need too? I mean if it's coming from the Asylum Seeker Care Team I think that is a big clue? :p
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, what's the point here? Is the suggestion that Asylum Seekers, who aren't allowed to work, and therefore cannot earn their own money, are left to freeze? If the BNP/Daily Mail accept that even Asylum Seekers are allowed to heat their homes in the middle of winter, how do they propose this is done? Should the council give them money, which they could spend on heating, but no doubt would spend on ****, booze, drugs and guns or whatever else Asylum Seekers are prone to do, or should they just give it to them in a form that can only be spent on gas and electricity, such as by pre-paid cards?
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Sorry, what's the point here? Is the suggestion that Asylum Seekers, who aren't allowed to work, and therefore cannot earn their own money, are left to freeze? If the BNP/Daily Mail accept that even Asylum Seekers are allowed to heat their homes in the middle of winter, how do they propose this is done? Should the council give them money, which they could spend on heating, but no doubt would spend on ****, booze, drugs and guns or whatever else Asylum Seekers are prone to do, or should they just give it to them in a form that can only be spent on gas and electricity, such as by pre-paid cards?

Exactly! Asylum seekers, who are obeying the law by not working need support. I think this is another example of someone peddling the idea that "Asylum seeker/illegal immigrants/legal immigrants all the same innit stealing jobs send 'em 'ome blah di blah."
  • Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asylum seekers stand beside the disabled and the unemployed as probably harmless folk who have been vilified and vilified until they are seen, by the Right and by morons, as some sort of societal demons who threaten the very fabric of society and the lives and virtue of our daughters. All nonsense, of course, serving only to show the dishonest and unscrupulous nature of the Right and how they have to resort to lies in the face of policies that are never justifiable.
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would it need too? I mean if it's coming from the Asylum Seeker Care Team I think that is a big clue? :p

It may seem a rather pedantic point to make. but teams like Asylum Care team may target certain areas with an high amount of Asylum seekers but leave the offer open to everyone in that area.
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps we should give our old people some money to help with energy bills as well. Some sort of Winter Fuel Allowance, maybe topped up if it gets really cold...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    Perhaps we should give our old people some money to help with energy bills as well. Some sort of Winter Fuel Allowance, maybe topped up if it gets really cold...

Which is one of the key points that the likes of the EDL and BNP are using, and TBH it's a valid point, regardless if they are vile scum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly! Asylum seekers, who are obeying the law by not working need support. I think this is another example of someone peddling the idea that "Asylum seeker/illegal immigrants/legal immigrants all the same innit stealing jobs send 'em 'ome blah di blah."

If this letter is correct however, are they not getting more support than the elderly and the unemployed? heck having seen the letter they are certainly getting 3x the support I am as a taxpayer. Maybe the BNP/EDL have finally found something rock solid to use against immigration. It's certainly generating a lot of resentment. Especially from workers who cannot afford £90 a month on gas/electric.

Is it even possible to go through £90 worth of electric in one month? and how does that compare to the elderly and the unemployed? I believe the unemployed don't get such support am I correct?
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this letter is correct however, are they not getting more support than the elderly and the unemployed? heck having seen the letter they are certainly getting 3x the support I am as a taxpayer. Maybe the BNP/EDL have finally found something rock solid to use against immigration. It's certainly generating a lot of resentment. Especially from workers who cannot afford £90 a month on gas/electric.

Is it even possible to go through £90 worth of electric in one month? and how does that compare to the elderly and the unemployed? I believe the unemployed don't get such support am I correct?

Ah I see what you mean. I'm not sure really - what do asylum seekers get in terms of financial support normally?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is one of the key points that the likes of the EDL and BNP are using, and TBH it's a valid point, regardless if they are vile scum.

That was a joke, New Labour did it years ago:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Benefits/BenefitsInRetirement/DG_10018657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this letter is correct however, are they not getting more support than the elderly and the unemployed?
    No, asylum seekers don't generally get any other benefits and aren't allowed to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heck having seen the letter they are certainly getting 3x the support I am as a taxpayer.
    I'm a taxpayer too. I'm not getting any "support" for my gas or electricity. What have you done to deserve it?

I know asylum seekers are not allowed to work, and so unless they are independently wealthy, have no legitimate source of income. I'm guessing you have a source of income on which to be taxed.

The amount going on the gas/electricity card does seem to be high for the time period suggested, but without knowing who the letter was sent to, it's hard to guess how much is reasonable. The other point is that they aren't getting cash. They are getting a card that lets them put the heating on. There is only so much extra heating a person can use. It is also possible that they aren't getting £90 a month, but rather, are getting their cards topped up to a balance of £90, to ensure there is always a bit spare.

It's also worth remembering that pre-paid meter electricity and gas is more expensive than buying it after the event in a contract, which is all a big con for the poorest of society, but that's another rant for another thread/day.
  • Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it cannot be justified.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other thing to consider is that most of us paying our gas and electricity by direct debit pay a fixed amount each month. I'm paying £30 a month for gas, but I hardly use any in the Summer, because I have an electric cooker and electric shower. Most of my gas use is for heating, concentrated over four months. If I only paid for my gas over the four coldest months, I'd be paying £120 a month.

Those sums aren't quite so ridiculous if you remember that people on pre-paid card gas and electricity must pay as they go, and can't spread it out evenly over the year.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so peculiar how the term "asylum seeker" has come to make so many people explode with rage.

These are people who, in the main, have escaped horrific hardships, torture and abuse. If you sent virtually anyone down for an afternoon to the local asylum centre, 99% of people would come away thinking we have to do everything we can for these poor folks. The last 1% are probably BNP rioters.

It's a lot like racism in the 60s: mainly fueled by just not knowing any black/Indian/Asian people. The one guy on their street they all loved, it's just the "others" they hate.

And they can't work. So unless you want thousands of dead bodies come Spring, someone has to heat them while their appeals are processed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We just can't afford it anymore. Why do they come to Britain?
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

If we can't offer support to the tortured or abused, then we are in a pretty bad state. However, while the government is happy to pay half a billion to join sides in a civil war and allow our pilots to kill Libyans, then we can afford it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because they're running for their lives from horrors we can only imagine?

I'm sure they have no wish to be not allowed to work, and therefore rely on handouts. They want their claims processed quickly so that they can set up their lives again and find employment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But there is already massive unemployment among British people! How does it benefit the people of Britain to allow these asylum seekers to come here? The system is just being abused. It does nothing to solve problems in foreign lands to allow people that should be fighting for reform to simply flee and live somewhere else. If the same had happened here, we would still be living under feudalism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a taxpayer too. I'm not getting any "support" for my gas or electricity. What have you done to deserve it?

I know asylum seekers are not allowed to work, and so unless they are independently wealthy, have no legitimate source of income. I'm guessing you have a source of income on which to be taxed.

I do, I earn around £11.5k, and because I work 28 hours a week I cannot claim for anything (already enquired), and as every winter looms I have the option of either heating or food.

Do the unemployed get such an assistance with their heating and electricity? if not why not? and again we seem to prefer to let the less well off, elderly and disabled suffer whilst writing effectively blank cheques for outsiders? whilst I detest the odious and disgusting Far Right, they do have a point if this letter is indeed legit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other thing to consider is that most of us paying our gas and electricity by direct debit pay a fixed amount each month. I'm paying £30 a month for gas, but I hardly use any in the Summer, because I have an electric cooker and electric shower. Most of my gas use is for heating, concentrated over four months. If I only paid for my gas over the four coldest months, I'd be paying £120 a month.

Those sums aren't quite so ridiculous if you remember that people on pre-paid card gas and electricity must pay as they go, and can't spread it out evenly over the year.

I pay about 40 a month on electricity and 40 on gas because that is all I can afford, if I run out I run out, I don't get no aid or support. During the summer it's not so bad but I do keep it topped up, last winter the savings I made was obliterated due to the bad weather. Now If I am suffering like this as a low paid worker then what must it be like for the unemployed and elderly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would prefer them to stay and be tortured, or die?

They aren't fleeing from having it "a bit rubbish". They aren't fleeing because they have no vote, or can't get a job.

Are you confusing economic migration with asylum?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But there is already massive unemployment among British people! How does it benefit the people of Britain to allow these asylum seekers to come here? The system is just being abused. It does nothing to solve problems in foreign lands to allow people that should be fighting for reform to simply flee and live somewhere else. If the same had happened here, we would still be living under feudalism.

If Britain collapsed into a tinpot dictatorship, you and your family were being raped, tortured and threatened with execution, and you fled in the night in a boat to France, I'm sure you'd be delighted when someone announced at Calais "But how does this family benefit France! Send them back to be murdered! They should be fighting for reform! Zut alors!".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whilst the asylum issue is an issue for the Far Right it isn't an issue issue for me. Most have legit reasons for fleeing here, even if they do cross several safe countries to get here. lol It's the amount they are giving them thats an issue. Either bring the amount down in line with what the UK unemployed have to make do with or bring the amounts given to the unemployed up to match what the asylum seekers get. Of course the ruling elite and capitalists won't do this because this kind of friction provides them with the distractions they need.