PLT / homeplugs

Comments

• plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Incorrect. The emergency services radio's also worked..........So, did most of the landlines, apart from those physically broken obviously.

and the internet
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    This sounds like SW DX enthusiasts getting their knickers in a twist. Well, SW is old technology and times move on. Many countries have shut down their SW services, and more will do so in the future. We cannot stop technology because it inteferes with a few people's old-time hobby. Amateur astronomers moan about light pollution, but equally we are not going to turn out city lights or make people blackout (as per WWII) just so they can persue a leisure interest.

Besides that, we all know how tight and rigorous the rules are in the UK regarding just about every gadget known to man. I cannot see homeplugs being legal in the UK if they were that much of a problem re: stray RF.
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Why is this thread in the TV and Home Entertainment Technology section anyway?

Home plugs are a common way of connecting a PC (with media files) or router to a smart TV or streaming box etc. People want to keep wi-fi clear for their laptops, and since TVs, routers, set-top boxes etc. are generally in fixed positions in the house, it avoids running ethernet around. You've got a wiring system that already runs around your whole house called mains wiring, you see.

I note in the States, new houses are being built with ethernet to (several points in) every room, together with dedicated space for a router/modem etc., or even comms rack, near your telephone/DSL point. Hopefully in the UK some day...
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The size of the modern British house, with its poor construction standards, probably doesn't really require Cat5/6 - one WiFi AP could probably cover the shoeboxes you tend to see built
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,449
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    The size of the modern British house, with its poor construction standards, probably doesn't really require Cat5/6 - one WiFi AP could probably cover the shoeboxes you tend to see built

Not everyone (in fact only a minority) lives in a modern house - we see endless examples where WiFi is too poor to use in much of the house.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ever heard of foil lined plasterboard to meet the latest energy loss building reg requirements ?
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picture it -

buys a new ham radio rig
    CQ, CQ, CQ, anyone out there
    Winston here from Digital Spy. Now about PLA's . . .
    fffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
    commits suicide
    Forum Member
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    Picture it -

buys a new ham radio rig
    CQ, CQ, CQ, anyone out there
    Winston here from Digital Spy. Now about PLA's . . .
    fffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
    commits suicide

If I lived next door to Winston, I'd run homeplugs in each and every socket I owned. I'd run 6-way trailing socket extensions with homeplugs in each socket. My house would resemble Chevy Chase's but with homeplugs instead of Christmas lights.

I'd wave Winston a cheery "Hello" on my way to work, as his crimson face glared back at me through his window.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    How evangelical.... Makes Billy Graham look like a bloke with a "bit of a fixation"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    You must have money to burn.
    You'd very soon get a visit from Ofcom's interference investigation department though.

Why? If that's the case, why aren't the many "normal" home plug users getting investigated? Why hasn't Ofcom acted to ban them if they are doing anything illegal?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not everyone (in fact only a minority) lives in a modern house - we see endless examples where WiFi is too poor to use in much of the house.
    Ever heard of foil lined plasterboard to meet the latest energy loss building reg requirements ?

I live in a 100 year old house with thick stone walls, I'm aware of the challenge (probably more so than any new build)

I can still go without PLT by running cat5/6 internally and using WiFi for the mobile devices
    Forum Member
    Why? If that's the case, why aren't the many "normal" home plug users getting investigated?

Fairly obviously (and supported by all the official sites that Winston used to post links to) because there have been hardly any complaints (a very tiny percentage of one percent), and pretty well all have been from Radio Hams (for a long time it was all - but I believe there's been a complaint from a non-ham now - perhaps Winston :D).

This isn't to say that running Ethernet isn't a far better solution, but PLT has a use and a place, and is very useful for many users.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Maybe he was interfered with at some time ......:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in a 100 year old house with thick stone walls, I'm aware of the challenge (probably more so than any new build)

I can still go without PLT by running cat5/6 internally and using WiFi for the mobile devices

Not sure what your point is. How do you run cat 5 if you have solid wood polished floors. Most of my network is hard wired, but I have a 10M gap between a Smart TV and a Foxsat-hdr and a network switch hard wired to my router. There's a fireplace in the way so no easy way to run network cable. A pair of homeplugs bridges the gap nicely. I live in a cul de sac and no all my neighbours well. None have any interference issues, nor do I for those of them also using the technology.

WiFi is unreliable for me.

I don't see any reason to remove them, and why should I ? :o

I sometimes use a 3rd one to create a temporary access point in some areas that WiFi is very poor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what your point is. How do you run cat 5 if you have solid wood polished floors. Most of my network is hard wired, but I have a 10M gap between a Smart TV and a Foxsat-hdr and a network switch hard wired to my router. There's a fireplace in the way so no easy way to run network cable. A pair of homeplugs bridges the gap nicely. I live in a cul de sac and no all my neighbours well. None have any interference issues, nor do I for those of them also using the technology.

WiFi is unreliable for me.

I don't see any reason to remove them, and why should I ? :o

I sometimes use a 3rd one to create a temporary access point in some areas that WiFi is very poor.

Cables don't have to be run underneath floors?

I'm not telling you what to do, I'm saying that regardless of the age of the house, there are ways around using PLT - and that personally I refuse to use it because it is unreliable and crap. I'd rather see 1Gbps guaranteed than around 100Mbps occasionally
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cables don't have to be run underneath floors?

I'm not telling you what to do, I'm saying that regardless of the age of the house, there are ways around using PLT - and that personally I refuse to use it because it is unreliable and crap. I'd rather see 1Gbps guaranteed than around 100Mbps occasionally

I can't run externally from the location, only way would be to bury the cables would be to channel out the plaster going all the way round a fireplace. As the only use is for streaming services and file transfers whose speed is restricted by the pvr processor, 100Mbps is more than fast enough (fast enough for Netflix 4K). Anything faster would be a total waste. it's twice as fast as my isp download speed. It has worked reliably since 2008 so hardly unreliable and crap. Strikes me you have a massive bias, the devices certainly aren't unreliable in my experience. Other than shifting large files quickly across your LAN to and from kit that is capable of higher than 100Mbps what advantage is there ?

Cat5 only runs at 100Mbps anyway and I don't have a gigabit router.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the only use is for streaming services and file transfers whose speed is restricted by the pvr processor, 100Mbps is more than fast enough (fast enough for Netflix 4K). Anything faster would be a total waste. it's twice as fast as my isp download speed. It has worked reliably since 2008 so hardly unreliable and crap.

But in my experience it's not even 100Mbps, it's often less and highly variable - but everyone will have different experiences.

Even if I only had 100Mbit hardware, I'd see a consistent and reliable 100Mbps with proper ethernet cabling than over PLT.
    Strikes me you have a massive bias, the devices certainly aren't unreliable in my experience. Other than shifting large files quickly across your LAN to and from kit that is capable of higher than 100Mbps what advantage is there ?

I actually do have gigabit hardware and do a fair amount of file transfers, so gigabit is important to me.

I've tried a few in my home out of curiosity and they don't work very well. Oddly they are worse in the 2000s extension than in the 1900s main house (with wiring from the 80s, I believe)
    Cat5 only runs at 100Mbps anyway and I don't have a gigabit router.

Cat5e (which everyone would have installed if they've bothered to put in network cabling) works fine for 1000BASE-T.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But in my experience it's not even 100Mbps, it's often less and highly variable - but everyone will have different experiences.

Even if I only had 100Mbit hardware, I'd see a consistent and reliable 100Mbps with proper ethernet cabling than over PLT.

I actually do have gigabit hardware and do a fair amount of file transfers, so gigabit is important to me.

I've tried a few in my home out of curiosity and they don't work very well. Oddly they are worse in the 2000s extension than in the 1900s main house (with wiring from the 80s, I believe)

Cat5e (which everyone would have installed if they've bothered to put in network cabling) works fine for 1000BASE-T.

I only need to transfer data across adjacent sockets on my downstairs ring main, and have no need for anything faster (they are 300Mbps units) .
    Forum Member

Why? - what are you doing that requires a full 100mbps? - or do you just like big numbers :D
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a far more serious problem than any PLT causing worldwide melt down:
    platelet wrote: »
    A pie is defined by the OED as "A baked dish of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry."

For too long customers in pubs and restaurants have ordered what is described on the menu as a pie only to find the restaurant is exploiting this vague language and will actually serve a casserole in a pot covered by a puff pastry lid.

It does not matter who or what they are. No matter how few the complaints, any pie that deliberately lacks a bottom should be banned from the market.

Fortunately since the invention of the internet we now have a powerful means of communication at our disposal. So throw away those AM radios; get yourself a modem; dial up and connect to this site to register your disgust http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/64629

This petition urges the implementation of criminal sanctions upon the owners of food outlets that serve items described as pies without a pastry base*

*Exemptions will apply for Shepherds, Cottage and Fish Pies.