Options

RAF Mildenhall, Alconbury and Molesworth to close

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
The American Airbase at Mildenhall is to close. The tanker fleet which currently operate from there will be moved to Germany.

RAF Alconbury and Molesworth are communication bases and have a smaller civilian staff to Mildenhall. Which has over 2000 military and civilian staff operating it.

Some of the staff will be relocated to nearby RAF Lakenheath which is remaining open.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/update_raf_mildenhall_to_close_as_pentagon_reveals_plans_to_move_assets_to_germany_1_3909245

Comments

• Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    I realise that as time goes on the RAF will need fewer airfields but its said to know that when they finally close they are liable to become covered in concrete and become just another sprawling housing or industrial estate.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    I realise that as time goes on the RAF will need fewer airfields but its said to know that when they finally close they are liable to become covered in concrete and become just another sprawling housing or industrial estate.

Well, extra housing is always in demand and industrial estates provide jobs - and much of the land is already covered in concrete anyway.

Actually, the RAF doesn't use the airfields for much. Most of the activity is by the USAF. They are moving and and that's why they are closing. I live close to RAF Mildenhall so it will be interesting to see the impact around here. The USAF activity there does put a lot of money into the local economy (and drunken servicemen and women into the local towns at weekends)
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Any fule kno you cant close Molesworth!